No Cadets APD

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikk, did you ever see Union in 2000? Finals night they also had all of their electronics fail, rumor is their mouse wire was cut. It was a completely different show when you took the electronics out, still entertaining, but absolutely different. I still feel cheated that the only quality audio of that show happened to be the performance that malfunctioned, and left us with a lesser product.

I was on the field performing with Union that fateful night. If I recall correctly, we were 6th or 7th place going into Finals, and dropped on 10th because of "on the field performance" issues.

The Cadets shouldn't be getting any special treatment, there that been plenty of other corps that have had "performance issues" and still released the recording. I think it's time something is done to the judging system so that scores properly reflect malfunctioning amps, electronics, etc.

Matt, I missed the orignal report on this. Was there a malfunction of an amp or was GH unhappy enough with the results that he didn't want the APD to go out. Or unclear enough there is major guesswork on the reason?

I proceeded on the assumption that it was amp related. All the reviews I read on the show mentioned major issues over the course of the show, while complimenting the rest of the corps.

*edit* Reading that entry, it sounds like I might be very, very wrong. If so, I fully retract my previous statements.

*2nd edit* Never mind. The entry refers to the Huntington performance, while the APD is from Columbia. It seems amps are still the issue.

Edited by Maedhros

Heh, I'm totally confused at this point as this talks about a communications issue on a change in counting during a drum break. Amps don't appear to be involved here/

Heh again as I'm against amps, not a big fan of current DCI Div I but still following this as it is just toooooo interesting. :lol:

Edit: Heh (third time) as Matt posted as I was typing. Can anyone tell me how well the corps on the field can hear amped vocals? Sat on the 10 yard line at Gettysburg which was well outside of where the amps were facing. In a quiet section of bleachers OI could hardly hear the vocals. And behind the amps on a noisy field in the middle of the corps :lol:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Heh, I'm totally confused at this point as this talks about a communications issue on a change in counting during a drum break. Amps don't appear to be involved here/

Heh again as I'm against amps, not a big fan of current DCI Div I but still following this as it is just toooooo interesting. :lol:

Actually, I think that these are different issues. The linked thread is talking about the Huntington show, while the APDs were recorded in Columbia.

Actually, I think that these are different issues. The linked thread is talking about the Huntington show, while the APDs were recorded in Columbia.

OK, makes more sense.

Anyone want a recording of my old corps screwing up royally during a show? Horn line got out of sync the night the "Bugle Opus 1" albums were recorded. :lol: Legend has it Larry Hershman (our BusMang) offered big bucks for "studio magic" to hide it. (It's there if you know what to listen for.) Hated it then, laugh about it now.

The big question is... If an "on the field performance issue" occurs during Finals, could the Cadets still win?

There would be rioting if a corps' amping was seriously off but they still won. Forget having a misannouncement of a caption score (2005, Phantom/Cavies announced as tied for brass and Cadets really winning it, IIRC), forget having a tie (96, 99, 00), forget having the biggest upset you can imagine (88). None of those surprises/controversies could match something like that happening. If there was a serious amp issue with a corps and that corps still won, I think the amp-related **** would hit the fan in a way we have yet to see.

And you know what? Based off of the band performances people have cited in the thread, I think it's only a matter of time before this happens, and with corps like The Cadets, BD, etc. using amps, and being constantly in the running for a medal, it will happen sooner rather than later. And when it does, the judges will have to knock the corps down, because the alternative, I think, would be ugly.

DISCLAIMER: take this post with a whole shaker full of salt. I feel this could happen to any corps that uses amps, not just The Cadets. I don't want to ever see it happen to any corps. But finals is both just another show, and the one that immortalizes any wrenches caught in the system.

Edited by Gentleman Marcher

Interesting developments. None of that really sounds right..they should offer the APD no matter how it sounds. It sounds like some kind of special treatment to me.. :lol:

I have a solution..get rid of the amps...that will solve the problem. :lol:

If you haven't checked the thread with the review, they had a ton of amp problems that night.

Mike

Yet, they won even though the judges' guidelines say those issues should be scored.

This is a bigger hit to the credibility of the activity than any stunt pulled by Tony Schlechta, Don Pesceone, Don Angelica, or Mickey Petrone. Dan-O should be out.