"field turf"

I can offer up my own comparisons between astroturf, "water-based" fields, and artifical grass. Astroturf and water-based fields seem pretty similar, with water-based fields being a little bit softer on the feet, but neither really being wonderful to walk on for a long period of time. Artificial grass is an improvement, but is better the older it is (it seems). The more the rubber pellets are worked down into the grass, the more the field seems like grass to someone on it.

Personally? I'll take an artificial grass field any day for rehearsals, because they're unrelentingly consistent regardless of the weather, even after inches of rain. But come game day or show time, give me a well-cared for dirt-and-grass field to march on.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Field turf is great. The Brockton, MA show was almost cancelled because it rained all day Friday and then started to rain again Saturday afternoon, really picking up around showtime. It was still raining when ECJ went, and some people were worried about the condition of the field. They shouldn't have. That stuff gives you perfect traction regardless of the weather conditions, and if I hadn't been able to see that it was raining I would've guessed I was marching on a dry field. The stuff is absolutely amazing when it comes to handling weather.

I know just enough on this topic to be dangerous.

But here goes -

It doesn't just depend on what the top level of the turf is made of - it is also a function of the various subsurface layers (a big term for a former contra player). At some places el-cheapo grass seed is planted on whatever soil is naturally there, in others they truck in layers and build in drainage, etc with premium sports turf seed. Same w/ 'astroturf' - I can think of at least three different types (or installations) I marched on in the midwest in the late 70's-early 80's

Definitely true...I've marched on astroturf that ranged from the quality professional kind (the old Madison field, Buffalo) to what felt like a wrestling mat laid over springs (Hornell, NY).

Definitely true...I've marched on astroturf that ranged from the quality professional kind (the old Madison field, Buffalo) to what felt like a wrestling mat laid over springs (Hornell, NY).

If that stadium you're talking about in Hornell is the one I'm thinking of, back in 1996 it was like green asphalt covered with sand. :ph34r:

I remember the stadium in Michigan City, IN, they had the BEST natural grass I've ever seen on a high school field. Do they still have that, or did they switch to fieldturf?

Funny you should ask - I saw my first DC show there in early 1970's. I remember Madison & SCV were there.

Back then it was a baseball stadium. It is also where Spirit broke the pressbox glass in 1980 (was there for that too), really just a small crack that might have been a little bigger, but that is where urban legends come from

but I digress

The new one is still called Ames Field, it now faces the opposite direction. It is indeed a fine venue, maybe the best small venue in drum corps

Absolutely LOVE it...J Birney Crumb has it...which ive marched on countless times, and its phenominal!