Shoulder-mount baritone/euphonium

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so.... where is the shoulder mount? Is it like a strap?

It's the contra-ish leadpipe coming off the mouthpiece. It's convertable just like the yamaha tuba's.

Glen's answer was YES... bell front brass in any key... so they would be OK

The slide rule was a clever way of saying no slide trombones

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought he said, but just wanted to make sure. :)

Shoulder-carried baritones/euphoniums do not produce a good sound either. While they may be a fair compromise for school, they would be a very poor choice indeed for a serious band or drum corps.

Thanks for the info. I think the main concern is buying a single-purpose horn, and justifying the expense (we're a brand new mini corps, and for now, it's BYOH (bring your own horn)). It's a matter of economic feasability, and being able to get the most use out of the horn, both for concert and DC (especially if this thing should happen to, heaven forbid, not last). Is it because it's on the shoulder rather than upright, or does the convertible lead pipe do something to the sound (I'm a horn player; I know next to nothing about euphoniums)?

Back in the 50s or early 60s there was a contraption :P that looked like you described. It was a should mounted euph and was used by a (some?) girl corps instead of contras. Think I asked the question because I saw pieces of the beast down in our corps equipment room.

Are you sure it wasn't one of those baby half size contras?

Are you sure it wasn't one of those baby half size contras?

Nope this was about a third the size of the baby contras. Westshoremen had the babies in the 1974 corps when they reformed so I saw a good bit of the "little" guys. Will try to get a another look this weekend at practice. Have yet to see a picture of this horn.

:P Trying to picture one of these horns on Jays shoulder. :P

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Is it because it's on the shoulder rather than upright, or does the convertible lead pipe do something to the sound (I'm a horn player; I know next to nothing about euphoniums)?

The horns that are convertable are student-model instruments, and really aren't built for sound. They are also three valves, which is a pretty good giveaway that it's not going to be that great on a concert setting (not without a fourth valve, let alone a conpensating system).

Now, that being said, I know plenty of folks that use three-valve concert euphs for things like community band. It certainly will work, it's just not the best choice (but it's not the most expensive choice either).

As a marhcing horn, the lead-pipe adapters just aren't that well built. Even yamaha's older convertable tuba (with the horizontal valves) were not that well built for marhing, and had some pretty serious durability issues when it came to the lead-pip conversion system.

I'd probably still buy a bell-front marching horn, but that's just me.

Can someone post a picture of what they look like? I'm curious...

I'll grab you a picture of one the next time I get down to Patrick's here in St. Peter, there is one hanging on the wall. When the Govies used them, we called them Tromboniums.