Why can't we let the Cadets be the Cadets?

So, what what was the point of this post then? You're saying that people can have an opinion as long as its not "singing doesn't belong" or stuff along those lines? <**>

The point is, that the ORGANIZATION of DCI is backing the cadets. The cadets are not working outside of the lines. And if people dont like the cadets they don't like DCI and they are going to have ALOT of problems soon to come.

Its not that complicated

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if people dont like the cadets they don't like DCI and they are going to have ALOT of problems soon to come.

Its not that complicated

Pardon Me? I like DCI, I like Cadets and I don't like singing. Where does this put me?

And if people dont like the cadets they don't like DCI and they are going to have ALOT of problems soon to come.

Its not that complicated

That is a pretty unfair statement. I have no problem with DCI. I love DCI. Do I like what The Cadets are doing? Not at all. But the fact that I don't like The Cadets means I dislike DCI as a whole?? Please...

The Cadets are controversial, no matter how you look at it, g0at. They'll just have to deal with it, and obviously, they can handle the discussion in here. It's pretty civil most of the time. Ignore those who obviously just hate the Cadets for being the Cadets, but don't make the mistake of thinking that everybody who says negative things about the Cadets is like that.

I am in no way saying that you cannot dislike a corps, or their program.

Well, yes you are. You don't think you are, but you are. You're making it sound as if the Cadets have absolutely no control over what they put on the field, like they have no choice but to utilize all these things. Lest we forget that if it weren't for the Cadets and some of their thought leaders, many of those rules would not exist in DCI...or at the very least, we would still be many years away from seeing them enacted. They are extremely conscious of what they're doing, make no mistake about it. They are going out of their way to be controversial in my opinion with some of this stuff. They want people talking about them. They want people to be passionate about them, regardless of if it's pro or con. And I won't sit here and say I totally disagree with some of the things they're doing, but I will say that just because DCI makes the rules doesn't mean that the Cadets are above criticism...even if that criticism is a criticism of the rules themselves which apply to all the corps.

I think that The Cadets show is a better representation of what DCI shows will be in the future than most other shows. Do I like it? Sure I do. Would it matter I didn't? Probably not. No one in DCI is forcing any of us to go to shows. The best way to protest things like this is not going to shows involving The Cadets. But since there won't be a significant number of people doing this, DCI will probably keep moving in this direction because it is most beneficial to the activity.

BTW, I was under the impression that the best quality to drum corps was all the hard work and character building that comes from practice. I guess it's singing that defines drum corps.

Pardon Me? I like DCI, I like Cadets and I don't like singing. Where does this put me?

Wait hang on, you Don't like what the cadets are doing with singing? Then if you still like the cadets thats greaT! you probably have no problem with the organization, Cadets , or DCI. This thread is not directed towards you!

The Cadets are controversial, no matter how you look at it, g0at. They'll just have to deal with it, and obviously, they can handle the discussion in here. It's pretty civil most of the time. Ignore those who obviously just hate the Cadets for being the Cadets, but don't make the mistake of thinking that everybody who says negative things about the Cadets is like that.

Very true, thats why I stated the Cadets were the FAR right while troopers are the FAR left.

But this thread is not directed towards most people. It's directed towards the constant bashing of the cadets.

Edited by g0at

"I am in no way saying that you cannot dislike a corps, or their program. But stop saying " Singing doesn't belong". Because according to the rules , it does, and it's what the majority of the people want, and the directors. DCI wants to be the LEADING edge in the Marching Arts, and the way things are going, its looking great. If DCI holds back, sticks to its guns, it will FAIL"

Um...everything you just WROTE here is 100 percent opinion.

it's what the majority of the people want

Prove it.

and the way things are going, its looking great.

100 percent opinion.

If DCI holds back, sticks to its guns, it will FAIL

Again, 100 percent opinion. Prove it.

So, why don't WE get to say "singing doesn't belong", which happens to be our opinion, yet YOU get to thrust YOUR opinion on us? How does that work exactly?

Very true, thats why I states the Cadets were the FAR right while troopers are the FAR left.

Acutally...if we're gonna use a political analogy, the Cadets would technically be the far left, and the Troopers, the far right.

Just sayin'. :)