The season almost half over and I'm tired of hearing

And as John probably knows the DCA schedule is also shorter now. Used to be Memorial day exhibition shows until Labor Day Finals. Now..... :(

Other folks from Canada please help me out here - do you remember the show out in Ajax running around the May 24th long weekend? I can picture a poster for that show with pictures of Del and Toronto Opti and I'm SURE it was May 22 or something like that. Am I even more senile than I thought or was it really a full 3 month season up here (I know I marched CDCA nationals in September after labour day because I had to get time off school to go to Ottawa for it).

That doesn't even count the indoor shows.....

Jim

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Season' is Half Over":

Thats what's SAD. The "Season", all what, six weeks of it is "Half Over". When "Drum Corps was Drum Corps" we had a "season" that started on Memorial Day and often ended in October with what were then State, Circuit and Association Championships.

DCI 'fixed' all of that for us, didn't they.... <**>

Elphaba

Why do you even bother coming to the junior forums? I have NEVER seen you say a single positive thing about DCI today. It's always just "dci isn't drum corps" and "back in my day blah blah blah" ########. I don't like rap but I don't go troll on rap forums.

Did CDCA include Senior and Junior corps? Don't have my History of Drum Corps book handy and might be getting confused with ye olde Cadanian Nationals Championships.

Have a CD recording of Guelph Royalaires at early 60s Nationals. The field announcement is on the recording "..our first competing unit in Senior...".

Did CDCA include Senior and Junior corps? Don't have my History of Drum Corps book handy and might be getting confused with ye olde Cadanian Nationals Championships.

Have a CD recording of Guelph Royalaires at early 60s Nationals. The field announcement is on the recording "..our first competing unit in Senior...".

Yes - I have my program from Ottawa nationals 1969 around here somewhere, but there were a bunch of classes that had finals during the day (standstill, parade classes etc, most of them with subdivisions of "A", "B", "C" etc, that's where I was competing) and at night finals there was, if I remember correctly, Junior B, All Girls, Junior A, and Senior A (Senior B having their finals during the day). 12 corps in Canadian finals after 40 or so more had finished/been eliminated during the day. What a show!

Now we have 4 junior and as of this year no senior competetive corps. :(

If I find that program I'll comfirm some of this stuff.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the info, that fills in some of the "wierd" catagories in the HoDC book. Lots of corps groupings with a couple of corps in each. They have the Nationals results for all the years that could be found.

And I think the Guelph (miss that corps) field announcement included the words "Senior A".

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

I choose:

My wife yelling at me cutting the grass

Although I’m not sure of the intended meaning. Did you mean?

My wife yelling at me [while I’m] cutting the grass.

My wife yelling at me, “Cutting the grass[!]”.

My wife yelling at me [to begin] cutting the grass.

My wife yelling at me [while I’m] cutting the [cheese while I’m cutting the] grass.

My wife yelling at me [because I started another inane argument over why the season is shorter than it used to be while I should be] cutting the grass.

It makes me sad to keep hearing all of the same negative arguments about this activity. It is also embarrassing, knowing that current marching members will possibly read some or all of this after the season.

They are all on the field now, for basically the same reason that you or I were years ago,...because they love what they are doing!!! They practice long and hard,...just like you did. They sleep on gym floors ,...just like you did. They DO eat better than we did. They don't have to perform on Labor Day,...with, admit it, 10-20 holes for the members that did have to attend college. They don't have to perform Memorial Day, with, admit it, most corps playing anywhere from 1-2 songs, or almost complete repertoires from the year before. Why try to recreate what was then,...enjoy what the kids are doing now,...they are getting the same enjoyment that you did then.

Drum corps has changed from years ago,...yet it remains the same. If it hasn't,.....most of us wouldn't be here checking scores ,complimenting,...or complaining.

Go to shows, buy some souvies,...sponsor a member or two, get to know them, feed them, cheer them on. They will carry a piece of you on the field with them every time they perform. They also will relish your stories of how it used to be,...and respect you for the legacy you have left them.

Believe me, ...they love the history of drum corps, the passion of drum corps, and the mark that they will leave. Don't dissappoint them with the negativity.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"Season' is Half Over":

Thats what's SAD. The "Season", all what, six weeks of it is "Half Over". When "Drum Corps was Drum Corps" we had a "season" that started on Memorial Day and often ended in October with what were then State, Circuit and Association Championships.

DCI 'fixed' all of that for us, didn't they.... <**>

Elphaba

Earlier school year starts fixed that...