Going Crazy At A Show

So here's the situation: Phantom is playing their encore in Bristol, RI and I'm standing up against the fence about 10 feet away from their whole hornline. They're playing the closer from the 89 show (I don't know which movement of New World it is) and when the trumpets reenter with that main melody at there-aren't-enough-fortes-to-describe-how-loud-it-was I start going nuts... you know, arms above my head, screaming my lungs off type stuff... Then I turn around, notice that everyone else in the crowd is sitting there quietly, with maybe a couple of people doing a golf-clap type thing. This made me feel really embarassed about cheering loudly for the rest of the encore, so I restrained myself to a polite clap and maybe a brief yell. I kind of feel like I shouldn't have to restrain myself; I know that as a performer I would love to see somebody giving it up for something I do. If I see a random person in the crowd screaming their head off that would make me perform that much more. Are we too quiet as crowd members nowadays? I know a lot of old school people are going to come on here and rant about G-bugles and shows that don't entertain anymore, but my encore experience is a perfect example that it's not true. The hornline was sitting there blowing their brains out playing music that was arranged in 1989 style, and still no one was going crazy... What's going on with crowds at DCI shows?

Edited by TSRTS13

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we too quiet as crowd members nowadays?

YES!

In fact, I intend on yelling "Judges, are you watching!" at the appropriate spot in the music B)

Maybe it was just a flat crowd...how did they respond to the shows themselves?

...and I'm with you, I like to yell and scream as well, when something is particularly nuts on field/at the encore. I've gone home from several shows hoarse. :)

Obviously, the vibe is still there nowadays (witness "Pit-Stain Dude" from the Madison 1997 DM picture at Finals :P ), but sometimes at individual shows, I think it gets lost.

Edited by bawker

What's going on with crowds at DCI shows nowadays?

I totally agree, I was at Finals last year with my best friend, and had a similar experience. We were on the 50 like 15 rows up for the Cadets encore performance, and when they hit their final chord in the ballad (which was amazing) we went nuts and nobody around did a **** thing. It was depressing.

I think people are becoming numb to greatness. It may sound weird, but I think it is true. They spend so much time watching the perfect golfers, perfect models, perfect singers, etc. on TV and videos that they can't get excited about anything anymore. It's really kind of sad. You should see the looks I get when I yell "DO IT UP, KANSAS" for my son before the corps starts their show every night. You would think I had just committed murder :blink: . BUT, I do it anyway, because he likes it and says it gets him pumped up. Go ahead and yell, jump, etc. The members love it and who cares what the local yocals think.

when the trumpets reenter with that main melody at there-aren't-enough-fortes-to-describe-how-loud-it-was

would MFL due it or more

Same thing experienced at Madison's home show last weekend. In Madison of all places!

Though I did have a really cool experience to counteract flat crowd syndrome. Scouts played their opener (among other things) for the encore) and my wife and I were sitting about 10 rows back right in front of the contras and baris. They're playing the first couple of passages and I'm thinking to myself, this is pretty cool. Then the first big hit came and the crowd reaction was immediate and strong. If I would have yelled at the top of my lungs you couldn't have heard me. A huge grin came over my face. I saw this kid in the pit was just absolutely beaming. You could tell he was getting off on the crowd going nuts. I'm glad to say these moments are still happening out there.

Eric