I'm kinda bummed

I waited a long time for the Blue Knights to come out west so I could buy a Blue Knights patch for my jacket or even an alumni patch. I get to thier souvie booth and all they had were souvies geared towards flute, trumbones and saxophones. They had a shirt that said "you wouldn't understand it's a band thing". What's up with that? I don't play sax. If that organization has been around since the 70's that means there are 1000's of alumni that might want a patch or something. They had a million little rubber bracelets with flutes and such. Look at me getting all upset over all this band shwag. Trav

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I waited a long time for the Blue Knights to come out west so I could buy a Blue Knights patch for my jacket or even an alumni patch. I get to thier souvie booth and all they had were souvies geared towards flute, trumbones and saxophones. They had a shirt that said "you wouldn't understand it's a band thing". What's up with that? I don't play sax. If that organization has been around since the 70's that means there are 1000's of alumni that might want a patch or something. They had a million little rubber bracelets with flutes and such. Look at me getting all upset over all this band shwag. Trav

I guess they know that they get most of their money from high school bandos at their first show. It turns me off to see those kind of souvies as well. "Flutes Rock Your Face Off!"

Many of the corps simply can't sell enough of their own merchandise and usually stock generic band gear. Look at Colts, Crown and others. You'll see the same thing. BK has been doing the generic stuff a long time but usually there is some corps branded stuff in there too.

Many of the corps simply can't sell enough of their own merchandise and usually stock generic band gear. Look at Colts, Crown and others. You'll see the same thing. BK has been doing the generic stuff a long time but usually there is some corps branded stuff in there too.

Well that explains a lot Chris. Went to my first full Junior show in about ten years in 2003. I collect corps pins/buttons and hardly bought any that night. And pretty sure Crown had 100% generic "I play Trumpet", etc, etc in non-corps colors.

I know BK sells those neat wire-frame musicians, I have the trumpet one myself, and they're pretty generic. I know the word "band" is taboo around here, but personally it strikes me as a smart move. If they have a hard time moving their own stuff, it's a good idea to stock stuff that they know they can sell to one of DCI's largest demographics.

A note of explination:

BK farms their souvie operation out to Music-T's of Midlothain, TX (Paul Proctor's company) Crown did the same thing from 2001-2004, but took it back in-house last summer. Music t's sells the corps mercendise and their own, and have an agreement with the corps (BK) insofar as $$.

Keep in mind alot of the spectators at DC shows are band kids, and they have $$ to spend. It makes sense to serve thier needs.

The people who run the BK souvies also supply shirts and such during the school year to other groups such as All-State musical units. They were in Idaho for the All-State concerts in January. I guess drum corps souvies don't sell as well in the off season, and they have to make a living some how.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all get the "band kids have money" but what about drum corps fans who came to a drum corps show to see drum corps and then want to buy a t-shirt/pin/hat/something with their favorite/former drum corps logo or name on it?

I'm hardly one of those drum corps is dying kind of people but it is sad to see that something even the corps themselves lose sight of things.

Edited by Spirit Age-Out

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all get the "band kids have money" but what about drum corps fans who came to a drum corps show to see drum corps and then want to buy a t-shirt/pin/hat/something with their favorite/former drum corps logo or name on it?

I'm hardly one of those drum corps is dying kind of people but it is sad to see that something even the corps themselves lose sight of things.

Frank for Hoppy, I mean president!!!

I'm really Minimaster's mom, using his account and computer while mine is in the shop. He is on tour with the BK. I know I spent way to much money at their souvenir shop in San Antonio last year! Maybe they had temporarily run out when you saw them.

I just thought I would let you know that you can buy BK merchandise online at http://www.bknights.org. You do have to be using Internet Explorer for it to work.

Thanks for supporting the Blue Knights!

Diana