Why can't we let the Cadets be the Cadets?

Learn how DCI works. DCI is The Cadets, Crown, Cavies, etc. The rules changes that have allowed this have all come from the corps directors, many from Hopkins. At some point, the fan base is going to be made up of teenagers, fomer members of this era, and parents who have little/no clue about what corps used to be. I'm only 23, but I blows my mind that Cadets can go from show I loved in 2001, 2002, 2003. Anyone remember Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy? That was CLASSIC drum corps -- that is was corps is supposed to be. Accessible, well performed, entertaining. It's hard to believe they go from that to this. But, let's not lay all of the blame at the feet of Hopkins. Marc Sylvester has been given a lot of control of show design the past two years. Zingali changed drill single-handedly, I hope Sylvester & Hopkins don't do the same.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, this thread title has "borg" all over it ! b**bs I love how the "borg" cant tell the difference between bashing and criticizm. They never get that the drum corps community cionsists of more that borg-esque individuals who think the Cadets and Mr. Hopkins walk on water and that Cadets can do no wrong.

I see people offering opposite views on DCP, not bashing at all, but hence...."borg" runs with it to fester the "woe is me" complex and defend to the death their passion.

But "borg" im telling you...DONT STOP !! You have a right to crusade your cause, at whatever cost you feel to your character, credibility, and sense of reality, you are allowed, because they are your opinions, right or wrong and they are allowed and valid, just like anybody or anyone who thinks different from you.

Remember that when you sigh and get ready to launch an offensive against those of us that dont care for what the Cadets are doing.

~G~

gOat steps bravely up to the soap box to proudly proclaim that the cadets are the forefront, (the far right? oh my - that should give us a hint), the leaders, and that DCI supports their radical push forward into the brave new world of singing/electronics/amps, etc

and that all of us who disagree (regardless of our post grad degrees or long years of marching & teaching) are just too closed minded, too provincial to accept change - we should just grow up & shut up - it's George's way or death, right gOat?

but then you state that BOA shows are far more advanced, and make the Cadets look traditional. "They aren''t that radical, really - you just haven't seen what I've seen"

which is it? Are they radical or traditional? Can they be progressive but also regressive? I don't get it.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth (or somewhere else)

I thought you said these are the same kids? Band kids, going to corps, right? Then how can the creativity be relative? Do those band kids go from their BOA bands, and then feel stifled by those nasty DCI rules that don't let them bring their clarinet? Do all mediums have to encompass all possibilities? It just such a shallow examination of what it means to be creative. It's like saying that Mahler's 2nd is less creative than Mahler's 1st, beacause "he had already done one of those already". Or saying a string quartet piece should be followed by a string quartet + marimba, then a string quartet + marimba + narrator, then a string quartet + marimba + narrator + mime,... your logic is the failed logic of big M Modernism. remember? the last century? aesthetics? oh, sorry

Your incredibly shallow definition of creativity ("something new" or "pushing the rules") is the approach of an artistic youngster, a cul-de-sac. I don't deny George's right to drive down that cul-de-sac, but I strongly disagree that following george is the only way forward.

The Cadets are NOT avant garde - they are using all the trite-est cliche's of post-war modernism - they are NOT musically advanced - they are a drum and bugle corps, and no amount of supposed novelty will make their cheesy expressionism beyond that. If they want to push DCI towards BOA, why don't George, et al make the move to BOA? Then they can have all the shiny objects and tinkle-y technology and woodwinds they want.

If they want to make capital A "Art" (as you represent) George and his designers shouldn't be pursuing it at the expense of a youth activity, by using their clout to push DCI into what THEY see as the future. They should have the balls to make art with the adults, in the adult art world, where these more serious issues are handled. Corps is for kids to experience being part of something larger than themselves, not playing out the tired and lame artistic pretensions of someone who's afraid to grow up. If the choreographers & composers and visual artist of the Cadets really are so far beyond what anyone else in the activity is capable of, they would be working in the real world of choreography and composition and visual art, but they are not. So let's keep talk about "Art" and "Creativity" and "Innovation" in perspective, shall we?

As for "bashing" - your plea for civility is actually a call for all of us to shut up and stop being critical of the Cadets, 'cause you think they rock. It's OK if you think they rock. Are they good? absolutely! Do I salute those kids? yes (and I'm sure they are being well served by YEA!, which is a model organization - stability-wise) Will they remember this summer for the rest of their lives, regardless of where they place? yes. Isn't THAT the point?

Am I impressed by the design? no.

(I'll pause and allow you time to call a Cadet, and see if the organization has folded........)

OK? are they still there?

It's only a forum, where people who have too much time on their hands spout their opinions about an activity that, let's be realistic for a moment, is a mite on a gnats ### on the tip of the tail of the elephant that is American culture. Why would you care if some stranger hates the Cadets? Anyone who really HATES the Cadets, or cares that much about ANY corps their not currently marching in, is pretty pathetic, no? BTW where are you marching this season, gOat?

Tell me again why we'd want to go in the direction of BOA? If DCI is "Marching Music's Major League" shouldn't BOA be stepping up to be as good as us?

Dang... and I thought me trying to get my cat out from under the bed was funny. This stuff is just down right entertaining.

Okay here is what I think. In about 4-5 years a huge drum corps civil war is going to erupt. The contras will be converted into cannons, trumpets to pistols, mellos to grenade launchers, and euphs to anti-drum major artillery. The fabric used for flags will be used for uniforms and by the time the war ends, all of the instruments will be destroyed. So we'll need to mold them into fifes and start anew wil fife and drum corps.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I don't like amps... I don't like singing in drum corps. I still go to my shows... I bought the seasonpass... I wait impatiently every night for the scores to come up. I know things are changing but I would rather enjoy the shows I like then make a scene. Some people with other opinions like to stir the pot, express their opinion all the time, be very active... and that's awesome. I wish I could be that brave and outgoing sometimes.

Humans (especially Americans) can never always get along. Utopia doesn't exist.

I'm accepting our differences and leaving it at that, basically because I'm too lazy and inarticulate to actually do anything (does that make me a Moderate? God forbid I wouldn't be labeled as something!).

"If I were elected Miss Universe... I would save all the puppies in the world and build them a big park where they could all play together. Oh... and make DrumCropsPlanet peace."

Edited by vhsmbdm

My point exactly SF2K4

The BOA kids want to "step up" to a higher level of commitment and intensity, not a higher level of props and synths, when they go to corps

That amazing growth of the individual's relationship with his horn and his corps, and the growth of that corps' unique culture, is the bed of growth for corps, not toys and gimmicks

I can't believe madscout hasn't had something snappy to say

must be sooo much smarter than me...

why do I even go on these whiney threads?

I think I'll go have a beer and practice my pedals & multiphonics - so relaxing