First score contest

I'd say we two blondes weren't too far off the mark.

I believe your Phantom score was much closer than mine. I was hoping for an extra point I guess. Actually both of my scores were a point or so too high.

Yours were on the money I think!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not really how it works in drum corps anymore...

If you don't change your show midway through the season, you "max" it out or peak too early...or you stagnate.

there is no such thing as "max-ing out" until you score a 100.00. judges dont throw more points at corps for changing up the show to something they like. there's no "show-design" box on the sheets.

i would love a real explanation on this max-ing out thing. do judges say (on their tapes), "you guys are performing the heck out of this show. the brass is amazing, the drums are smokin', and the colorguard is freakin' on. but i can't bump your score up because you didnt make significant changes to the show during mid-season."

I can't recall a Top Five corps since the days before I marched that did not change their show in some significant ways as the season progressed.

Everyone changes stuff. If I am wrong, I would like to hear of the DCI Finalist corps that kept the show the same throughout the year...

i'm sure if you look at some champion corps from 2000+ you'll see a few

there is no such thing as "max-ing out" until you score a 100.00. judges dont throw more points at corps for changing up the show to something they like. there's no "show-design" box on the sheets.

What? You are very naive if you don't think that this sort of judging doesn't still happen. If you have the same show from beginning to end, and other competitors began to catch up, then you have maxed out your show...particularly from a GE perspective.

Well, point some out to me. Tell me -specifically- which champion corps from 2000+ did not change their show from the beginning of the season to the end of the season.

What? You are very naive if you don't think that this sort of judging doesn't still happen. If you have the same show from beginning to end, and other competitors began to catch up, then you have maxed out your show...particularly from a GE perspective.

Well, point some out to me. Tell me -specifically- which champion corps from 2000+ did not change their show from the beginning of the season to the end of the season.

no need for name-calling bro. i've taught div. 1 corps, and while i dont claim to be an expert, i do know a little about this. if corps X is catching up to corps Y, it's because corps X is getting cleaner and sounding better at a faster rate than corps Y. maybe corps Y should focus on getting clean rather than changing the show to please the judges.

name a corps? well its already been done in this thread. Cavaliers 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005....

there were "tweaks" in all of the shows, most of which were not noticeable to the regular fan. every year the ending was changed, but again, that was pre-planned. but major/significant changes? no.

no i did not teach the cavaliers.

Edited by bluemarlin82

Embelishments of thematic ideas? of course. A major reconstruction the likes of BD 2002 or Phantom 2005? not necessary. During my tenure, we ALWAYS learned the 'real' ending to the show at the beginning of July and threw it in around San Antonio, but this was a planned event, not a reaction to poor winter programming. In addition to the strategic implications, the corps would simply be unable to perform the true ending at a readable level at the beginning of the season. In fact, in my second year with the corps, we made the usual ending change and then added another tag on for the Murfreesboro show. But again, these changes were planned long before the corps learned its first drill set. Aside from the annual ending change, the changes to the show were minor, and almost every one of them took the form of an additional responsibility (usually movement or choreography of some kind). So again I say, work smarter not harder... to which I add that show changes are certainly necessary to enhance effect, but these should come in the form of embelishments to an existing framework. When the form of the entire show changes, winter planning was insufficient and you're working harder than you had to in the first place. That is all...

oh... and Viva la Primera Competencia

<**> Talk about "snooty"...Maybe I'm not reading this as intended, but you come off as rather rude...That is all... :bleah:

i would love a real explanation on this max-ing out thing. do judges say (on their tapes), "you guys are performing the heck out of this show. the brass is amazing, the drums are smokin', and the colorguard is freakin' on. but i can't bump your score up because you didnt make significant changes to the show during mid-season."

You are operating under the assumption that all corps have great show designes from the start. And that is not the case. As a staff member, you should know that many judges make design based comments. Some things are just not effective and need to be changed. A staff should write a show with that in mind. But that doesn't always happen. Sometime a corps does not or can not change enough. Sometimes a corps is just stuck with a bad concept, or some bad pieces, and it just can't be fixed. And the corps that do change their show to reflect the crticism they recieved, will pass them by.

And you need to be honest. Judges are people. Not tick-counting-machines. Drum corps is not all about execution. Design is a component. And the opinions of judges are also components. That needs to be taken into account. People can get bored with a show. If a corps comes out of the gate with a run-of-the-mill "Broadway" show, it may not wow that many people. They can have alright music and alright drill and still execute it very well. But execution is not everything. If the show is boring, it's gonna get docked. And if it stays boring and doesn't chane, it's gonna keep getting docked until the end.

Difficulty has a lot to do with "peaking" as well. From an indoor perspective, I have seen a lot of line with simply easy shows. At the first show, they would be kinda dirty. But a line with a really hard show would be very dirty. The line with the easier show would win. But as the season progresses and both lines work hard, the line with the easy show only has so much it can work on. It only has so much getting better it can do. After that, they are just doing the same thing over and over. But the line that started out with the dirty but harder show, they can take it farther. They might not be where they need to be until the very end. But that's all that counts. Finals. A staff that writes a show to be peaked at finals is the staff that has it figured out. The staff that writes a show that is great by July is only brewing stagnation.

Now you may not agree with some of that stuff, or think it isn't fair. But that is irrelevant. Peaking is in fact a real thing to be dealt with.

Edited by G-Cym

well let me ask you this, if other corps plan better than you do in the winter, should you just sit there and take it, or go hash things out/change up your show... you cant control how well other people plan.

This is a really good point as well. No one knows what the rest of the teams have until they start competing. If a corps finds out it's design is lacking, should they just keep going with it, or try to do better?

And even for the corps at the top, it's always a fight for the top. No staff is going to give up chances at making a better product. They are always on the lookout for something new that will give them the edge. That's as it should be.

Changes are neccessary. Those that don't, peak. And lose.

I had the bluecoats score almost dead on

Mine 70.7 actual 70.65