Cadets 2006 Show – A Fresh Perspective

Sure it's possible it was written by a fan. But there are a lot of the red flags that are indicators of deception

Why would you look for deception, and here on DCP? It was a review, and I don't think she would have written it if she didn't believe what she wrote. So it was an opinion. No deception. She was not trying to put a spell on all of us so we would like Cadets more...just giving a different perspective. But you couldn't believe her hype without thinking that some inner working was behind the scene, that is where I had the problem.

Please tell me Jonathan, why do I hate the Cadets? :blink: You seem to think I do and know why. Since I don't have that opinion, perhaps you could enlighten me on why I feel this way.

I never said you hate the Cadets, did I? Re-read my posts. I think the gist of my argument was that you unfairly smacked her post for being deceptive and for sending up red flags simply because it came across different than most other reviews of the Cadets show. Your claim was that this was somehow a coverup or lie, or perhaps that it was intended to present a false light on the truth. Any my questions is, why would the Cadets need to do that? Their show will speak for itself, and if you don't like it just say so. Heck, it doesn't bother me if you just say "I think their show sucks." Which I know you wouldn't do, just using that as an example. I have read many of your reviews and enjoyed them, and you are very smart and knowledgeable about this activity I am sure. I guess my problem is that many always seem to believe that there is some sort of "cover up" taking place when it comes to YEA and Cadets. Like they have something to hide, or that they need to brainwash people into liking what they do, and getting you do think the way they do.

As it turns out, this girl was never a member of the corps, and she writes very well.

Considering that Bluecoats and Cadets are two of my favorite corps, I guess I do tend to get upset about this kind of stuff, but I also get upset at some Cadets fans. I may not like this year's show as well. I really didn't care for last year except the first half, and even that was nothing I was that fond of.

It's really not about the corps as far as I am concerned, it is about believing and generalizing, sterotyping and conspiracy theories, false accusations based on little fact, and the slanting of reviews and facts in order to make things seem worse than they really are. Not saying you did these things. My only gripe with you was that you didn't seem to believe that this post had much credibility in it before you had all the facts.

Jonathan

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the attitude I'm referring to. I mean that too many people want those of us that don't like the decisions made over the past few years and the things being done with said decisions to just accept it and sit down and watch. I think that attitude sucks, to be honest.

if you couldnt tell by all the quotes of "suck it up", my response was a joke.

Yea, but your quote was shorter. :P

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha. Great review. Be sure to post again after your next viewing of the Cadets show.

WOW! Can’t believe this made it up to eleven pages. Don’t you people have anything better to do; like going out and celebrating our country’s birthday? Chill already!

Well, let me say that it was quicker to read through the eleven pages than I expected. There are so many of you who simply like to attack at every opportunity. I must say that it nearly brought me to tears when I read some of the accusations posted about me and insults hurled at me. I ended up scanning past many of the replies. And someone asked why I don’t post often!!! Gee, maybe if some of you were more welcoming and less abusive!!

So let me first clear up (and thank you JFitz19 for defending me) who I am, or should I say as much of who I am as I want to share with you. I am 49 years old, and as JFitz19 stated, I have no association with The Cadets other than being a long time fan - but then I am also a long time fan of Crown, Crossmen, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Spartans (Div II), and, at times, Phantom, Santa Clara, and many others. I am a very private person who really isn’t here to make friends but to have a (sometimes) intelligent space to visit and learn from other peoples’ opinions, hopefully expand my mind, periodically state my opinion, and go off and lead the rest of my life (it seems this space is too much of your life for a number of you – this isn’t life, get one).

About the conspiracy that I have just hovered out there for many years and have only posted for the last two, give a person a **** break. Let me tell you about my life. I lost my job thanks to the bumbling idiot in the White House and was unemployed for two years. I got to the point where I had to borrow money from my sister to pay my bills. When I started in my current job just over two years ago, I immediately purchased a computer and got into reading DCP.

Are any of you getting the picture yet as to why I don’t post often? Too many people around here go right to lies, conspiracies, insults and accusations rather than asking a person a simple question and then giving a day or two for a response before continuing with the incorrect assumptions. We really have to find a better way to play together – they can do it in childcare centers.

Next, onto my familiarity with The Cadets show. First, I bought access to their All Access site and have watched and re-watched rehearsal tape footage of many of the moves I describe. I also attended The Cadets’ ensemble rehearsal in Newburyport, MA before watching them that evening in Beverly. The stadium in Newburyport had two to three times as many rows as in Beverly, so (me sitting high and near the fifty) had an excellent view of their drill forms.

And, lastly, I anticipated this and it unfortunately happened, and that is the fact that so many people chose to respond to my post with their opinions on the conceptual design of the show and/or the inclusion of characters, use of vocals, use of amps, confusing storyline requiring a PHD, etc. But my entire point (and forgive me for not getting it across) was that I was simply making people aware of a few of the great visual and musical effects contained in this year’s show. They are there whether you like the use of the characters or not. They are there whether you feel they are in the same league as The Cavies or not. They are there whether you like the props, uniform backs, benches and table or not. These drill moves, musical moments, aspects of difficulty are present in what they are doing. Give them the credit they are due.

Peace, love and Marsha’s out.

Thank you for that wonderful post. Most of us here really appreciate the time you took to write about that show. Some love to jump to conclusions, like little kids, before they have all the facts. It's really too bad.

Jonathan

I think it was a good review by someone who obviously likes the Cadets. That being said, we also need to be free to like or dislike shows and not be labeled as having "blinders" on. I can recognize the quality and thought that goes into a show like the Cadets are putting on, but I still don't have to fall in love with it based on it's merit alone. I haven't seen the show so I can't speak for this year, but last year had some great moments in it...I just have to fast forward over the drum feature, because I can't stand the drumspeak ect. I have enough experience with drum corps to know a great show when I see one......I just know I don't care for every great show out there from a personal standpoint. So if the Cadets put on a production that I don't like, I don't feel guilty at all for feeling that way. The drum corps I marched with has put on some shows that I don't particularly like (last year comes to mind..) but I don't feel that my distaste comes from having the so-called blinders on, just from personal bias and musical tastes. There's no harm in that IMO.

:lol::lol:

Maya Angelou

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.

John Schaar

The future is not a result of choices among alternative paths offered by the present, but a place that is created--created first in the mind and will, created next in activity. The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination.

Robert Frost (1874-1963)

Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favour.

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. ~Harold Wilson

Without accepting the fact that everything changes, we cannot find perfect composure. But unfortunately, although it is true, it is difficult for us to accept it. Because we cannot accept the truth of transience, we suffer. ~Shunryu Suzuki\

Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed. ~Irene Peter

The wheel of change moves on, and those who were down go up and those who were up go down. ~Jawaharlal Nehru

hose who expect moments of change to be comfortable and free of conflict have not learned their history. ~Joan Wallach Scott

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. ~Woodrow Wilson

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot

change their minds cannot change anything. him to change clothes

to meet the German Ambassador: they want to see me, here I am.

If they want to see my clothes, open my closet and show them my suits.

--Albert Einstein

Resolve to be a master of change rather than a victim of change.

--Brian Tracy

well performed, yet confusing as #### is still well performed, but confusing as ####.

Jeff Ream 07/05/06

I find it hard to believe that someone can write 15+ paragraphs describing the show after one viewing...I don't care what perspective they're trying to convey

true, even my DCW reviews arent that wordy