Columbia, MO Review

I'm not implying that those with more demand will score higher come august simply because what they are attempting is harder. They do, of course, have to be cleaner...if what you're going to do is more ambitious, you will only receive so much credit for doing something harder...not any extra points for doing something hard yet dirty. I'm just saying that if you are clean this early, then obviously you don't have as far to go, without major changes...not to say they won't put them in, but in its current state, it's going to peak about 2 weeks before finals, IMO...

and yes, it is my opinion, although I'm sure many this year will echo my sentiments as some already have. There's no real substance to the show...I found it mostly boring with some "nice" moments. They are good, no doubt...but the arrangements seem uninspiring. I really don't give the brass book high marks for technicality...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review.. really. It sounds like you just gave your honest opinions and reactions to what you saw and heard and because of it, I felt like I was right there!

It's a shame you have to then defend your impressions.. but dude, you are the bomb. Thanks for being brave enough to share your experience.

I'm SO looking forward to this weekend -- my first show weekend and I'm MORE than ready!

Are you on tour? Uncle Z and I will be at Michigan City and Madison.. probably Cedarburg as well. Let me know, we should catch up!

Stef

As for repeating "someone else's songs" ... The Cadets seemed to do alright last summer with Bjork's "Dancer in the Dark" (I think that's what it was), which the Bluecoats did in 2002 ... and I'm pretty sure no one had ever used a Bjork piece on the field before -- maybe, but I don't think so. And wasn't their closer one that 1993 Star made famous? Sure, that was 12 years ago (last summer), but that's pretty brave to "steal" from one of the most famous shows ever.

As for those two pieces the Bluecoats used the last two years from a recent Madison show ... to say anything from "Cirque du Soliel" belongs to a specific corps is just wrong -- there aren't many corps that haven't used at least something from Cirque over the years, starting, I believe, with Magic in the mid-1990s.

Anyway -- corps use songs they think fits their program and don't care who's used them before. If you want to complain about a corps using something that's been used before, really, let's talk Scouts 2005 with "Carmen" and "West Side Story" ...

- R -

HOWEVER, I must add that I LOVED your review, even if it wasn't flattering for my Bluecoats. You really gave me an idea of what it was like to be there and for that I thank you.

I haven't seen anyone yet and won't until later, but you're not the first to say the Bluecoats might not have the demand and are "too clean" right now. We'll see, won't we!!

As for any comments I make about Madison, one of my best friends ... someone from my hometown whom I taught in high school ... someone whom I convinced to march Bluecoats and did for four years ... is a key person on the Scouts staff for the second year, so I wish him and them nothing but the best -- accept against the Bluecoats!!!

- R -

Edited by BlueR36

As for repeating "someone else's songs" ... The Cadets seemed to do alright last summer with Bjork's "Dancer in the Dark" (I think that's what it was), which the Bluecoats did in 2002 ... and I'm pretty sure no one had ever used a Bjork piece on the field before -- maybe, but I don't think so. And wasn't their closer one that 1993 Star made famous? Sure, that was 12 years ago (last summer), but that's pretty brave to "steal" from one of the most famous shows ever.

As for those two pieces the Bluecoats used the last two years from a recent Madison show ... to say anything from "Cirque du Soliel" belongs to a specific corps is just wrong -- there aren't many corps that haven't used at least something from Cirque over the years, starting, I believe, with Magic in the mid-1990s.

Anyway -- corps use songs they think fits their program and don't care who's used them before. If you want to complain about a corps using something that's been used before, really, let's talk Scouts 2005 with "Carmen" and "West Side Story" ...

- R -

ok, we've established that it's been done before...I even said that in my original post (and it's Phantom '93, not Star)...the point is, it's half of a show...I'm not saying the scouts have any "claim" on this show...i'd just rather hear something from them than HALF the scouts '03 show in the past 2 seasons, that's all...

Thanks for the review.. really. It sounds like you just gave your honest opinions and reactions to what you saw and heard and because of it, I felt like I was right there!

It's a shame you have to then defend your impressions.. but dude, you are the bomb. Thanks for being brave enough to share your experience.

I'm SO looking forward to this weekend -- my first show weekend and I'm MORE than ready!

Are you on tour? Uncle Z and I will be at Michigan City and Madison.. probably Cedarburg as well. Let me know, we should catch up!

Stef

Thanks Stef...I tried to be as complete as possible, and I appreciate the acknowledgement...

and no, I'm not on tour... :( but I'll be at Madison

and finally....

Justin Kaynes (has no brains) was at the show!!!!! He and Cathy drove down from MN...so I told him you were askin about him...and yes, he will be in Madison partying hard at the Stadium Bar. lol

Thanks Stef...I tried to be as complete as possible, and I appreciate the acknowledgement...

and no, I'm not on tour... :( but I'll be at Madison

You mean finals, or for the Madison show this Sunday?

Justin Kaynes (has no brains) was at the show!!!!! He and Cathy drove down from MN...so I told him you were askin about him...and yes, he will be in Madison partying hard at the Stadium Bar. lol

NO WAY!!! That totally rules!! Now at least I'll know where to find him.. (Who's Cathy? Last time I saw him it was just him.. I don't think I know Cathy).

Anyway, thanks for remembering and getting back to me. Now I've got ANOTHER reason to look forward to finals week!

Stef

Quote: I found the drill to be quite gimmicky. Nothing about it seemed to be very exposed. Much of what I saw was best equated with "illusion"...something that looked like what it wasn't.

Hmmmmm, you mean sort of like a "magic trick"?

Quote: Many of their "difficult" drill moments were very scattered so that no discernable form or continuity could be established (at least from my vantage point), giving the "illusion" that what they were doing was very tough (because they were moving quickly) by making it look harder than it was.

In other words, don't believe your lying eyes folks. It isn't hard, it's just really, really fast and looks hard.

Quote: A lot of their drill was like this...it almost seemed like they TRIED to make something look more demanding than it was so that it would be easier to clean...and it appears that they've accomplished just that.

Again, hmmmmm.

Question... did you see any smoke and mirrors perhaps?

Anyway, thanks for the review. Most of it was very informative and objective. Just found the above statements a bit...puzzling. I do realize, from experience, that it can be hard to critique the show of a corps that you're just generally not very fond of at the moment. Maybe not even humanly possible. It's part of a competitive nature. I really do appreciate that you took the time to write a review and I respect your right to your opinion. I sincerely hope that you can learn to enjoy the Bluecoats show at some point. I know that the members are there for that very reason. To entertain their audience.

well, I'm glad someone here decided to point that out...if that's what the first poster intended, he should have just stated that at first. ok, I meant to be OBJECTIVE...it was like 4:00 in the morning and I didn't really feel like proof-reading myself...and then I went and repeated it, thinking someone was questioning my review of scouts...

sooooo...sorry for the grammatical error everyone. I'll do my best from now on to not make one again. :D

It's just because you said something negative about the Bluecoats! Whatever, you were totally objective. Your review was objective..read the definition again. People need to re-read how you discuss the visual (color guard, drill) and musical woes of the Scouts right now. You haven't said anything others haven't, including their potential. You also raved about the Bluecoats guard and percussion. Give me a break - your review was one of the better ones I've seen this year. It's your objective opinons, and everyone's are going to be different. People complain about the cotton candy reviews but then get all up in arms about and honest AND objective one!

One thing you missed was talking about the Scouts UGGO guard unis! :P

Edited by gellio

Just remember that shows with perhaps too much dirt and demand can ultimately backfire, because there is limited time to clean and tweak the right elements.

True but they can also bring big rewards. Star 1990, SCV 2000, almost any Cadet show, many Cavies shows, some Phantom shows. You want to win - your show has to be difficult.