• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Glassmen borg.

::shrugs::

somewhere, everyone always roots for their favorite corps. For some people that's The Cadets... for others it could be Pioneer.

no biggie.

~>conner

Hopkins seems to be self centered with little (or misguided) thought for the kids or the Drum Corps community in general.

We've all been so assimilated, that even DCP guru and founder George has become a Borg, claiming a couple weeks back that this year's Cadets show was "the best June show he's seen in 30 years"? (Perhaps DCP George and Hopkins George are the same person. Or clones. Or both Halliburton employees and in close with master puppeteer #### Cheney.)

My take on things: all through the history of music (think of the riot and fisticuffs at the premier of "Rite of Spring"), art and film (think of almost every major new art show, from the first show of so-called "degenerate art", later known as "Impressionism", to Robert Mapplethorpe to Matthew Barney to fill-in-the-blank), and dance (I've read excerpts of reviews of masters from Nijinsky to Martha Graham to Bill T. Jones who were criticized for degrading dance and ballet, and even for not being "dance" or "ballet" at all), the so-called influential critics have many, if not most of the time, been defenders of a phantom status quo. In hindsight, they look like idiots. And parasites. And irrelevant. Because they largely are.

zig zig Zag,

Not a bad post, and I think you make some strong points. I especially like the point quoted above. Music and art have always been subject to personal taste, and those who innovate or simply push the artform, whatever that is, tend to be criticized.

But honestly, this is typical, and regardless of what history teaches us there is no remedy for instant acknowledgement of, or acceptance for, the new art.

I'm a Cadets fan and have been since 1982. I don't have to apologize to anyone. They are great. 9 titles, many championships, many amazing shows (some of the best in this activity ever). Are they controversial? Yes. Is it only due to their outspoken director? No. There are other reasons. Some people just don't like the Cadets, as you have stated. Either they lost to them all the time, or most of the time, or they didn't care for the show style, or perhaps the "Boston Celtics Syndrome" has hit them, and it's really just about anyone BUT Cadets. BD experiences this as well, and have since the early 80s.

Your post is fine and presents some good facts, but I think all Cadets fans need to back off and stop trying to fight with those who don't like the corps. What's the point? You are not going to change their mind, and they have a right to their opinion. I just enjoy reading reviews from those who do like the corps, or this year's show, as much as I enjoy reading those that hate the corps or this year's show. I will see the show tomorrow, and I may not like it. Doesn't mean I hate the corps, but I may hate the current product.

Cadets fans need to just sit back and enjoy the season, and I think you will find a lot of enjoyment as the Cadets fix this show and push for top 3 once again.

Gotta tell ya though, the Bluecoats will be hot on their heels, hopefully all the way to 3rd place (well, at least we can hope). :)

Go Blooooooo!

Go Cadets!

Good misdirection. <**>

Misdirection is the word I would use B) .

My take on things: all through the history of music (think of the riot and fisticuffs at the premier of "Rite of Spring"), art and film (think of almost every major new art show, from the first show of so-called "degenerate art", later known as "Impressionism", to Robert Mapplethorpe to Matthew Barney to fill-in-the-blank), and dance (I've read excerpts of reviews of masters from Nijinsky to Martha Graham to Bill T. Jones who were criticized for degrading dance and ballet, and even for not being "dance" or "ballet" at all), the so-called influential critics have many, if not most of the time, been defenders of a phantom status quo. In hindsight, they look like idiots. And parasites. And irrelevant. Because they largely are.

Therein lies the problem. Some artistic ideas eventually emerge from initial criticism. Then there's "Love Boat". Which are we dealing with here?

Just an observation - often, when someone says they like the Cadets, they either:

1. Have to apologize first, or duck

2. Are sooner or later called a "Cadets Borg"

Does any other drum corps face this kind of venom or criticism? If not, why?

I have the answer.

(the rest snipped to save space)

Do you consider the 2005 Blue Devils to be art? Just curious.

Please stop trying to talk down to us.

Your show is no more "art" than Phantom, or Pioneer or any other drum corps. No amount of comparisons to "#### Christ", Christo, or anything else will change the fact that it's high school and college students out on a field....just like everyone else.

Elitism sucks, especially in an activity with this small of a fan base to begin with.

Overall trending shows that this shows borrows heavily from the BOA and WGI concept shows out there...not to mention that the "originality" is in borrowing heavily from "Alice in Wonderland".

Tell you what...let's have a drum corps that writes a completely original book for brass and percussion and has a totally original concept first and laud them as pioneers of art.

Wait, that already happened with Suncoast Sound.

Where's their hosannas?

We'll be waiting.

The operative questions, I think, are:

Is a drum corps show supposed to be 100% understandable during the 11 minutes you're watching it?

Or should it be complex, enough so that 11 years from now, you'll still notice new details?

And is everyone who likes something in a Cadets show a Borg?

Is a drum corps show supposed to be 100% understandable during the 11 minutes you're watching it?

Yes.

I’m going to see a show once. I want entertainment equal to the value of my ticket price. It’s a lot easier to feel entertained if I “understand” the show. But what’s really to understand? It’s music. Can’t I try to enjoy it just for that? If I need a libretto; if I need a four page treatise on the designers’ intentions; if I need to read the director’s blog to “understand” the show, it’s too much intellectual effort. I’ll go watch a baseball game.

Or should it be complex, enough so that 11 years from now, you'll still notice new details?

If you’re rerunning shows eleven years from now to further examine the thematic intricacies and details of the presentation, you need to get a life. It’s music. It lasts eleven minutes. It’s not Schindler's List.

And is everyone who likes something in a Cadets show a Borg?

Correct!

Especially George Dixon. Well, actually, he’s a … uhhh … well something that doesn’t look like a Borg by his avatar. So if he isn’t a Borg, then not all who like the Cadets are Borgs. And anyway, your question stated “everyone who likes something …”, so, since I like some elements of a typical Cadets show (if I like nothing else, I can appreciate the performance excellence), then I am either a Borg or the answer to you question is No. And, since I’m not a Borg, then the answer to your question is No.

But MikeD is a Borg.