Cadets 2006 Show – A Fresh Perspective

They had the juice, but no wisdom. They fell into the same novice traps that catch the ambitious but artistically shallow. They are band directors, not artists. Their aesthetic judgments are not more valid because they run an organization that wins points from other band directors who are not artists. Children crave shiny toys, tinkly noises, and being validated by scores. I'm not putting down competition, but don't equate winning with artistic depth.

Just so you know, Marc Sylvester, who designed both Cadets 05 and 06 IS a professional artist I believe, and wouldn't be able to keep a job as a band director for more than a day.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using voice to tell a stroy in a drum and bugle corps show is a cop-out and a true sign of a creatively defunct design staff, or one that is seriously misguided and in the wrong direction.

However, I ought to point out that (in my opinion) they are not using voice to "tell the story." Not in the way that BD did last year, or BAC the year before. They're using it more as an accent or complement to the music.