Changes that were good for drum corps

Word.

...and I've got a #2 for your list, too:

There's still a boatload of fans who are excited, entertained, and engrossed by it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This includes any key brass (it's not the key so much as the construction of the horn. Someone needs to design a proper outdoor marching trumpet rather than just using concert instruments), electronic amplification and amplified voice.

go to tell that BD. they are all using wayne downeys horns and mouthpieces.. designed specifically for the field.

<**>

Yeah, I'd say it pretty much "covers" it, especially in the realm of generating discussion of the "I'm right, you're wrong...wait let me bring up the kids argument so you can't make a rebuttal" variety.

Too bad not everyone feels the same way you do about changes to the activity.

People have differing opinions about where drum corps should go at the audience level, the member level...and even the director level.

Now, you enjoy. :P

Yeah, I'd say it pretty much "covers" it, especially in the realm of generating discussion of the "I'm right, you're wrong...wait let me bring up the kids argument so you can't make a rebuttal" variety.

Too bad not everyone feels the same way you do about changes to the activity.

People have differing opinions about where drum corps should go at the audience level, the member level...and even the director level.

Now, you enjoy. :P

I wasn't bringing up the kids argument so there's no rebuttal. The reason there's no rebuttal is because what I've said is true.

Just one question for you.. Where's the part about DCA is the answer to everyone who hates what DCI has become??

Honestly, enjoy. Seriously. You can have my seat, too. I'll be at a DCI show. :P

Stef

go to tell that BD. they are all using wayne downeys horns and mouthpieces.. designed specifically for the field.

<**>

Those are the Dynasty trumpets I referred to in a previous post. If they were designed specifically for the field, then I think that design might need to be re-evaluated. It could also be BD's style of playing or arranging. I think they are one of only a few corps using Dynasty. I believe most are using Yamaha. I prefer the Yamaha's at this point (or rather I prefer the sound of the corps that are playing yamaha), but I think there could be improvements there as well.

1. Kids on a field playing brass and percussion instruments or dancing and spinning and throwing equipment in the air.. and marching a drill in the summertime.

Stef, you're right on the money, IMO.

No matter what changes have been made to drum corps over the years, the "core experience," to me, is still the same..... corps members traveling together, performing together, forming lifelong friendships..... and fans coming to out to cheer the performers on, whether those corps are DCI, DCA, or alumni corps.

Some things, thankfully, never change.

Fran

Another thing that's good about corps is that "kids" have a choice in what type of corps they want to try out for. Be it Junior, All Age, or (even yes) Alumni.......

No matter what changes have been made to drum corps over the years, the "core experience," to me, is still the same..... corps members traveling together, performing together, forming lifelong friendships..... and fans coming to out to cheer the performers on, whether those corps are DCI, DCA, or alumni corps.

Fran

Thanks Fran.. It's guys like you who remind me that not all of the DCA fan base are like what we often see on the DCI boards bashing the junior corps.

Love ya.. don't scratch any records!!

Stef

I wasn't bringing up the kids argument so there's no rebuttal. The reason there's no rebuttal is because what I've said is true.

Just one question for you.. Where's the part about DCA is the answer to everyone who hates what DCI has become??

Honestly, enjoy. Seriously. You can have my seat, too. I'll be at a DCI show. :P

Stef

What you've said is true...to you. Your subtle jabs at "experts" shows that you are purposely trying to make this not a "discussion thread", rather pursuing an open-ended kind of talk. That's the reason there's "no rebuttal"...that and this thread is a sarcastic jab at another one further down in the forum, anyway.

As for DCA, that's not the answer for everyone, either...nice try at misdirection. A lot of people haven't given up on drum corps at the junior level, even though they may not agree with the changes. It's not as black and white as you try to make it...nothing ever is. What you say above is just a veiled version of "Don't like it...leave" for the most part.

Additionally, trying to further divide people between DCI and DCA isn't really conducive to the well being of the activity....lest we forget there are a lot of those same kids who do senior corps as well. I guess they don't get the same end of the stick, eh?

Painting the DCA fan as some vindictive, "stomp those feet, blast that horn" neanderthal who doesn't get it isn't going to work either as the fact is that DCA is really DCI, just a few years behind.

Amplification will make its way there eventually as well, so there will be no difference in the product, excepting execution levels.

This is all academic to me, anyway...I'm not here thinking I'm the savior of drum corps, and neither are most who post here.

In the same way people don't like favorite sports team trades, plot twists on their favorite TV shows or what have you...some people don't care for what they see on the field, and as insular as the marching arts community is, there's no other "channel" to change to.

So, they come here to complain...this being a message board and all. No one opinion here can invalidate another for the most part.

So, thanks, I will enjoy. ^0^

Fran

I was always under the impression that IS WHY WE did this thing called DC...... :)

Edited by best987