Is touring really worth it.

Ok first I have to say that yes I did march in a corps. Crossmen 1984, The old days but not then olden days.

We went to Canada, 18 states and 33 cities. We got one free day and that was in Montreal (luv the girls there btw)

I don't know about now but do the kids get more then one day off or is it work, practice, travel, practice show and travel some more. I would have loved to have seen more of the country and be able to meet more people.

I understand we are in a competitive activity but were is the adventure of seing things around the country.

Just something that made me say "hhmmmmm"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok first I have to say that yes I did march in a corps. Crossmen 1984, The old days but not then olden days.

We went to Canada, 18 states and 33 cities. We got one free day and that was in Montreal (luv the girls there btw)

I don't know about now but do the kids get more then one day off or is it work, practice, travel, practice show and travel some more. I would have loved to have seen more of the country and be able to meet more people.

I understand we are in a competitive activity but were is the adventure of seing things around the country.

what do kids see on tour...?

the sun, and corn fields!

Yeah, I doubt many kids are upset about it...

Drum corps are not much in the travel bureau business...

That would be akin to the band world--getting kids into band by promising a trip to Disney! Weeee!

While you don't get to see the "tourist" attractions anywhere really, I loved the traveling part. I remember one night driving through downtown Cincinatti in the middle of the night, it was beautiful, I'll never forget it. In terms of free days, past 2 years in Bluecoats we've had free afternoon/evening at Navy Pier in Chicago, free day in the Dallas area.

But free time is definatly a double-edged sword, cause rehersal the day after is always the worst.

it's far too narrow-minded to look at it in just those terms. what will the kids see? who cares? will they have a lifetime of memories and friendships that last for decades? yes. that's the important part.

The guy who said corn fields was right, also soy! :P

when I was in corps, I guess we played at an amusement park, but we opted to leave right after and rehearse. We saw NYC and San Francisco from across the bay, we saw Las Vegas at night, we saw Mount Rushmore for about 30 minutes, we saw purple mountains and endless rolling hills with a view unbroken by electrical wires or overhead jets. We saw a lot of darkness too because we travelled at night, so if we were smart we saw the inside of our eyelids. What "free days" we had were spent in rehearsals all day and a few hours free in the evening.

Crossmen have free days in Chesapeake, Chicago and San Antonio I believe. My son likes to keep track of all the states he's been in for drum corps. Nice from a check list basis but really all you see are high schools in different parts of the country plus a few college and pro stadiums. There are also a few laundry days built into the schedule.

I remember being in San Francisco in 1998. Madison had a free day and I was walking around with my son sight seeing. It was cool seeing all the Madison jackets and talking with several of the kids. Can't recall ever running into a corps on a free day before or since.

The only free days I remember was 1. Laundry and 2. Western Union for more money ;)

Can't recall ever running into a corps on a free day before or since.

Speaking of "running into corps," odd thing. My brother and I are from Iowa and marched Colts, but it didn't turn out to be his "thing" and he aged himself out after one season. A couple years ago, he was in San Francisco doing what he calls his "tour of duty" for the ISP he works for. He stepped out for his "vitamin N break," and called me.

"Hey," he says, "There's a hornline walking by. What should I do?"

"Follow them and find out who they are!"

Follow them he did, and ended up watching an SCV '04 rehearsal.