Screeching sopranos that like to hang over and stick out of the ensemb

Oh, will you have those credentials then? I was unaware that you were Maynard himself.

Let me put this another way; Cadets won in '05, tying the highest score in DCI. It doesn't mean every concept and idea that they used was a good one. You can all build shrines to your favourite trumpeters in your closets at home, but it doesn't excuse you for not having a musical style of your own.

man imagine the insults if drummers hung over

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually........dave plays low brass as well.......

and i think he even spins a little bit too.

Haha...

Thanks for the back-up Rich. You're right I play low brass too; but no spinning, unless you're talking about my pencil at work.

And Lisa, yes that was a typical lead sop response. No. I do not think think that hangovers and other abilities make anyone jealous who may be a complainer, rather I consider my fun a musical joke and laugh afterward. In all seriousness, I do know that there is a time and place for everything. At almost every rehearsal and some performances for whatever group I happen to be playing with at the time, whether in LA at a pro gig, a concert band, orcherstra, or drum corps--I'll throw in an obnoxious lip trill or a nice high note during a particularly boring or elementary piece--even on my Conn 8D french horn. Now that's not to say that I always hang over, this is a rare thing. I actually blend in most of my tricks. When I do it the rest of the group knows that I'm only having fun and that I won't do it when it comes time for to add in some taste. I also happen to be a stickler for the written note--I guess I'm kind of a walking oxymoron--that's life. I guess the point there is to say "if you can't play it correctly, don't add anything that would take away from the rest of the group's performance".

Some of my best musical experiences have been in drum corps with very tight releases. The result is much more effective, for both effect and musicality. I'm pretty sure that even the other leads can also agree with me here.

Now I ask you Lisa & Kelli, haven't you ever been tempted to throw a quad as you crossed the front side of the 50 during a show? :P

Edited by ravedodger

Wow Jim..I thought we werent suppose to be sarcatic and take shots at each other on public boards

Guess we got two different memos on that one.

Just messin' with ya, brotha...

It's like a hobby... fun, and easy to do....

b**bs

Ha! With all the Maynard talk, I have to chime in here. I've never been a huge fan of his--not that he's terrible or anything, but I do like a bit of a change-up every now and then.

I have an original 45 called Maynard from 1955-ish which was written by Shorty Rogers and performed by the Kenton band when Maynard was in the Kenton band. Talk about smokin'.

Now I ask you Lisa & Kelli, haven't you ever been tempted to throw a quad as you crossed the front side of the 50 during a show? :P

No. If the guard work was written as such, I would. Otherwise I wouldn't randomly throw a quad which could potentially throw off the other members of the guard, thus ruining their show. Which amazingly brings me back to the point of this thread... why would someone doing this "hangover thing" think that it was ok when it could ruin the show that they SHARE with the rest of the corps?

Screeching sopranos that like to hang over and stick out of the ensemb, Someone please stop the madness.

i agree. please stop it.

there should be MORE hanging over on at LEAST double Cs.. WHERE ARE THE SCREAMERS!

if i want something thats played written on the page, and not in my fast, and will put me to sleep. ill go watch listen to phantom. keep me entertained.. blow my face off

BTW,

for all the talk about drummers "hanging over", check out the end of Blue Devils 2003...

I guess the point there is to say "if you can't play it correctly, don't add anything that would take away from the rest of the group's performance".

Well then, you see...this thread isn't really about you, is it? This thread is about guys who hang over at every cut off (often times out of tune) and have no respect for the ensemble. They think it's all about them, all the while they look like a ####### ### hole... but because of some wierd pecking order that takes place in the hornline, no one ever says anything to them (they just grumble about it to anyone ELSE who will listen). Which is why I'm glad I'm in the color guard...I dont' give a f##k about pecking orders. Last time I checked this is a team effort. Prima donnas suck.

Some of my best musical experiences have been in drum corps with very tight releases. The result is much more effective, for both effect and musicality. I'm pretty sure that even the other leads can also agree with me here.

I wish more upper lead sops knew this little factoid of life.

No, because that's not what is written, and while you think it will make you look awesome, it just makes you look like a ####.

You know what's really funny about me being in this thread? I don't really have a dog in this fight (all though I sound like I do, eh?) I mean, our upper lead sops, they hang over often times.... Jim does a good job of reeling them in though and when the rubber hits the road, they care more about the ensemble and can set their egos aside. MOst of the time. They ARE upper lead soppranos ya know.... B)