Making a statment of being rude?

Says who??? Who are you to say that a corps who isn't complete isn't getting a lower score than what they would have had they been finished? Who's to say that their 73.5 wouldn't have been a 76.2? I mean really, what a silly comment. And just because a corps is complete, doesn't mean that what they have is automatically better than a corps who isn't complete. Come on, people, you should know better than this. At least I hope you should know better.

Actually, it happens. It's not silly. Judges tend to give corps, especially corps with big names, the scores of how their 8 minutes went, and assume the other 3 would score in the same box. It's a "courtesy".

Personally, I think that early season shows should have a very simple penalty. If the show is, say, 9 minutes, they miss the 10 minute min by 10%, penalize them 10%. If it's standstill, just penalize their visual 10%.

Do I think booing is bad? Well, it won't be understood for what the original poster intended. I think he got jumped on awfully fast. At some point, the ticket price is the same. Sometimes the early show is all you get. How about the Phoenix show? 5 corps, and they all debut that night. Do you see them discounting tickets for it? Not a snowball's chance in Phoenix.

The only thing I suggest about early season shows is to find out if it's not done, and then not go if they aren't. I couldn't do that; I'd go anyhow myself. Booing won't win you any friends. And as frustrating as the unfinished shows are, my personal opinion tells me that until a significant change in scoring occurs for not having a full show, tweaks will continue, and unfinished products will end up on a competitive field.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do shows that have 20% missing off the end get 20% lower scores? not that i've noticed-- however to answer the question of the post-- yeah i think its always rude to boo... does anyone seriously think that's appropriate?

We should also get a discount because if I see a corps in early July I'm not getting the same product as if I saw a corps in early August!

Some of you are silly sometimes. First there are people complaining because corps release recordings of Winter Camps that don't sound very good. Their argument is that a corps shouldn't put something out there for the public to see if it's not at a certain level. Now there is this thread complaining because corps are trying to maintain a certain level of execellence at early shows. I personally would rather see 9:30 of some ok drum corps than 11:30 of crap that was thrown on the field in a rush to be "complete".

By some of these arguments corps should not be allowed to make mid season changes because that's cheating the people who saw the show on the first night!

And also, a question to those of you who keep saying, "If you don't like it, just don't go": Why on earth would you ever tell someone to NOT go to a drum corps show? I'm just going to assume here, that DCI doesn't want people to NOT go to their shows!! DCI wants people at their shows! Corps want people at their shows! And corps members should want people at their shows! Why are you telling people to NOT go????

Do you think we really want people to stay away?? The only reason I said it is because it's pretty clear that these people just will not allow themselves to enjoy anything about an incomplete show. Seems to me as if it would probably be best for everyone involved if they do stay home. I'd love for them to be there, but not if they're gonna sit around being miserable. They won't enjoy themselves, the corps won't enjoy them sitting on their hands out of spite, and I won't enjoy sitting next to them listening to them gripe all night long.

Actually, it happens. It's not silly. Judges tend to give corps, especially corps with big names, the scores of how their 8 minutes went, and assume the other 3 would score in the same box. It's a "courtesy".
All I'll say is that in my experience of many years going to critiques, this is not the case.

Some of you are silly sometimes. First there are people complaining because corps release recordings of Winter Camps that don't sound very good. Their argument is that a corps shouldn't put something out there for the public to see if it's not at a certain level. Now there is this thread complaining because corps are trying to maintain a certain level of execellence at early shows. I personally would rather see 9:30 of some ok drum corps than 11:30 of crap that was thrown on the field in a rush to be "complete".
Good point!
By some of these arguments corps should not be allowed to make mid season changes because that's cheating the people who saw the show on the first night!
Or else they'll say that any corps who needs to change things mid-season wasn't prepared in the first place and it's just a move to satisfy the staff's ego or some other nonsense.

Here is what needs to be addressed before one can consider such an action, like booing.

1. Does it bother you that much that you may not see a corps' full show?

2. And if it does bother you, is it such a desparate situation that only booing can solve the problem?

3. Who interprets the booing as only being for the staff? Because fans, marchers, staff, and judges may all be offended by this.

4. Should we also consider the 8 or 9 minutes of full show that we received? Perhaps we need to view the glass as more than half full rather than not completely filled. Maybe we need to consider the wonderful musical excellence and entertainment that each corps is trying to give us, and what they DID achieve, as opposed to what they DID NOT achieve or finish?

Booing is a negative reaction to one's own anger when their expectations are not met, and when they strongly feel someone is to blame and that punishment is necessary. It is not a positive. It is better to walk away or to complain after the show to a close friend or confidant. To think that booing is a positive, or even necessary, is akin to saying that others can boo those who boo (which only supports more boing), and that perhaps someone could even get mad enough that they ultimately hit one or two people for booing because they, too, could not control their anger and felt that someone needed punished for their actions. In the stadium, we are not the lawmakers, but we accept fully the responsibilities of good civil conduct, conduct that shows respect for the self and for society's common good. All fans must serve and be served. We desire entertainment, but we also need to support the corps, and this two-way street is what builds the bridge between common good and self needs, and it is what allows us to develop favorite styles and corps, yet to be supportive of all. To boo only supports the selfish because there is no way the booer can effectively act for all fans. Their actions speak more about selfishness and their lack of ability to respect what was given, even when in complete dissagreement, and to show some tolerance for the other fans, and perhaps parents of the performers. Your own opinion is valid, regardless of what that is, but there is a time and place for it.

Jonathan Willis

since no one is probably going ot forgo a show bc of it... would it be rude when a DISCLAIMER: it wouldnt be booing the kids... it would be booing the staffs, etc..

I just wanted to correct you on one item. I'm forgoing a $50, $35, $20 or even a free ticket for a July 4th performance from some top names for what they don't have even by the first week in July. I wish I had my money back from the last 5 years of that show, but the reunion of people made it worth it. This year, um, no go.....

So not all people are all talk!

And yes, I do believe it would be rude!

I've never booed a performance, whether it was corps, band, WGI, indoor concert, etc. Booing during a performance will always offend the members. If one wishes to "boo," then boo by sending your opinions to the corps staff. That focuses your displeasure at the source. Do it before the next season's show is selected.

If one is highly bothered by a performance, simply walk out. I did that once at a ballet performance which consisted simply of spinning ad nauseum. I met a lobby full of people where we entertained one another with our thoughts on how absurd the on-going show was.

Don't boo. Join the staff, volunteer, or express your opinions to the staff.

Back in June 2002 I went to my first corps show in 10 years with Cadets and Crossmen. Then the Cadets did not have a completed show as the corps just walked between a bunch of sets. Talked to a Cadets dad and he said the weather kept the corps from learning the complete show. And Spring 2002 had horrible torrential rains in my part of the country.

In 2004 there were a lot of posts about incomplete shows at early contests. Appeared a large percentage of corps were not ready by the start of the season and weather was not a factor. Asked what was the difference between 2002 and 2004. Most of the responses I recieved was that in two years the number of sets in a show greatly increased so more time was needed to learn the show.

My guess is the number of sets is still increasing as corps try to do more and more on the field. IOW - get used to incomplete shows early on as it ain't gonna get better.