No Cadets APD

I don't understand this "I want to be entertained by this but they aren't doing it... so they have to change it to what I'm entertained by.." mentality. I just don't.

Stef

Ever been addicted to something? A favorite TV show? A brand of snack?

All of us have. :)

Remember when it changed, and they added that extra character, or changed the recipe?

It's the same thing.

You know as well as anyone else here when you "buy in" to drum corps as an activity, you bring all your preferences and biases to the table as well. Some of us were weaned on Scott Stewart Madison Scouts, others on Saucedo/Gaines Cavaliers....and those biases are going to come out from time to time.

We all want to get that first buzz from the first show we ever saw again...that sense of "Wow.". Some can find it each year in a drill move/chart/corps, but others don't get that sugar rush anymore.

Addictions are hard to give up....no one deserves a free pass for trolling of course, but you can't neccessarily deride people for wanting to feel what brought them into the activity in the first place again, and feeling frustrated when they can't.

The unspoken things is...people do feel like they're owed "something" when they take in a show in some regards.

Is that the right attitude?

No, of course it isn't.

But, as a paying customer...as a FMM, as a spectator...as an art critic....as a fan...people pay their money, buy into a program, and hope for the best. If you don't feel like you get something in return for what you "put in"...whether it be money, entertainment, happy kids or what have you...I suppose it is time to re-evaluate your drum corps passion.

...that, though....is a hard, hard thing to do, and ain't gonna be pretty as you try to move from subjectivity to objectivity. It's a hard road to travel, and passions run high.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope the other corps get wind of this down to every bit of detail and start to reconsider this whole issue

###### you beat me to it!

Amplified Voice = New Coke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

New Coke was the unofficial name of the sweeter drink introduced in 1985 by The Coca-Cola Company to replace its flagship soda, Coca-Cola or Coke. Properly speaking, it had no separate name of its own, but was simply the new version of Coke, until 1992 when it was renamed Coke II.

Public reaction to the change was devastating, and the new cola quickly entered the pantheon of major marketing flops. However, the subsequent reintroduction of Coke's original formula led to a significant gain in sales, which conspiracy theorists believe was the original purpose all along

(adjusts tin foil hat)

Does this mean that this is just a ploy to get more people to watch drum corps just to change it back after this year? :P ^0^

Amplified Voice = New Coke

Oh c'mon.... amps are only there so the mallet players can play with proper technique.

Something I remembered from what..... 3 years ago. :blink:

While I think Hoppy would be capable of a conspiracy as has been discussed...I don't think that's what's happened

I'd speculate on "wounded pride"

It's not hop's fault. He's trying what hasn't been tried before, and going out on a limb. It worked last year, right? I bet he doesn't even know why they're winning.

It's not Acheson's fault; he didn't vote amps in or out.

It's not the judges' fault. The amount of direction they have on the sheets regarding amps is nil. Why be "that guy"? They don't have a solid system in place that appropriately punishes a show that bursts at the seams.

Who's fault is it? I don't know. But for anyone that gets up in Hop's grill, please don't forget that AFAIK, The Cadets have NOT broken any rules.

In my opinion, this is an exascerbation of a bigger systemic problem. Judges have not been held closely accountable for judging what they see *that* night. They give the benefit of the doubt. They implicitly assume it's an isolated problem, so problems are docked minimally.

I am not suggesting ANY kind of improper activity. I am suggesting that the incentive nor the "law" has been anything but adhered to. And not that it's the same, but figure skating had much more serious, malicious, dubious wink-wink agreements. They moved to a very structured system this winter. I have to say that first, figure skating judges were cheating. Second, their system (which was more interesting to me than was the skating) isn't any kind of model for drum corps. Third, their system rewarded safety too strongly this year, and needs to be tweaked. But it did restore confidence.

While I wouldn't advocate for a tick system, the advantage it has is that a judge need to simply point to what an error was "worth". What is needed is something where judges can indeed have the tools to make a call, reward a corps on a given night, and move on to the next.

Hopefully we see something like this at the beginning of the off-season.

Edited by drumcat

It's not hop's fault. He's trying what hasn't been tried before, and going out on a limb. It worked last year, right? I bet he doesn't even know why they're winning.

It's not Acheson's fault; he didn't vote amps in or out.

It's not the judges' fault. The amount of direction they have on the sheets regarding amps is nil. Why be "that guy"? They don't have a solid system in place that appropriately punishes a show that bursts at the seams.

Who's fault is it? I don't know. But for anyone that gets up in Hop's grill, please don't forget that AFAIK, The Cadets have NOT broken any rules.

In my opinion, this is an exascerbation of a bigger systemic problem. Judges have not been held closely accountable for judging what they see *that* night. They give the benefit of the doubt. They implicitly assume it's an isolated problem, so problems are docked minimally.

I am not suggesting ANY kind of improper activity. I am suggesting that the incentive nor the "law" has been anything but adhered to. And not that it's the same, but figure skating had much more serious, malicious, dubious wink-wink agreements. They moved to a very structured system this winter. I have to say that first, figure skating judges were cheating. Second, their system (which was more interesting to me than was the skating) isn't any kind of model for drum corps. Third, their system rewarded safety too strongly this year, and needs to be tweaked. But it did restore confidence.

While I wouldn't advocate for a tick system, the advantage it has is that a judge need to simply point to what an error was "worth". What is needed is something where judges can indeed have the tools to make a call, reward a corps on a given night, and move on to the next.

Hopefully we see something like this at the beginning of the off-season.

I can agree with that