Beverly scores

Phantom has an incredibly talented drum line and brass section. The show, however, seems about 10 years out of date. Wish they had played it in 1997.

Exactly what I thought - there was something almost "sqaure" about Phantom's show that makes it feel dated. I think part of it is that the drill just seems like you've seen it all before. Musically it feels like there is too much transition music that just fills the gaps between the main songs. Other than color guard, this looks and sounds like a championship contender corps, they were simply given a show that doesn't have the guns, flow or impact to win nowadays.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Musically it feels like there is too much transition music that just fills the gaps between the main songs.

Better than some shows nowadays that literally seem like 11 and a half minutes of nothing BUT transition music with little to no coherent musical development.

Exactly what I thought - there was something almost "sqaure" about Phantom's show that makes it feel dated. I think part of it is that the drill just seems like you've seen it all before. Musically it feels like there is too much transition music that just fills the gaps between the main songs.

Uh...what? There're the introduction, the pit feature, right into Scythian Suite, right into Ave Maria, right into Piano Concerto, right into Mahler. How is that "too much transition music"?

Better than some shows nowadays that literally seem like 11 and a half minutes of nothing BUT transition music with little to no coherent musical development.

Can't really voice my opinion on that by naming names, so I'll just say...I think melody should come first in musical design, then everything else.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Exactly what I thought - there was something almost "sqaure" about Phantom's show that makes it feel dated. I think part of it is that the drill just seems like you've seen it all before. Musically it feels like there is too much transition music that just fills the gaps between the main songs. Other than color guard, this looks and sounds like a championship contender corps, they were simply given a show that doesn't have the guns, flow or impact to win nowadays.

Funny, a lot of people said the same thing at the Beanpot in '96 about Phantom. I though their show was "da bomb" at that show and was criticized by people around me in the stands for saying they were going to make a legitimate shot at the title. Hmmmmmm. :blink::laugh::huh:

Just got back from the Beverly show. Cadets were a big hit with the audience. Did not hear one comment about amps or characters in costume. Phantom and Crossment were big hits too. Boston got, what appeared to be, a luke warm response from the home crowd. (Massachusetts audiences are very equal opportunity audiences. They will clap for whomever they like that night, local favorite or not.) Southwind, Magic, ECJ and Surf also were popular. It was a great show with fine performances by all. Cadets show is an assault on the senses. The drum solo was very well received. Phantom has an incredibly talented drum line and brass section. The show, however, seems about 10 years out of date. Wish they had played it in 1997.

The Cadets may very well have been a " big hit " in your section of the stands at Beverly, but I would not characterize their performance as " a big hit " in my section on the 35 yard line. The Cadets were acknowledged to be clearly the best performing Corps and deserved winners, but when they finished their show there was tepid audience response to their show at best for them with the people around the 35 yard line. Some in my section waited as they were not entirely sure the Cadets show had finished. In my section, most people around me thought the Crossmen won over the audience with their show, not the Cadets. ( not me though, Crossmen's show while fun, had lots of execution issues ) My section did not react noticeably negatively with the amps nor the singing, nor the Cadets characters though, so my section seemed to agree with those from your vantage point. My section seemed to like Boston tonite. Their show ends on a quiet note so perhaps you perceived the quiet response to be less than solid approval. Were you low or up high ? We sat up high, ( stands not very high though ) and my section liked Boston's visual better than even Phantom Regiment's...... my wife never marched drum corps and speaks her mind...... she did not like Boston's show all that much last year..... thought it was too cookie cutter...... she liked Boston this year..... others in my section expressed the same sentiments regarding Boston..... People seemed to like Phantom's 2nd half of the show better than anybody's on the field tonite. I liked Phantom Regiment's show better last year, but noone in my section thought that they were looking at an outdated 10 year obsolete Phantom Regiment, so your section was not reflective of ours on that either. Everybody loved the Cadets drum solo sequence in my section, and the Cadets got a great crowd reaction for that ( probably the best single moment of the night ), so your section and our sections seem to be in agreement with that.

Edited by X DM

Uh...what? There're the introduction, the pit feature, right into Scythian Suite, right into Ave Maria, right into Piano Concerto, right into Mahler. How is that "too much transition music"?

Can't really voice my opinion on that by naming names, so I'll just say...I think melody should come first in musical design, then everything else.

:laugh:

It's awesome the corps are so competitive this year.....especially the top twelve.....

Heh, nice B)