Clip of the talking feature of the Cadets show

Captain Picard can't dance???

Yet another reason why Kirk >>> Picard.

:P

:OT: - but....

Kirk fixed everything by punching it in the mouth or phasering it to death. Picard is a philosopher and a progressive traditionalist. Kirk would have marched Devils, Picard would be in SCV......

And I don't remember Kirk dancing, unless you consider the way he waved his arms around and made a sentence out of EVERY.....SINGLE.....WORD......OF....DIALOGUE. :P

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirk fixed everything by punching it in the mouth or phasering it to death.

And Geordi fixed everything by reconfiguring the warp coil modulater... in every episode. :P

Edited by Maedhros

And Geordi fixed everything by reconfiguring the warp coil modulater... in every episode. :P

Because the same #### rift in the space time continuum kept following them around every week. Man - you'd think they could fix those temporal anomalies with their eyes closed by now.....

lol...i love how a topic about the Cadets Vocals turned into an argument about opinions...pathetic.

As for my .02 ... as an employee of YEA! I've gotten to hear and see the Cadets entire show 6 times this year....I must admit that at first, I really didn't like the vocals in it, but after the first two shows...they grew on me and now I REALLY like the entire show! Apparently this week Hopkins is adding more guard/corps movement during the drumbreak, and changing the last 30 seconds of the show. So the show at indy will be new for all!

lol...i love how a topic about the Cadets Vocals turned into an argument about opinions...pathetic.

Please read that a little closer. I disagree with MikeD on just about everything but I don't think he should be bashed if he doesn't qualify everything with "IMHO". Not an arguement at all. I was trying to let my worthy opponent off the hook a bit.....

While I don't think the vocalist is necessary and feel she detracts from the overall show, the biggest problem I have is with the talking. I've never read Alice and Wonderland, I have no idea what the story is supposed to be about, so I have no idea what's going on here. How am I supposed to enjoy the show? The music should provide enjoyment enough, like it always does in every great drum corps show. I shouldn't have to read a book in order to enjoy a show. The idea is creative, yes, but it doesn't fit. It's not drum corps, in my opinion. To me, it's more of a play with a drumline.

More importantly, I don't understand what they're saying. Off with her head? I don't get it. Swallowed something two hours ago...riiiight... Alice is obviously not the biggest drum corps fan in the world with her, "Do they have to do that every time?" Basically a PERFORMER is mocking 72 years of tradition. It would be annoying if someone sitting next to me asked me that; now imagine it coming from the field, from a performer, 100 times louder. I just don't understand why this is necessary.

But what do I understand? I understand a great tenor lick, or an amazing snare feature, or a fat bass feature, or a powerful chord, or a I think that's what fans are looking for when they come to drum corps shows, but they're getting other elements that are just distracting.

If you come into this show thinking it'll be just like the Cadets shows of the '90s they are known for, you will hate it. If you come into this show thinking it'll be just like every other show on the field, you'll hate it. If you come into this show thinking it'll be just like every other drum corps show in history, you'll really hate it. You have to approach this show with no preconceived notions of drum corps, approach it like it isn't a drum corps show, and you might enjoy it. It's different, and it's new, but I'm not sure this departure from tradition is something I really want to see.

I know anaogies are not the most useful, but I'd like to see someone dispute that. Say you have a favorite flavor of chocolate ice cream that you enjoy so much that you consider it part of your identity. The enjoyment you get out of this ice cream is unlike any joy you get from anything else. The ice cream has remained relatively the same for over 40 years. Sure, a few ingredients were thrown in over the years to improve on some of the little things, but the ice cream always tasted the same and nothing was really drastically changed. Now say, without warning, the makers of the ice cream decide to add a very strong japaneño flavoring to the chocolate ice cream. It's ruined; it's not the ice cream you grew up loving, and you'll never be able to eat the old ice cream again. Some people may say, "Just ignore the jalapeño and enjoy the chocolate," but as you know, this is impossible. You applaud the ice cream company for trying something different, but ultimately, it was a change for the worse.

Rather have something unchanged and good than changed and bad. If something is exactly the same, unchanged, for hundreds of years, but it is the most amazing, quality product, how is there anything wrong with that? Sometimes "innovation" has everything to do with the past that it does with the future.

That said, Finals night I'll watch and enjoy the Cadets' show, not as a drum corps show, but as a "show" with drum corps elements. I see where George and the design staff are coming from with this, using the percussion feature as a tea party, but I don't want them to get the idea that this is satisfactory, cause it's not. I encourage them to find ways to still tell a story with characters like this but present in a less obtruse, more musical fashion.

What do I want for 2007? Amazing music for the opener, amazing music for the ballad, amazing music for the percussion feature, amazing music for the closer, and some amazing drill. Tie it all off with a theme and you've got an amazing show. That's it. No amped vocals, no singing, none of that. Just drum corps how it always has been and always will be. The Cadets have done this for approximately 90% of the their shows since 1983, and they can do it again next year.

Edited by Hrothgar15

What do I want for 2007? Amazing music for the opener, amazing music for the ballad, amazing music for the percussion feature, amazing music for the closer, and some amazing drill. Tie it all off with a theme and you've got an amazing show. The Cadets have done this for approximately 90% of the their shows since 1983, and they can do it again next year.

Why wait? They have all of that this year.

Why wait? They have all of that this year.

Err, perhaps I should have been more clear. I just edited it for clarity.

What do I want for 2007? Amazing music for the opener, amazing music for the ballad, amazing music for the percussion feature, amazing music for the closer, and some amazing drill. Tie it all off with a theme and you've got an amazing show. That's it. No amped vocals, no singing, none of that. Just drum corps how it always has been and always will be. The Cadets have done this for approximately 90% of the their shows since 1983, and they can do it again next year.

I want the Cadets....and ALL corps...to create the best shows they can for both the members and as many fans as possible...if they want to sing into a mic..fine...as long as it's good...if they want to mic the vibes...also fine.

I know anaogies are not the most useful, but I'd like to see someone dispute that. Say you have a favorite flavor of chocolate ice cream that you enjoy so much that you consider it part of your identity. The enjoyment you get out of this ice cream is unlike any joy you get from anything else. The ice cream has remained relatively the same for over 40 years. Sure, a few ingredients were thrown in over the years to improve on some of the little things, but the ice cream always tasted the same and nothing was really drastically changed. Now say, without warning, the makers of the ice cream decide to add a very strong japaneño flavoring to the chocolate ice cream. It's ruined; it's not the ice cream you grew up loving, and you'll never be able to eat the old ice cream again. Some people may say, "Just ignore the jalapeño and enjoy the chocolate," but as you know, this is impossible. You applaud the ice cream company for trying something different, but ultimately, it was a change for the worse.

You make a reasonable argument. But your argument can just as easily be argued another way.

There was a time in my life when I thought chocolate ice cream was a good as it could be. Then along came Haagen Daz and Ben & Jerry's with new recipes that included more cream and other good ingredients. The ice cream I thought was perfect could indeed be made better.

My point is - like yours - you don't know until you try it. We also know that unless you try new things, you can't find new things to like.

My initial reaction to my first and only viewing of the Cadets this year was their show is extremely busy. There is so much happening around the field it's unsettling knowing you're likely missing good stuff by watching/hearing any one thing at a time. And that's also good. There's so much good playing, marching, sticking and spinning, it's hard not to like this show. The words are no more or less a distraction than of the many other gimmicks we either ignore or embrace from any corps.

The Cadets use of voice this year and last has been hit and miss. Last year's drum speak was outstanding (and the crowds thought so too). Last's year's narration was well done, I thought, but unnecessary. This year's voices are harder to figure, at least so far. But why should that be an issue? Many musical phrases on the field from all the corps mystify me at times. Many guard and drill moves lose me completely. Pit effects often confound me. Does any one of those at any one moment ruin the show? Not necessarily, and not so with the 2006 Cadets.

HH