Walnut, CA Show

Indy is the first show where BD is against a non west corps. Ill wait til then to say if these scores are inflated.

First show is actually Dubuque, IA :P ^0^

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Academy impresses me every year. Their sound was crisp - the drill was good but I agree, needs to be more challenging. I expect great things from them in the future. Unfortunately they were out of my size t-shirt - I'll have to go shop on their website. I did buy a window-cling decal for my car tho. SUPPORT YOUR CORPS - buy souvies and donate for gas money!

Kingsmen = I just experienced history. What a great moment - I was almost in tears too when everyone just stood up during the presentation of the colors - it was a true WOW moment. Great huge sound, classic rifle and flag moves - made me almost happy to be 43! Can't wait to see them in full uniform next year at Semis in the Rose Bowl!

Yes, as always the Blue Devils were great - but I gotta give it up for Vanguard, I really, really like there show this year.

Corps at the Crest is becoming one of my favorite shows of the year. Great little venue at Mt. SAC - easy access, nice people and an exceptional line up. I enjoyed every show.

I took a friend with me who went to championships with me over 20 years ago in Madison and she had a blast. She asked all the right questions and really got into everything. She even asked if she could go with me to the Rose Bowl next year! I pulled her back in!

Ryan, was that you on the mic last night? Nice job as always.

Kingsmen = I just experienced history. What a great moment - I was almost in tears too when everyone just stood up during the presentation of the colors - it was a true WOW moment. Great huge sound, classic rifle and flag moves - made me almost happy to be 43! Can't wait to see them in full uniform next year at Semis in the Rose Bowl!

Thanks, glad the impact was what the designers and staff were going for. All the rehearsals were dripping with legends, every session a master class. '07 oughta be special.

Yes, as always the Blue Devils were great - but I gotta give it up for Vanguard, I really, really like there show this year.

As an alumni of the red team I like to say, there's no place I'd rather be than 4 points behind devs at the end of June. B)

Man the Kingsmen Alumni Corps was a Big Surprise and Wow could that Hornline Play, Sounded REALLY Good.

Zeke,

Thanks for the props...my wife was up front in the French horn section and she couldn't believe the crowd response. If you look close, many of the folks in the line are playing vintage piston/rotor French horns/altos/sops/baris, and the sound they generate is really incredible.

If any members of the current competing corps happen to read this, thank you for your applause as we exited the field into the staging area; that was huge. Many of the KMAC members either marched with or have roots in your organizations, and the respect you showed us following our debut performance was overwhelming.

Slightly off topic here but does anyone know why BD is taking Amtrak from CA to Iowa after the Stockton, CA show? Have they always done this?

They're taking the (CA) Zephyr? HA! That's Awesome!!!! I work for Amtrak...to bad i'm not on train 5 &6. Its already bad enough that they pay me to do something I love....but it'd be just plain wrong to pay me to ride AND talk to the Blue Devils at the same time. LOL

I'm surprised that it has taken this long for DCI to kind of hop on the Amtrak idea. There are loads of routes that corps can take for shows.

Cavies up to Milwaukee.

of course all of the surfliners out in california from LA (diamond bar) and Bakersfield.

Toledo has an amtrak station....as does Bloomington/Normal.

Harrisburg, PA has one....Buffalo.

---------------------------------

Corps and even fans alike can get some pretty fantastic discounts if they can fill up an entire car and i think it's an even better deal if you have enough to fill up/charter a completely seperate train.

i know a lot of the sports teams on the east coast use the Northeast Corridor to go from like New York to Washington or Philly and Boston. They charter a completely seperate train i think...

Edited by gumby5647

I think Academy would be right there with the Blue Knights. Academy has some really nice drill with those very nice horn licks. Those rifles were spinning away with those horn licks in sync. The hornline is amazing.

How about the Blue Knights? I thought they improved the most from the night before. They had some good energy tonight and the hornline really put out. Those contras can blow.

BD really came out tonight. The hornline was much stronger tonight. Marching again is impeccable. Those white and blue stripes have a very strong visual impact.

SCV seemed to be just about the same from the night before. The music just doesn't stick in my head, like BD's and Academy's or PC's does. The guard seems much improved this year.

Pacific Crest. I think this show will get judged (by fans) as a comparison vs. the Scouts' City of Angels show in the early 90's.

Esperanza had a much better sound tonight after their first show Friday night. The middle of the show needs work, as I noticed during their Friday rehearsal (spending lots of time on it).

Mystikal hornline mucho better tonight.

When the Kinsgmen was about to play their 1972 drumline solo, the announcer said "I think you all know what this one is called," and then someone in the crowd yelled "Yeah! It's called, Go back to G!"

They're taking the (CA) Zephyr? HA! That's Awesome!!!! I work for Amtrak...to bad i'm not on train 5 &6. Its already bad enough that they pay me to do something I love....but it'd be just plain wrong to pay me to ride AND talk to the Blue Devils at the same time. LOL

Corps and even fans alike can get some pretty fantastic discounts if they can fill up an entire car and i think it's an even better deal if you have enough to fill up/charter a completely seperate train.

They are getting two cars to themselves...... with access to a dinning car.

(I think I've remembered it right)

Zeke,

Thanks for the props...my wife was up front in the French horn section and she couldn't believe the crowd response. If you look close, many of the folks in the line are playing vintage piston/rotor French horns/altos/sops/baris, and the sound they generate is really incredible.

If any members of the current competing corps happen to read this, thank you for your applause as we exited the field into the staging area; that was huge. Many of the KMAC members either marched with or have roots in your organizations, and the respect you showed us following our debut performance was overwhelming.

Amen to that, thank you all. I managed to get through the entire show focused and in the zone but almost lost it when the kids clapped for us as we went by. You can talk badly about modern corps all you want, but don't you ever mention the kids in that. They are a class act and deserve all the respect we have to give. :laugh:

They are getting two cars to themselves...... with access to a dinning car.

(I think I've remembered it right)

So they are going to drive the equipment trucks and the new staff bus and use chartered buses when they arrive?

I had the pleasure to be sitting next to 2 Kingsmen Alumni last night ... who aren't able to make the committment for the Alumni Corps - but were there to witness their 'brothers and sisters' take the field. I can't remember the last time I saw two gentlemen so EXCITED (no, they were 'giddy') and PROUD .... throughout the entire K'man Alumni performance. For those few moments - they were 20 again.

Jerry's (RIP) "ducky-bumps" is the term that comes to mind for the feeling we had last night.

-john