I'm kinda bummed

I waited a long time for the Blue Knights to come out west so I could buy a Blue Knights patch for my jacket or even an alumni patch. I get to thier souvie booth and all they had were souvies geared towards flute, trumbones and saxophones. They had a shirt that said "you wouldn't understand it's a band thing". What's up with that? I don't play sax. If that organization has been around since the 70's that means there are 1000's of alumni that might want a patch or something. They had a million little rubber bracelets with flutes and such. Look at me getting all upset over all this band shwag. Trav

While, I do play flute I completely understand. Try going to Phantom Regiment's souvie stand. I bought some patches last year like what you are looking for.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There wasn't any digging around, I asked the attendant if they had any BK patches or anything I can put on a jacket and he said no. I totally agree that these corps have to raise money, but the drum corps to band ratio stuff was way off. All I'm saying is if I wanted a BK patch, that was not the place to go, If I wanted a basoon shirt or wrisband or pin I was in luck. I'm not kidding, they must have had about 30 different wristbands and pins none of them drum corps related. Trav

The BK patches are probably not a very good money maker then.

The way I see it is that it doesn't make sense to me logically in the first place. If I've just gone to my first drum corps show as a band kid and I had a blast and I've decided I want to go to more shows and/or join a corps one day. I would buy a shirt that has the name or logo of the corps that I liked the most.

And that's the problem. You buy a shirt from the corps you liked the most. If Cavies, SCV, Cadets, BD or other "winners" are at the show along with lower placing corps, whose shirt do you think gets bought? If you aren't one of the "winners", you're likely to have to sell generic/band stuff to make a buck. It isn't like the money goes in one big pot the corps share. They are in competition with each other for that sale.

If I were a band kid and saw a shirt with a funny marching band saying or my (non drum corps) instrument on it, I just might buy that over SCV's shirt whom no one will understand when I wear it at band camp.

And that's the problem. You buy a shirt from the corps you liked the most. If Cavies, SCV, Cadets, BD or other "winners" are at the show along with lower placing corps, whose shirt do you think gets bought? If you aren't one of the "winners", you're likely to have to sell generic/band stuff to make a buck. It isn't like the money goes in one big pot the corps share. They are in competition with each other for that sale.

If I were a band kid and saw a shirt with a funny marching band saying or my (non drum corps) instrument on it, I just might buy that over SCV's shirt whom no one will understand when I wear it at band camp.

See, for me, I don't necessary buy the "winners" T-Shirts. I buy the shirts from the shows that appeal to me. Last year I bought from Phantom Regiment because I really enjoyed their show. There are corps who have won and I have yet bought a shirt from them. B)

See, for me, I don't necessary buy the "winners" T-Shirts. I buy the shirts from the shows that appeal to me. Last year I bought from Phantom Regiment because I really enjoyed their show. There are corps who have won and I have yet bought a shirt from them. B)

I wouldn't exactly put Phantom in the same category as the corps who need to sell generics. Phantom has a huge fan base. They placed third last year - ahead of BD - and were champions in 1996. They have been around forever and are consistently in the top placements. When was the last time you bought a corps shirt from Pioneer, Seattle Cascades, Esperanza or Capital Regiment?

More to the point of this thread, if BK and Cadets both stocked their souvie trucks with equal amounts and types of corps specific merchandise, which corps is going to sell more? Now if BK shifted their inventory to mix in "band gear", do you think they'd sell more or less than only selling corps specific merchandise?

Let's just say I'm more irritated with the people who come to a drum corps show to buy clarinet stuff than I am with corps who don't mind selling it to them.

Why? They paid for a ticket...are watching the show...and supporting a corps with souvie sales. Why would that bother you?

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Even corps that don't contract out their souvies still have to carry generic gear. You see this a lot at the II/III level. I know for myself that I'm not likely to buy and wear something that says "Blue Knights" while my son is marching with a competitor. But I will often buy a flute shirt for my daughter from Crown or generic percussion shirt for me to wear at band camp from Colts or a stuffed animal or keychain from BK for my other daughter. I think it is a smart move for these corps to carry this merchandise and I find a lot of it very nice.

The other thing to keep in mind is that early in the season many corps are still stocking up on corps merchandise. They might not have everything in yet.

I am positive that if you would have brought that to the attention of somebody working the booth, it would have been fixed. I know this because I do at least a week selling souveniers for the Bluecoats every year. (I was actually helping sell souvies at Lexington.) See everybody in Indy! Stop by and say hello and more importantly: BUY SOMETHING!

I guess things have changed, because that whole mystique of a corps T-shirt was very much admired back in my day.

I guess things have changed, because that whole mystique of a corps T-shirt was very much admired back in my day.

My non-corps friends...band and non-band...when I was in HS had NO idea why I did that summer marching "thing". No mystique there. The Garden State corps I marched with in 68/69 was a middle of the pack GSC class 'B' corps....hardly gong to impress anybody. Not one knew anything at all about the clas 'A' scene...so they thought we were nuts to drive all the way to Garfield to actually DO this marching thing. :)

The band I teach now...very few have any idea of what drum corps is...it is changing...last year we took a bus to DCI East..and the DM's attend a show at the Vivace/George Parks DM camp...and last year our guard captains went to a Music is Cool event and loved it...but it's still a rather unknown element...certainly no mystique.

You must teach in an area vastly different from where I live... around here, all band members in almost every state program... no, I'd venture to say in all band programs... know what drum corps is, have much respect for the activity, admire the hard work we do, acknowledge the level at which we perform (much higher than their own), and many have kids in the activity (myself included). Since so man know but so few participate (due to numerous reasons) those of us that do do this thing called drum corps carry a mystique around when we return to school with our jackets on and member items showing. Maybe it's just me...