Hope you've got your tickets

When I used to live near Rockford, there were some who I worked with who I would have thought had no clue and were well aware of Phantom Regiment and drum corps in general. Now if they contributed financially...who knows. The Show of Shows always ran commercials on the local channels which was cool to see.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be the best lineup ever for Show of Shows. Frankly, I expected the tickets to be sold out by now. There's always a long line for tickets on the day of the show and I have to believe that will be the case again this year - but this time, everyone in line may not get a ticket. So order your tickets now! Don't wait until you get there!

As for the community - I grew up in Rockford and my immediate family is still there. I believe that most people in the area know the corps and support them in spirit. However, Rockford still has largely a manufacturing-based economy and therefore the highest unemployment rate in the state (as well as one of the highest in the country). That doesn't bode well for the availability of corporate or individual dollars for philanthropic activities. Its quite different than organizations based in CA, Chicago or the East Coast.

There will be nearly 4,000 people -- hopefully more than 4,000 -- at Show of Shows. Most of them come from Rockford and the immediate area.

I guess I'm an exception then, driving all the way up from TAMPA! Helluva drive, but sharing it with a couple other alumni so it should be fun. Got my tickets a month or two ago, really excited as it is my first pilgrimage back (will finally be able to experience the beer tent!!). Besides that I've talked to other friends that I marched with that are coming from all over.. with it being the 50th anniversary I think the alumni crowd will be considerably larger than a normal year. Can't wait!

No way! Go anywhere in Rockford and ask someone what the Phantom Regiment is and you'll get blank stares. This is a rough generalization but you can get my drift.

When I marched, I received a free haircut during spring training from a hairdresser who loved us.

When I marched, I received a free haircut during spring training from a hairdresser who loved us.

Little did Geoff know that the hairdresser was a Madison fan. He's had to shave his head ever since.

^0^

That would be the "Alumni Hospitality Tent" for the politically correct!

:)

TimEuph - e-mail me - where do you live now? Aren't you originally from the Valrico area? I live a couple miles from there now.

Greg

I guess maybe I'm bitter about a lot of things in Rockford. I dearly love this city and it is a great place to live and raise children but the minute that Sundstrand packs up and moves this city will die. Anyone feel any differently?

I'd love to go, but I've got to decide if I want to keep driving past Chicago after attending Indy. Do I go see Phantom, or do I go home and catch the finale of Doctor Who?

This is where TiVo is my friend. :D