Clip of the talking feature of the Cadets show

It seems to me that George and his crew don't know how to be innovative anymore, so they just throw the most random crap together and put a stamp that says "innovative" on it. In general, people don't like to admit that they don't get things, so they all decide that what the Cadets are doing on the field is amazing so that they don't feel stupid, when really the joke is on them because there is nothing to get in the first place.

But they perform it well...

Wow, you said what I think a lot of us think sometimes...

I run into this exact same problem in the movie business all the time. Take Robert Altman films, for example...All the critics and "film elite" as I call them LOVE Robert Altman and his "masterfully directed" films. I, however, happen to believe that he is one of the worst directors in Hollywood. I keep watching his films, hoping I will like them (I DO have an open mind, after all) but each time, I am disappointed and just BORED TO TEARS by his films. If you talk to any "film elite" about not liking Robert Altman's films, you are considered a "stupid movie goer who likes lots of explosions". Take "A prairie home companion", for example. This film was AWFUL, imo (of course), but critics HAILED it!! They said it was HILARIOUS!! Yes, hilarious....hilariously BAD, that is...I didn't laugh one single time during this film, or even CHUCKLE...I don't find making fun of "hometown folk" funny in the least, and Altman doesn't really do that, he kind of wavers between that and showing the inter-relationships of the characters. However, this is not a movie review, so I will move on to the point.

Unfortunately, George Hopkins is starting to look like Robert Altman to me. Now, I have only disliked 2 Cadets' shows (heck, one actually, since I haven't seen the whole show this year yet, so there's still hope). I'm NOT saying that Hopkins is one of the worst directors in DCI, just trying to draw a parallel between him and Altman as far as wanting to like his shows each year but being disappointed. I have a feeling that there are "drumcorps elite" out there who believe if you don't see anything "deep" in the Cadets' show last year and this year, that you are a "stupid drumcorps fan who likes LOUD NOISES!!!" (sorry, quote from "Anchorman" kind of slipped in there...) :)

To sum up, If you're a fan that loves the Cadets' "Zone" shows, then good for you. You have every right to enjoy what you do. And, if you are a fan that likes "LOUD NOISES!!", then good for you, and you have a right to your opinion as well. Let's all just try to keep this in perspective, though. THIS IS DRUMCORPS, NOT ART. IT IS AN ENTERTAINMENT ACTIVITY, AND A COMPETITION, NOTHING MORE. Peace. B)

Edited by Cardman

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that the main thing that people are upset about in Cadet's show is the voice. If that was gone, would this show be a big issue? Would you guys still be complaining about this show?......... Probably.

Probably NOT!! WHy? Because the music I have heard thus far is freakin' awesome, and the percussion section is rocking. It's just that dang talking. Does it really add to the show? At least from what I have heard, it takes AWAY from the qaulity of the show. It is cheesy, it's not needed, it takes AWAY from my listening enjoyment. Is talking in drum corps really innovation. I like amped PITS because of the fact that certain percussion voices are now more balanced with the rest of corps, but had I known that it would lead to freakin talking and lame narration in the name of innovation, I would have said "no way, keep the amps out."

Probably NOT!! WHy? Because the music I have heard thus far is freakin' awesome, and the percussion section is rocking. It's just that dang talking. Does it really add to the show? At least from what I have heard, it takes AWAY from the qaulity of the show. It is cheesy, it's not needed, it takes AWAY from my listening enjoyment. Is talking in drum corps really innovation. I like amped PITS because of the fact that certain percussion voices are now more balanced with the rest of corps, but had I known that it would lead to freakin talking and lame narration in the name of innovation, I would have said "no way, keep the amps out."

Exactly.

Yep! I suspect that all of the posters that have been labelled "Cadet Haters" here would still in all honesty pay tribute to the incredible talent in that corps. The problem is what the staff have chosen to do with that talent. In the clip I love the drumming, hate the talking. I really don't think it will be around for long. It will die out as a bad idea fad like disco.....

.................and then came rap.

rap = woodwinds....

Apologies to the rap fans - I don't get it.......

wow.. those horns sound GREAT!!

oh wait. they didnt play.

i sure hope all the BD haters who talked about how the hornline didnt play in 05 sure jumps all over the cadets this year.

yuck

Turns out hornlines often don't play during percussion features.