An extremely unprofessional encounter with Cadets director George Hopk

Recently, a page was started on the Cadets website that showed fan reviews of the 2006 show. The website proclaimed to give readers news about the Cadets in a "fair and balanced approach" encouraged me to "send my thoughts on the show at any time." In addition to the two largely negative reviews of the show (due solely to the vocal aspects), I decided to e-mail George with my very own review that I had also posted on the forums here. His response was, to say the least, bewildering:

"I read it ... prove to me you are 17 and a student at Lassiter .."

And later:

"Not sure I need to give your commentary roon on my page anyway.

Your views are at best closed minded."

To show him this proof I sent him a picture of my Facebook profile, which clearly indicates my age and former high school, and the following message:

"Please, if you are seriously trying to present audience reactions to the show in a fair and balanced way, post my review. You know I have no disrespect against the Cadets organization or its members and staff...they are BY FAR my favorite drum corps in the entire world, on a completely different level than any other. The shows from 1983 to 2004 are all, quite simply, complete masterpieces, some of the best drum corps has ever seen; in fact I honestly don't think there will ever be a finer production on the field than the 2000 show...ever. Feel free to edit my review as necessary so that it is appropriate to post on the website."

And then this one:

"Actually, you can even indicate which parts need to be edited or omitted so that the review can be posted on the website; I feel I deserve a chance to share my views on the show as much as anyone else, even though they may not be exactly what you want to hear. I hope you realize I have no negative feelings toward you or any of the Cadets staff ("hate the idea, not the person") and sincerely hope I didn't offend you personally. Your contribution to the Cadets over the past 25 years is simply outstanding, and they wouldn't be anywhere NEAR the level they are at today without you at the helm. Nine world championships? All you. I will say, though, that your "closed-minded" comment was a bit ironic...you won't post my comments on the show simply because I didn't like it, but I'm the closed-minded one? Hmmm... I tried to keep an open mind as best I could and tried to enjoy the Cadets show as much as possible as I have every single other one, but I couldn't. I don't see how this is closed-minded; I simply said EXACTLY what I thought of the show. Of course you have no obligation to post my review, but I would greatly appreciate it if you did. Again, no hard feelings...please? =)"

The last reply I received was as follows:

"Interesting -

I am not posting. I just needed a sample of the love.

I am just too busy to take care of all opinions I receive."

Wow. So much for fair and balanced. Seems more like denial than anything else.

To keep this on topic, though, do you think that the two e-mails on the website accurately reflect the general viewing public, or is it just coincidence that both painted the show in an unfavorable light?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is his website..he can do with it as HE pleases. I must admit that I am suprised he has allowed much of the vitreol to be posted in the YEA page. You cannot accuse him of not being open about things..most corps (my favorite included) would never dream of positing this type of stuff on thir own website.

Personally, I think you are making mountain out of a molehill. He did respond to you, and was honest with his feelings, and upfront about what his plans were.

Perhaps he wasn't touchy-feely..those of you who know GH know that he simply is not that way.

If he was being "extremly unprofessional" he would have told you something like "to go #### yourself.."

That is all.

Edited by EuphoniBone

It is his website..he can do with it as HE pleases. I must admit that I am suprised he has allowed much of the vitreol to be posted in the YEA page. You cannot accuse him of not being open about things..most corps (my favorite included) would never dream of positing this type of stuff on thir own website.

Personally, I think you are making mountain out of a molehill. He did respond to you, and was honest with his feelings, and upfront about what his plans were.

Perhaps he wasn't touchy-feely..those of you who know GH know that he simply is not that way.

If he was being "extremly unprofessional" he would have told you something like "to go #### yourself.."

That is all.

I can actually see it his way. That cite is a for Cadets fans and followers and maybe does not want to get into a heated discussion on their own cite. There are plenty of other forums that that happens on.

I'll admit that asking you to prove you are 17 and went to Lassiter and calling you closed-mined was uncalled for. However, the rest of his response is really nothing to get worked up over. It is the YEA! site after all, and he already posted two pretty negative reviews about the corps show.

Why did he ask about your age and where you went to school? To me, that's the fishiest part of this entire deal. Otherwise, it's just like any other "publication" in existence. They have full right to display what they choose on their site. I know of one television network who claims to be "fair and balanced" and has attracted quite a bit of criticism, for example.

hes already openly posted in his blog that people wont like his shows..

i doubt he cares. he will have cadet followers no matter what he does.. i seriously doubt having you with or against him is going to make any difference in his life.

I dunno, the reviews are seem to be unanimously negative from what I've read here and on that site. Even if he doesn't post them, I encourage everyone to send him your review if you saw the show so MAYBE it can be saved. Doubt it'll do anything, but they do make adjustments over the course of the season, and they might take audience reaction into consideration.

I'm surprised that happened. If that's the way it went down.

I wrote letters of concern to a couple of other corps ( very nice in tone) over the past couple of years.

I never got a responce from one corps and got a really nasty email from another.

I asked the nasty emailer to just explain certain aspect of the show . Later the did and I thanked that person.

I'm glad you took the time to write. Don't stop.

I'm sorry you didn't get the responce you wanted.

I know George, I know he's a good man. I don't always agree with him and I won't speak for him.

The season just started, who knows what will happen , shows change.

George Hopkins = Bill O'Reilly

"Fair and Balanced" riiiiiiiiight...