So what ever happened to that amp petition?

Not busting chops B) , but "well" is in the eye/ear of the beholder. Hence the problem in the amp arena (no pun intended).

Yeah, I realize that.

But, it may have been this thread...or the other similiar one (they all run together), where I posited that what we've seen has been very "light" in nature, (describing a dance derby, colors, beat poetry) overall.

In order to get the sense of depth, perhaps trained actors in a setting that implies a more intellectual (and effecting) topic (World War II, Vietnam, Civil War...Shakespeare, Schindler's List, and so on) might be a turning point.

Drum corps, to a very large degree, is about creating an emotional landscape... but not painting in the specific emotions, per se. I think a lot of what we've seen tells us exactly how to process the things on the field, and that's counterintuitive to art in some ways.

Perhaps everyone will just "know" when it's done "well". :P

I dunno. :)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I realize that.

But, it may have been this thread...or the other similiar one (they all run together), where I posited that what we've seen has been very "light" in nature, (describing a dance derby, colors, beat poetry) overall.

In order to get the sense of depth, perhaps trained actors in a setting that implies a more intellectual (and effecting) topic (World War II, Vietnam, Civil War...Shakespeare, Schindler's List, and so on) might be a turning point.

Drum corps, to a very large degree, is about creating an emotional landscape... but not painting in the specific emotions, per se. I think a lot of what we've seen tells us exactly how to process the things on the field, and that's counterintuitive to art in some ways.

Perhaps everyone will just "know" when it's done "well". :P

I dunno. :)

I have seen it done well in Winter Guard (the narration being recorded over the music) and not so well in WGI indoor winter drumline.

The example from guard was a few years back when a guard did a show based on a tidal wave that came ashore in Galveston, if I remember correctly. The use of narration in the form of interviews with survivors was very powerful.

In I think the same year one indoor drumline explored the word "hello" by having a girl repeatedly say "hello" into the mic (Hello. HALL-o. hall-O? HELLOOO! Heeeellooooo) you get the picture? Pretty bad. Maybe it's the drowning out of the live talented musicians that gets on my nerves. It's offensive.

Edit - had to replace ####-o with hall-o, ##### ##### ########### filters.......

Edited by kusankusho

Hey, Stream of Unconcious <**> , you have it real easy, hide behind a blank profile. Did you really march?, or are you some marching band stiff?. Its always easy to stand in the back of the room and cat call. Be a real person and when someone says "who said that?' don't be a weasel and slink away. If you have a point to make stand up and say" I said it, what about it". Sorry to get off topic but I really hate people who want to be opinionated and use anonimity as a weapon. It generally lacks integrity. This is not about pro/anti amps, this is about defining what kind of person you are. Your the guy in the lynch mob yelling kill him from the back of the room. And if any one else is offended, fill out your profile, say your piece and be recognized and not some rodent hiding in your hole. If nobody ever voiced an opposing opinion then you'd still be flying the Union Jack. And yes a minority voice can make a difference, thats why the United States Of America exists. To all reading this post, I see alot of you leave your profiles blank, are you ashamed of your corps? Did you march in a small corps and don't want the big fish to know? Your entitled to your opinion , don't be affraid to voice it, but don't be affraid of being identified.

easy dude, relax. i understand where you're trying to go, but no need to attack or insult.

:rock:

Do not quit that banking job. You have no chance in comedy............well now that I think about it, maybe you do. B)

so glad i have your approval. i can sleep better now

Amps are here.

Amps have been here.

Amps aren't going away.

Get used to it.

Get over it.

and go enjoy a show somewhere! b**bs

i'd love to but i cant hear the drum breaks over the talking on the field :P

It seems to me that you are the one prancing around on a "high horse." Yet, people keep asking for you to make your point and all you say is "I could if I wanted to" and then jump all over other people. In fact, if you would have just posted the reasons for your opinion when someone first asked, it would have taken a lot less energy to simply write them out in a post instead of taking several posts over several days to criticize others. So, why not just post your opinion and your reasons and lets debate the issues instead of your character. Doesn't that make more sense?

:rock::rock:

Mike - we agree on something! Is there a giant comet heading for the planet?????

It's an interesting question - how many pro-ampers would disappear from the stands if amped voice was taken out of the rule book, vs. how many anti-ampers will be skipping DCI shows if this voice thing expands or continues? I'm not sure how to work that on a poll to cover the different angles but it's something to consider.

Of course, the results will never be accepted.......

agreed. in fact in the original petition started by Matt, it was geared at voice more than just amps in genral. i see little omplaining about amps in general except in reagrds to balance. the narration and vocal stuff is 95% of the complaints

kusankusho, I understand that viewpoint completely.

I'm no fan of amplification myself, but...if it's to be done, it has to be done well, and overwhelmingly well, to quell a lot of the debate that we see happening.

Three years in, I think we're all still waiting in some regards.

or at least hoping progress would be made. this year I see more complaints than ever

Mike - we agree on something! Is there a giant comet heading for the planet?????

It's an interesting question - how many pro-ampers would disappear from the stands if amped voice was taken out of the rule book, vs. how many anti-ampers will be skipping DCI shows if this voice thing expands or continues? I'm not sure how to work that on a poll to cover the different angles but it's something to consider.

I doubt you'd find pro-ampers leave if they disappeared. That in no way means they should go away, IMO. You might as well say the same thing abotut multi-key and pits and dancing guards...etc...how far back do you want to go to please those unable to accept these things? I've seen 'if you can't carry it don't use it' posts as recently as this week.

For me, ideally there should be no limits on what instrumentation a corps can use. Doesn't mean I won't attend...and enjoy...shows until that happens. I am fine with whatever the BOD decides should be legal...and I really do not care what others think as it relates to my opinion...that is up to them.

Of course, the results will never be accepted.......

As well they should not be.

For me, ideally there should be no limits on what instrumentation a corps can use.

Yeah...............I know you think that..........You might have mentioned it once or twice, if I remember correctly..............

As well they should not be.

Why not? Why should the demonstrated wishes of the fans not be factored in? What would make such a survey relevant to you? You keep on saying you don't accept the polls and petitions that have been clearly against amps. woodwinds, etc, but I have never once seen you propose a method of surveying the DCI fan community in a way that would satisfy you.

America and Canada - two democratic countries (in theory at least) - how does the will of the fan base get heard by the BoD? OR is DCI just a petty oligarchy?

Edited by kusankusho