Academy

Personally, I'm just glad that Blue Stars have gone to Div 1... their members were ridiculous last year. SOooooo much hype.

How many Blue Stars members did you see on here hyping their own show? I dont remember any.

There were a few alumnis, but a lot of it is due to the fact that the corps doubled in size over 2 years. They should be excited about that.

If you wanna talk about stupid hype, take a look at the hullabaloo from 2004 betwen ECJ and Spartans.

Edited by TuoKaerf

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many Blue Stars members did you see on here hyping their own show? I dont remember any.

There were a few alumnis, but a lot of it is due to the fact that the corps doubled in size over 2 years. They should be excited about that.

If you wanna talk about stupid hype, take a look at the hullabaloo from 2004 betwen ECJ and Spartans.

That may be so, but that was then and you don't see those two corps doing it now. They learned.

Anywho, good luck Acadamy with your first year at finals. I've been itching to be able to finally hear and see them in person :-). The APDs last year were great!

(And yes, over hype is not good. Excitement over something is different than the "my corps X has the best show" crap.)

You peoples are really funny sometimes. It almost makes me want to read jokes out of the joke book I have... almost.

That may be so, but that was then and you don't see those two corps doing it now. They learned.

yeah, the first and second place finishes must have taught them to quit hyping.

:blink:

~>conner

Yep... That hype came for no reason, unless you forgot that those two corps finished in first and second by a long shot.

i didn't mean so much talking up the corps, but kinda talking down academy. not NEARLY as bad as bdb last year though.

and like i said, what gets said online just plain doesn't matter, whether it's hype or "knockdown." what happens on the field is what matters and "talks"

I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, saying that Academy will contend for the title and definitely finish in the top 2-3 is not talking them down. Neither is disputing the claim that they are going to destroy everyone in Division 2 this year, or the claim that no one else should even bother because Academy's going to win no matter what.

I wouldn't say Spartans hyped in 04. ECJ yes, and after the season we looked back and realized how stupid it was. notice last year there was very little hype. all I've noticed for the past years after 2002, the corps that hype the least do the best. those that hype the most are often disappointed. in 03 it was surf, in 04 it was ecj, last year it was Blue Stars and OC. Granted it's not really the members of Academy hyping on these boards, it's those who don't march that are worshipping the land they walk on, which is fine. Hopefully all goes well this season and everyone can be happy at the end and not eat their words.

I don't think I've read that "no one else should even bother because Academy's going to win no matter what" phrase posted on here from anyone who said that Academy is going to win. That's an exaggeration.

Of course everyone should show up. That’s the whole point of competing.

I've got recordings of quite a few of the corps (video) from both coasts, and have seen the west coast division II corps, and I have a firm opinion about who is better right now. BUT by all means go at it. I think hype is okay as long as there is a real reason to hype. We do have some basis for the hype. Blind faith is not cool, and there is a difference here, IMHO. I don’t think anyone is saying Academy is going to win based on blind faith unless you’re counting the fact that they’ve never been to a championship as blind faith.

I know James was not referring specifically to me, but when he says, "it's those who don't march that are worshipping the land they walk on" he should keep in mind that some of us HAVE marched and have been around a good while and know how things can work out. This includes for or against a given corps. So, when I "worship the land they walk on" I do so with some knowledge of what I'm talking about. I know there are some homers who do so unfounded, but there are some who have a clue.

Oh and if Academy is bested in the end, GREAT. That/those corps will have to be AWSOME!!! This will be great for division II if it happens.

Besides, it's DC armchair Planet. We don't matter. It's all opinions. No harm, no foul...

Edited by jjeffeory