Is DCP founder George a Cadets Borg?

Just an observation - often, when someone says they like the Cadets, they either:

1. Have to apologize first, or duck

2. Are sooner or later called a "Cadets Borg"

Does any other drum corps face this kind of venom or criticism? If not, why?

I have the answer.

We've all been so assimilated, that even DCP guru and founder George has become a Borg, claiming a couple weeks back that this year's Cadets show was "the best June show he's seen in 30 years"? (Perhaps DCP George and Hopkins George are the same person. Or clones. Or both Halliburton employees and in close with master puppeteer #### Cheney.)

My take on things: all through the history of music (think of the riot and fisticuffs at the premier of "Rite of Spring"), art and film (think of almost every major new art show, from the first show of so-called "degenerate art", later known as "Impressionism", to Robert Mapplethorpe to Matthew Barney to fill-in-the-blank), and dance (I've read excerpts of reviews of masters from Nijinsky to Martha Graham to Bill T. Jones who were criticized for degrading dance and ballet, and even for not being "dance" or "ballet" at all), the so-called influential critics have many, if not most of the time, been defenders of a phantom status quo. In hindsight, they look like idiots. And parasites. And irrelevant. Because they largely are.

Why is it when any corps tries to take up the banner of changing the status quo, they get their collective beating on this board?

Don't get me wrong - when the Cadets were not being the Cadets - in 2003 - and they were recycling old idea after old idea, I cut their show designers to pieces. It was a "status quo" show that year. Tribute shows are tripe, and unfair to the marching members because, I said, they'll always be compared to the originals. That was my first post on DCP. A critical post, yes, and perhaps I was an idiot for posting it (or a self-loathing Borg), but I did anyway. I said they used to be known in the 80s as a corps who sold T-shirts screenprinted with "first we zigged, then everybody zigged. Zag!" Because they were arguably the most innovative corps out there. That's why I originally loved drum corps: it made me feel, and THINK.

I'm just glad that they're pushing the envelope this year. (If it's an envelope they're pushing. Or if they're actually pushing hallucinogens ;) )

Go ahead and criticize. Debate is what it's all about. Great thing that 2006 Cadets is discussed almost as much as every other "top 12" show combined on these boards.

The operative questions, I think, are:

Is a drum corps show supposed to be 100% understandable during the 11 minutes you're watching it?

Or should it be complex, enough so that 11 years from now, you'll still notice new details?

And is everyone who likes something in a Cadets show a Borg?

If so, mea maxima culpa.

And please forgive DCP George (Hopkins) too.

And let me say that I'll love whichever corps this year has a show that makes me both think and feel the most, the show with the most new ideas, and with the best execution. If that show is the Bluecoats, let me just now say BLOOOOOOO! or Go Vanguard! That might make me a bandwagon fan, but I'm in it for the marching art.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this adds a new dimension for those in the Evansville Lounge Thread that were claiming zig zig ZAG and George Hopkins were one in the same! :P

in b4 the close.

Hope that you enjoyed your time here...

:feednotroll:

Why do people assume this is going to be closed? He didn't appear to break any of the community guidelines.

Disclaimer: I don't agree with everything he said, but he is entitled to state his opinion

Edited by dbc03

defenders of a phantom status quo.

:)