No Cadets APD

Yet, they won even though the judges' guidelines say those issues should be scored.

This is a bigger hit to the credibility of the activity than any stunt pulled by Tony Schlechta, Don Pesceone, Don Angelica, or Mickey Petrone. Dan-O should be out.

Ouch! :P

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think that these are different issues. The linked thread is talking about the Huntington show, while the APDs were recorded in Columbia.

o ok...

thanks.

OK, makes more sense.

Anyone want a recording of my old corps screwing up royally during a show? Horn line got out of sync the night the "Bugle Opus 1" albums were recorded. :lol: Legend has it Larry Hershman (our BusMang) offered big bucks for "studio magic" to hide it. (It's there if you know what to listen for.) Hated it then, laugh about it now.

Speaking of Larry, are pigeons performance issues? 100 inquiring minds on Long Island still want to know. :P

You know.. not for nothing, but I can (almost) understand not releasing the APD. I would assume that the corps directors had to buy in to multiple shows being released throughout the year, and I am sure that there were some that were not comfortable about it. It does, after all, mean that a performance outside of finals week enters the canon of the activity for all time. Taking that into account, and realizing that a show was seriously flawed, I can see how a director may opt to not release that to the public.

HAVING SAID THAT... I still think that it stinks. I don't see it as a ploy, or a conspiracy, or anything else. I do see it as a bad decision, from a PR standpoint, to not release. Especially given the fact that by not explaining just what the "on-field performance issues" were, it leaves the door open to (by all means not unfounded) speculation. Each show is in some ways "property" of the corps, and I guess that it would be their right not to release it. The Cadets being the first to exercise this right just adds some gas to the fire. It's kind of like taking your ball and going home because things didn't work out just right. And it speaks to many of the other things that have been discussed on these boards, such as incomplete shows, etc. I wonder if the Cadets feel that the fans that attended this event are due an apology for having a "bad show".

Finally, if the problem is what the majority of us think it is, shouldn't they have called it a "just-off-the-field performance issue"? :)

Discuss.

I'd like to point something out to those who are under the impression that malfunctioning amplification has no impact on score.

Am I correct in recalling that amps are judged in the GE Music caption?

If I am, then can someone please explain why, if the show was so disrupted by malfunctioning amps which are "getting a free pass" according to some, did the scores go down in Huntington?

General Effect

Music

Rep -- Show -- Total

8.3 -- 8.1 -- 16.4 -- these were the scores for GE Music in Evansville, IN on 6/27

8.2 -- 7.6 -- 15.8 -- these were the scores for GE Music in Huntington, WV on 6/28.

That's quite a drop!

It must have been something else, though. I'm sure the amps were given a free pass last night.

Stef

I'd like to point something out to those who are under the impression that malfunctioning amplification has no impact on score.

If I am, then can someone please explain why, if the show was so disrupted by malfunctioning amps which are "getting a free pass" according to some, did the scores go down in Huntington?

General Effect

Music

Rep -- Show -- Total

8.3 -- 8.1 -- 16.4 -- these were the scores for GE Music in Evansville, IN on 6/27

8.2 -- 7.6 -- 15.8 -- these were the scores for GE Music in Huntington, WV on 6/28.

That's quite a drop!

It must have been something else, though. I'm sure the amps were given a free pass last night.

Stef

Actually, according to what Hop wrote about the timing gaffe in WV, (not really amp related)....it could be that they are, and the deduction was taken for that 100 counts of chaos that ensued.

Dunno.

Edited by bawker

Yet, they won even though the judges' guidelines say those issues should be scored.

This is a bigger hit to the credibility of the activity than any stunt pulled by Tony Schlechta, Don Pesceone, Don Angelica, or Mickey Petrone. Dan-O should be out.

That's like saying Stern should resign because NBA refs did a poor job. Are you sure you think that?

I don't know. Did something happen to the amps in Huntington?

General Effect

Music

Rep -- Show -- Total

That's quite a drop!

Stef

Steph,

First of all, the amp issue was in Columbis, SC on 6/24. And I think trends over a few days will help illustrate why this has many of us up in arms. One would expect scores to move a few tenths day to day from factors such as corps improving, different judges, quality of hte performance, etc. If major issues occured during well over 1/3 of a performance, you would expect a significant drop in score. Now let's take a look at the GE music scores for the past several days:

................GE Music

...........Rep.......Show

6/22.....7.7........7.5

6/23.....7.8........7.3

6/24.....7.9........7.1 (this is the show with over 1/3 disrupted by serious amp issues)

6/25 rained out

6/26 rained out

6/27.....8.3........8.1

6/28.....8.2........7.6 (this is the show where the percussion had issues for 100 counts)

If anything, the 6/27 scores look a bit high compared to the progression seen in the other captions. Additionally, the spreads in these captions relative to their competitors changed little if any (i.e., PR and Cadets have been within a tenth of each other in Showmanship most every time they went head to head - Cadets topping PR a few and vice versa).

You'd think with the big problems they've had at a couple of shows that the spreads would blow out a bit or we'd see a noticable drop in the caption. We don't. I know that is what I personally find distrubing about this, and what appear to be the "free pass" that's being discussed here - particularly the amp problems on 6/24.