Clip of the talking feature of the Cadets show

For all that I have been called a Cadet Borg....2005 was the first time since 97 that their show was on my own personal favorite list. I have liked other years since then (e.g. 2000), but not as my personal top-4 or 5 in any given year until last year.

No offense, Mike, but...

This doesn't pertain to either of the two points in the previous posts, being:

"When someone gets on here with post after post about hating the show, then that becomes bashing"

(which I don't believe to be true)

and

"What about someone that gets on here with post after post about how great a show is? What does that become then?"

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, Mike, but...

This doesn't pertain to either of the two points in the previous posts, being:

True...I read this from you..."That's not necessarily true...I said many times that I disliked the 1998 Phantom Regiment show"...and just made the comment I did, based on your own Regiment history.

Pretty much OT, wasn't it! :blink:

That's not necessarily true...I said many times that I disliked the 1998 Phantom Regiment show...back in the days of RAMD. I said it quite often...did that make me a basher of my own corps?

I don't think so. I just really disliked their production that year.

What about the opposite? What about someone that gets on here with post after post about how great a show is? What does that become then?

Did you HAVE to say it so many times? Why? That is my point. I can understand stating you hate a show once or maybe twice, but numerous times. Do you like to read your own writting or something? Not to be mean but come on. And yes you may not be bashing your own corps, but you were bashing that show if you stated it numerous times.

And the opposite is a problem too, I will not deny that. But does the opposite hurt the kids that worked hard on that show, no I don't think so, so most of the time it is overlooked. I am not saying that is right, but you usually do not tick a lot of people off if you state numerous times that you love something.

Edited by dcifan25

Did you HAVE to say it so many times? Why? That is my point. I can understand stating you hate a show once or maybe twice, but numerous times. Do you like to read your own writting or something? Not to be mean but come on. And yes you may not be bashing your own corps, but you were bashing that show if you stated it numerous times.

Well, when someone is trying to make excuses for a poorly designed show, or a poorly performed show, and they try to sugar coat things, these are the times that sometimes a dose of reality needs to be injected...and by that, I don't mean that MY opinion is reality, but rather that opposing viewpoints need to be sounded. Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of "yes men" all over the place, and self-congratulatory crapola.

And here we have you redefining the argument...now it's not about bashing corps, but bashing shows. Next it will be about bashing concepts. Then it will be bashing ________. Where does opinion end and bashing begins?

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you, and we'll have to leave it at that, because I don't think I was bashing a show simply by criticizing it, regardless of how often I did or did not do it. I don't think it's the quantity, but the content of the critique...if I were to be bashing them, I'd use harsh language and hatred...but I love my former corps, so it was not bashing, merely concern over their performance and design.

For example...if I were overly sensitive, I'd say you were bashing ME, because of your statement of me liking to read my own writing...but then again, you also assumed that I said I "hated" the show, when I never said any such thing...just because someone thinks that a show is not "up to snuff" does not mean one hates said show.

Look, everyone has a choice...they can either be a kool-aid drinker, or they can remain wide-eyed enough to critique the things they see...but it doesn't necessarily mean it is bashing. "I really think that Corps X's design is really poor this year" is different than "Corps X freaking sucks this year, man." One is critique, one is bashing. You are smart enough to know which one is which.

Judging by the reviews and comments I've seen on the Review forum and on the main forum, there are obviously plenty of people who aren't getting everything there is to get in this show.

I've never read Alice in Wonderland, nor have I read the book...does that make me dumb? I might not totally "get" whatever it is that Cadets are doing...and I don't think it WOULD be a huge problem.

Be careful when making blanket statements.

Since when does the standard have to be "getting everything there is to get in this show."

Part of its appeal to me is there is so much that's appealling. I'm not saying it's perfect; it's not. But with so much that's so good (how many other corps will play so well, march so well, spin so well and excite so much?), it does seem a little baffling that so many feel compelled to announce their displeasure with this one as opposed to all the others.

I saw Cadets, Phantom, Crown, Crusaders and others on Saturday. Personally, the corps that disappointed me most was Phantom. I don't think y'all have ever heard me disparage Phantom because they're probably my favorite corps. Yet their show this year, while it didn't have much wrong with it, didn't seem to have much right with it. And I've read and understood Faust. Go figure.

And for what it's worth, my seven-year-old daughter accompanied me to the show. She kept score for herself. Without interference from me, she gave all the corps scores in the 60s and 70s. She gave the Cadets 100.

I'm not saying she's the standard. I will point out, however, that at least one seven-year-old didn't get lost in the concept.

HH

ok i paraphrased. but thats along the lines of what he said, right here on DCP.

No. What you did was repeat what he came back to these boards to say he specifically didn't mean. Fiedler came to DCP to correct the misimpression that he believed that amps were required to win.

HH

And the opposite is a problem too, I will not deny that. But does the opposite hurt the kids that worked hard on that show, no I don't think so, so most of the time it is overlooked. I am not saying that is right, but you usually do not tick a lot of people off if you state numerous times that you love something.

Once again: this is a discussion forum. The purpose is for people to share their opinions. Within the rules, everyone has the right to express their opinion as many times as they want to. If you don't like it, don't read it, but you're starting to remind me of the kid that would stand by the drinking fountain and try to keep everyone from drinking more than three seconds.

Once again: this is a discussion forum. The purpose is for people to share their opinions. Within the rules, everyone has the right to express their opinion as many times as they want to. If you don't like it, don't read it, but you're starting to remind me of the kid that would stand by the drinking fountain and try to keep everyone from drinking more than three seconds.

Hang on a second Dave, my original post to all of this was to the person wondering why everyone was getting ticked off for posting his or her opinions. I do not have any problems with anyone posting opinions, what I have a problem with is people posting time and time again like they are the only ones correct and after anyone else post their opinions, these same people get on here and tell that person why they are wrong (NUMEROUS TIMES) and then wonder why some people are getting ticked off at them. That is all, case closed. I am really not listening to myself by posting this and to keep it going, just proves my point.

Hang on a second Dave, my original post to all of this was to the person wondering why everyone was getting ticked off for posting his or her opinions. I do not have any problems with anyone posting opinions, what I have a problem with is people posting time and time again like they are the only ones correct and after anyone else post their opinions, these same people get on here and tell that person why they are wrong (NUMEROUS TIMES) and then wonder why some people are getting ticked off at them. That is all, case closed. I am really not listening to myself by posting this and to keep it going, just proves my point.

I'm sorry you don't like how many times they post them. But, they have every right to; your complaining about it does nothing but drive the thread off-topic, as it seems to have been here.