Cadets

With all that has been written about the 2006 Cadets, this was the show I most anticipated seeing last night. I have never been much of a Cadet fan, didn't like last year's effort at all and was, to be blunt, ready to loathe this one. But, in the words of that wise sage, C. Montgomery Burns, "I know what I hate...and I didn't hate this."

Once you strip away all the theatrics, props, vocals and assorted toys, what you're left with is a very solid drum corps with a solid show. And, when you take the production for what it is -- whatever that may be -- it's actually fairly entertaining. Now, would I want to see every other corps take this approach and have to sit through 3 or 4 similar shows? Absolutely not! But, I found this to be oddly refreshing. Say what you will, it's different, unique and risky. I'm very much a traditionalist and haven't exactly embraced some of the changes to the genre we've experienced recently, but you have to give the Cadets credit for moving in a different direction, for trying something new. Is it a typical corps show? No way. Does it fly in the face of history and tradition? Yes. Do I think this is the direction of the future? I sincerely hope not. Is it entertaining? As much as I hate to admit it, yes, it is.

Having said that, my main concern, and what I really don't like, is that all the activity from the characters, all the vocals, the moving of props and such, detracts from the corps proper. It almost seems as if the corps is a backdrop or accompaniment to the storytelling. The drill may, in fact, be one of the hardest on the field, but you'd never know that because of all that takes place around it. The brass line is likely one of the most talented in the activity but it is often overshadowed by dialogue or amped vocals. Percussion is first rate, but who's really paying attention when the Red Queen is leaping off a pink picnic table? In short, I wish the emphasis was somewhat more on the skills of the corps rather than the theatrical elements of the show.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it amusing to anyone else that the same talk about the Cadets show happened last summer...everyone hated it...they were down by points...and all of a sudden they clean and catch everyone by the end of July.

Im definately not saying this is going to happen...its just interesting.

So - I'm wondering why the same number off emotional responses and threads aren't out there for the Blue Stars who have recently added alot of narration or the Crossmen?

Having heard the narration in Crossmen's show, I think it definately adds to it. A great concept.

The Blue Stars also recently added narration that I havn't heard enough of to comment on, but I here it is based on a President Roosevelt speech that he gave that outlines the four freedoms that every American should have....hence the concept of their show - The gift of Freedom.

Who else is integrating narration into their programs?

I've seen the Blue Stars 4 times this year and last night was the first time I'd heard the narration. I don't feel it's needed and, in some ways, detracts from the simplicity and innocence of the show. Prior to Indy, I'd never had any trouble deciphering the meaning or intent of the "Freedom" theme, as I think it's presented and carried out quite well in the music and visual elements of the program.

It's almost like having a favorite movie ruined by a critic's uninvited explanation, or to enjoy a beautiful piece of music for its intrinisic beauty, only to have that marred by the theoretical analysis of a well-intentioned but unwelcomed commentator.

I like everything that the Cadets march and play this year. In fact, I REALLY like it! Once they begin to perform it better, their scores will show it.

But I have to agree with G. The uniforms are a good concept, but poorly executed. They look like they were created by a kindergartner. The props also don't look that great. And why did the picnic tables need to be pink? It just makes everything look cheap. And I like the concept of the door, but it still looks cheap also.

In contrast, the Cavaliers have some really WILD guard uniforms this year. But they are obviously made well, and they don't have a cheap look about them...

Again, I really like what the Cadets are doing and trying to do. It's the way they're doing it that I don't like. There is a classiness that's missing, IMO. And it doesn't have anything to do with the performers. The blame rests almost entirely with whoever designed the ugly stuff!

Ok, great, unique, angle but here's the thing. If you are going to go all out, you better let the nonsense be of the same standards the corps would have been had they stayed traditional.

For instance, the design of the jackets ?? Sophmoric. Red Queen outf it and others ?? Again, completely amateurish. Backdrops? Just there taking up space and average. Vocals ? Average, nothing that will make anyone shake their head and say "wow, what a great singer, I really want to join Cadets next year"

The banter during the tea party? Extremely unimaginative...get the trend here ?? You have a drumline, brassline, and colorguard, along with a visual program that are world class, cutting edge, and top of the line. Dont substitute it with a high school drama show full of mediocre props/gimmics !!

~G~

Amen....vocals in drum corps are all the same - bad high school drama! I mean, sorry Crown, but your "Seasons of Love" vocals were worse than those I've heard in high school musicals.

I hate vocals in drum corps. I think spending the $400 I did to fly home is going to be a HUGE disappoint. THANK GOD for Bluecoats, Phantom, BD, SCV, Madison, and Cavies (among others) - those who have kept drum corps, drum corps!

I'm taking GMichael out of the equation here and with that said... Stream of Consciousness, you are my hero. :rock:

Why people feel the need to rehash what they do not like about the Cadets show ad nauseum is mind boggling...and would be funny as #### if there wasn't a group of young people directly involved.

Here's one more for you---- :beer:

:rock::wall::beer:

Like I said, with GMichael its 1 of the 2 reasons. He/she knows it & will not retort.

I'm taking GMichael out of the equation here and with that said... Stream of Consciousness, you are my hero. :rock:

Why people feel the need to rehash what they do not like about the Cadets show ad nauseum is mind boggling...and would be funny as #### if there wasn't a group of young people directly involved.

Here's one more for you---- :rock:

Because some of us are ####### sick of the Cadets (well the changes GH is bringing to the activity). What is even worse, is the Cadets were one of the most brilliant, if not THE most brilliant, drum corps to ever hit the field. If it ain't broke - don't fix it. It's such a shame...really, such a shame. But, I am sick of them.

Because some of us are ####### sick of the Cadets (well the changes GH is bringing to the activity).
So, you're saying GH singlehandedly changed the activity? You give George too much credit, I'd think you'd know better than that.

Amen....vocals in drum corps are all the same - bad high school drama! I mean, sorry Crown, but your "Seasons of Love" vocals were worse than those I've heard in high school musicals.

I hate vocals in drum corps. I think spending the $400 I did to fly home is going to be a HUGE disappoint. THANK GOD for Bluecoats, Phantom, BD, SCV, Madison, and Cavies (among others) - those who have kept drum corps, drum corps!

Seasons of Love by Crown is one of my favourite drum corps charts of all time. Crafted perfectly if you ask me. B)