Hope you've got your tickets

I actually haven't decided on going to this show or not - Rockford is only about 40 miles, but the Boylan experience has been a downer over the years for me. I've never seen such poor traffic flow in any stadium. And, as I don't have tickets yet, sounds like one I might better skip this year. Hate to miss it, though - great lineup. Best wishes to Phantom.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess maybe I'm bitter about a lot of things in Rockford. I dearly love this city and it is a great place to live and raise children but the minute that Sundstrand packs up and moves this city will die. Anyone feel any differently?

Sundstrand losing its local base a few years back was definitely significant. And too bad.

Chrysler, however, just a few miles down the road has made its intentions known loud and clear with a $419 million upgrade to the facilities and 24-hour staffing to make two new cars. If Chrysler ever packed up, the area would be in big trouble.

I think losing Rockford College would be a big blow. Even though it's not a big school and many in town barely acknowledge its existence, I think it would be embarrassing for a town the size of Rockford to not have a residential 4-year college. I really hope the new prez can keep up the good things that Paul Pribbenow started and find a way to build an endowment that can allow the school to operate in the black.

G

Though they wouldn't want the pity, I always felt bad about Rockford being this hard-working Midwestern town and having fallen on hard times. I don't remember anything but positive response from the community when I was in PR and PRC. One time PRC volunteered for some community event (I think it was a pancake breakfast) and when people would see us, and ask who we were, there was immediate recognition of what the corps was, and compliments all around. I don't see how it could be any different now, with Pat S. out there in the community like he has been.

The community seems to do what it can for the corps, despite the hard times, and to me, that's probably more important and representative of the kind of people that live there. They're genuinely good people, generally speaking. And Regiment gives back by sharing instruments and music in the schools and such, with the Rockford Symphony. I think they're still doing that. At the least, Regiment being Rockford's roving musical ambassadors (aside from Cheap Trick), there's some pride in that among people who live there.

I may be going out on a limb here, but Rockford isn't bad. Byer Stadium, on the other hand...not so much. Yech. Is that place still there?

Oh, back on topic, I can't think of any place I'd rather see a drum corps show. If you're on the fence about the show, you should go! Get there early and watch the corps practice, and then you don't have to worry about parking. :)

Beyer Stadium, which is where the Rockford Peaches (A League of Their Own) played, is no longer there. The stands were razed and the field was turned into a park. There is an effort to rebuild some of the place in honor of the Peaches. The only thing that remains is the old ticket window.

Yeah, it was a dump when you and I rehearsed there, Chris. Builds character as they say! The field simply was dirt during the blazing hot, waterless summer of 1988. The lack of restrooms was a nice touch, too.

:)

G

Beyer Stadium, which is where the Rockford Peaches (A League of Their Own) played, is no longer there. The stands were razed and the field was turned into a park.

Hooray!

The first time I saw that place, I was like "Phantom Regiment practices here? Is this some kind of joke?"

You know you're in trouble when you've got mud coming out your spit valve, from all the loose dirt in the air.

That place was scary.

:sshh:

You can't expect the entire community to know who or what Phantom Regiment is. Look outside the bubble; if you were a random person who had not been involved in music at any time in your life sans grade school when it was mandatory, would you really go out of your way to know exactly what small branch of the musical world was residing around you? Realistically, no. But Mr. Siedling always seems VERY appreciative of the area. So I'm guessing the town is as involved as anyone could realistically hope for!

I'll be trying to get some food at the places that sponsor Regiment as well! Here's to a great show!

Beyer Stadium, which is where the Rockford Peaches (A League of Their Own) played, is no longer there. The stands were razed and the field was turned into a park. There is an effort to rebuild some of the place in honor of the Peaches. The only thing that remains is the old ticket window.

Yeah, it was a dump when you and I rehearsed there, Chris. Builds character as they say! The field simply was dirt during the blazing hot, waterless summer of 1988. The lack of restrooms was a nice touch, too.

:)

G

Ahhh dear old Beyer. Explains why our ability to dress forms was so good. we never had any yard lines to guide off of LOL But that dirt patch held alot of memories.

Second issue: Can I order a SoS ticket online and pick it up at the show? any sort of will call thing going on?

I guess I'm an exception then, driving all the way up from TAMPA! Helluva drive, but sharing it with a couple other alumni so it should be fun. Got my tickets a month or two ago, really excited as it is my first pilgrimage back (will finally be able to experience the beer tent!!). Besides that I've talked to other friends that I marched with that are coming from all over.. with it being the 50th anniversary I think the alumni crowd will be considerably larger than a normal year. Can't wait!

I thought I was coming the farthest, flying in from Philly. A friend who lived in Illinois tells me I haven't experienced drum corps until I attend a Midwest show...

I thought I was coming the farthest, flying in from Philly. A friend who lived in Illinois tells me I haven't experienced drum corps until I attend a Midwest show...

I know of someone flying in from Delaware as well as numerous alumni from Texas as well. Show of Shows is a great experience.

Midwestern drum corps shows are certainly different than any other region. While the days of DCM are largely over, the midwest shows are still unique in a kind of romantic Americana way. The region is largely the cradle of the activity with the roots in small midwestern town American Legion/VFW posts.

Its funny to think of it now though as when I marched myself along with many loathed the midwest tour for it's tiring sticky thick grass show fields, often less than stellar housing sites (with practice fields surrounded by corn fields), and in some places absolute po dunk small town crowds. Looking back though, the unique and often quirky aspects of the midwest tour (Petunia Festival anyone?) really provided a great part of my drum corps experience.

I've lived in Rockford all my life

You lucky dog.

:laugh: