Blue Stars - Gift of Freedom

Wow, I thought that there would an abundance of posts on this thread immediatley....I should change the title to Cadets narration. I guess it seems to only be problematic and 'not durm corps' when the Cadets do it?!?!

I've seen the show once live and once on Season Pass, and I can honestly say that the narration in this show is quite complimentary and helpful. I do not mind it one bit. As for the Cadets, that isn't just narration. That four minutes of talking, singing, whatever the case. BTW, I had no problem with the small narration in 2005 Cadets show about unlocking the door, but it doesn't have to go overboard.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the show once live and once on Season Pass, and I can honestly say that the narration in this show is quite complimentary and helpful. I do not mind it one bit. As for the Cadets, that isn't just narration. That four minutes of talking, singing, whatever the case. BTW, I had no problem with the small narration in 2005 Cadets show about unlocking the door, but it doesn't have to go overboard.

I meant my other post in more of a sarcastic tone - I'm a big fan of both the Cadets and Blue Stars and the programs they have brought to the field this year - narration, amps and vocals included.

Maybe it would help to know how this show was conceived: During World War II, President Roosevelt delivered a speech to a joint session of Congress. In that speech, he outlined four freedoms enjoyed by America that should be spread throughout the world. His speech inspired Norman Rockwell to paint four portraits depicting these four freedoms. The pictures toured the country to raise money for the war effort.

The words you hear are from Roosevelt's speech.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/powers_of...r_freedoms.html

I saw Blue Stars live a few weeks ago and then raved about them on DCP, how awesome their show is, how good their hornline sounds, how great the singing of "Simple Gifts" is (unamped!). And now their amping voice, for narration? I haven't seen the show with the narration, but I'm really unhappy to find out that they added it! Go ahead and throw rocks at me for "not liking" what I haven't seen yet, but the show was great as it was! And I got the whole show concept without having someone talking into a microphone.

Well, actually... that's not true. The announcer for the show at Port Huron, you know, the guy who says, "Blue Stars, you may take the field for competition", THAT announcer. He talked about FDR and the four freedoms. Perhaps because it was on Blue Stars' spill sheet? I thought that that was plenty enough! Why can't people read about it in their programs, and then maybe find out more about FDR and his speech on their own? Or, they could even have had 4 backdrops on the field, each one displaying a giant replica of Rockwell's paintings. Who knows, maybe they had to have gotten rights to do that...

Edited by madscout96

We should sell texas to Germany cause no one actually lives there, only a marginally small fraction of people.

I thought it was because of the shared ideological history :P

(Now I'll get in trouble with my son-in-law. He's from Germany. And lives in Texas.)

I saw the show on season pass and I had an early season APD. I liked the show much more before the narration. Where as the music was very effectively telling the story before hand. Now there is someone dictating the story to you. It is going on almost constantly through out the show. I will give them props for having a member who delivers the narration very well, but it is in many respects all too similar to Boston in 2004. Talking just to talk.

I saw early performances of the Blue Stars' show, and I thought it was fantastic without the narration. I guess I get to see them tonight and tomorrow and judge for myself...

Saw the Blue Stars in Indy. It makes sense that this was their first time using the amped vocals, because they kept cutting in and out. Still some technical issues to work out there. Someone earlier in the thread echoed my thoughts pretty well when they stated that the narration reminded them of Boston '04. It's lengthy and descriptive in the same manner, used in transitions the same way, and does come across as a bit intrusive. I would like to see them scale it back.

I saw the show twice without vocals and once with, and I preferred it without. I think it's not only an insult to the fans, but an insult to the mambers if they cant portray the show concept by their performance.

I'm not surprised at all with the adding of narration. Also it being compared to Boston 04 is no surprise either. Same guy did the music book and narration is common place in some of the work he has done with BOA groups.

Not saying anything good or bad. Just making a statement.

Hmm, that does explain a lot. This show definitely had a lot of the same feel as the other books that he's put together, and added narration suddenly seems like it was inevitable all along.