Making a statment of being rude?

I often wonder how the judging works. Does a corps with an incomplete but clean show get a higher score than the corps who has their complete book on the field by date X, but it's not clean, or at least not as clean?

Judges can only judge what is on the field, not guess what might be on the field or what might be supposed to come next. If the show meets the box criteria as written, it will be scored accordingly. If there are continuity problems and missing guard work, it gets figured in (and when you look at the score breakdowns, you can see that).

By current DCI rules, I'm pretty sure there is a minimum show time that must be met to avoid penalty (I think it's 7 minutes or something like that). Below that time, I think you get a decimal deduction for a segment of time.. I'm not sure what it is but it would be similar to going overtime.

I hope Jeff Mitchell comes around to help clarify this..

Stef

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of those on the field at the time. And it backfired. We hyped like we didn't know was possible and moved from 11th in prelims to 8th in finals.

Mike,

I'm sure I mentioned this to you before, but despite the aformentioned behavior, the performance of RCM at finals was inspiring, to say the least. During the final push, the crowds volume and excitement levels are incredible!

It would be safe to say.........for me, it was the worst, and one of the finest moments in drum corps for me. :unsure:

*pops in '75 DVD*

I felt terrible for the kids in Muchachos then and today. They were out there working as hard as I was. They, individually, did not deserve to suffer the way they did. And a couple have become friends. We've talked about the incident. They wondered how their corps was allowed by (unnamed) people above them to allow this to happen. I don't know.

I would LOVE to have the Muchachos on the field today.

Well said, and I concur, Mike.

*pops in '75 DVD*

I STILL get goosebumps to this day. :)

Regarding schools letting out late - colleges and high schools up here in the Northwest end their school year from last Thursday through next Saturday.

The Cascades all days start Saturday morning. Some of the corps kids that have graduated have (on their own) found places to stay prior to all days to get together to practice with some of the senior corps members at their homes. While they can't perfect their drill, they can certainly enhance their music performance, and their physical well being.

Imagine how hard it is for them to even think that because of how things are in the system that they will always be two weeks behind everyone else at least - always trying to play catch up - knowing that they never will be able to because corps like the Blue Devils have had kids from all over actually move and set up apartments to work all spring.

I'm still in the frame of mind that there should be more of a division of the Division I corps - those that pretty much have kids from 14 to 22 in their lines, versus corps like the BD whose average age is something like 19.2. B**** about something that can be changed or modified, just don't boo.

Edited by Cascade Mama

No to booing. That said, I feel that part of my responsibility as an instructor (and, by extension, ours as a corps) is to do everything possible to get a quality, complete show on the field for every audience we play to throughout the season. I don't subscribe to the "come back later" school of audience, because that person may not choose, or be able, to see another performance that year (or another).

If we fail you, please come tell me (If we please you, make sure you tell the members.). I have a pretty thick skin if you are civil about it. I won't guarantee that I will agree with you* (or that I can change the way things are even if I agree). I will give your opinion full consideration and pass it on where appropriate. It is not an adversarial relationship, or at least doesn't have to be.

See you out there.

*WARNING: You may be asked to help!

No show I have ever been to (OR USHERED -- and believe me, I'm a tough usher) has ever refused to let someone LEAVE the stands during any performance.

People do it all the time.

Stef

The last 30 shows I've been to no one was allowed on the steps to even wait to leave or go up during a corps' performance, as it should be.

I'm not quite sure where or what you're talking about but I can tell you that I missed the 12th place corps at semi's because of it. There's got to be a communication gap here somewhere, either I'm not understanding what you're talking about, and I know you're not understanding what I'm talking about.

The only time in the last 30 show was DCI East while the Glassmen were on and it was a torrential downpour and hundreds of people left the stands.

Malibu, anyone, may I get a witness here?

The last 30 shows I've been to no one was allowed on the steps to even wait to leave or go up during a corps' performance, as it should be.

I'm not quite sure where or what you're talking about but I can tell you that I missed the 12th place corps at semi's because of it. There's got to be a communication gap here somewhere, either I'm not understanding what you're talking about, and I know you're not understanding what I'm talking about.

The only time in the last 30 show was DCI East while the Glassmen were on and it was a torrential downpour and hundreds of people left the stands.

Nancy,

I've ushered shows in the midwest most recently and on the west coast for over 20 years.

Once a corps finishes their 60 second warmup, NO ONE goes into the stands from my tunnel and that's typically the rule of thumb when I've trained ushers, as well.

During a corps performance, it's impossible to stop someone from being a moron and climbing over their row to get OUT of the stadium (and yes, I said moron.. people, if you have to pee, unless you have a medical condition -- and if you do, get an end seat close to the tunnel so you don't interrupt anyone else's view -- go between corps.. if you're hungry, you can wait 10 minutes for that hot dog.. but I digress) -- and once they're at the tunnel, really, there's no reason to keep them there and block what view the people standing quietly and patiently IN the tunnel have while the corps performs. Tunnels are kept quiet at our polite request but we do not keep them clear, so that we can allow as many people in to their seats as possible in the brief time between corps.

No one goes IN, even that person that came out.

There's no way you can police people coming OUT of the stadium during shows.

Stef

Absolutely NO to booing. You're booing the entire organization, including the members who may or may not understand why the booing is occuring, and the members certainly never deserve to be booed.

If you want to see an absolutely complete show, wait until the beginning to middle of July, or better yet, go to championships!

You are right Nancy, we missed a lot of corps getting Italian Ice. They would stop you at the tunnel and you had to wait until the corps was finished.

As far as leaving, to be honest, I don't see that many people leaving during a performance unless it's because of weather or an emergency. We were ushered last year by the officials under the deck because of an approaching storm all during a corps performance on the field. I felt sorry for that corps! Yes, we are guilty of leaving during the down pour in Allentown.