Sprained ankle, What Can I Do?

Hi, All,

Well, I knew those stupid stairs were going to get me eventually. This morning, I missed the last two or three stair steps and came down hard on my ankle. It is slightly swollen but doesn't look too bad, yet. But I can barely put my wait on it and it hurts like crazy. I'm concerned about it not healing by this weekend's rehearsal and competition. What can I do to speed recovery process?

Thanks, Elizabeth

Edited by Eaglesong

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, All,

Well, I knew those stupid stairs were going to get me eventually. This morning, I missed the last two or three stair steps and came down hard on my ankle. It is slightly swollen but doesn't look too bad, yet. But I can barely put my wait on it and it hurts like crazy. I'm concerned about it not healing by this weekend's rehearsal and competition. What can I do to speed recovery process?

Thanks, Elizabeth

Ice it down and stay off of it.

Hi, All,

Thanks, Elizabeth

I roll my ankles all the time, so I know the answer to this. RICE! Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevate. Ice and elevation is most effective when done immediately after the injury, but sometimes isn't possible.

Rest:

The first 24-48 hours after the injury is considered a critical treatment period and activities need to be curtailed. Gradually put as much weight on the involved ankle as tolerated and discontinue crutch use when you can walk with a normal gait (with minimal to no pain or limp).

Ice:

For the first 48 hours post-injury, ice pack and elevate the ankle sprain 20 minutes at a time every 3-4 hours. The ice pack can be a bag of frozen vegetables (peas or corn), allowing you to be able to re-use the bag.

Compression:

Use compression when elevating the ankle sprain in early treatment. Using an Ace bandage, wrap the ankle from the toes all the way up to the top of the calf muscle, overlapping the elastic wrap by one-half of the width of the wrap. The wrap should be snug, but not cutting off circulation to the foot and ankle. So, if your foot becomes cold, blue, or falls asleep, re-wrap!

Elevate:

Keep your ankle sprain higher than your heart as often as possible. Elevate at night by placing books under the foot of your mattresses--just stand up slowly in the morning.

More severe ankle sprain injuries, including complete tears of the ligaments and fractures of the bone may need different treatment and rehab than a simple ankle sprain. It is important that you see your doctor before beginning treatment or if your symptoms do not steadily improve over time.

See this for more: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstr...klesprain_2.htm

If it's a garden variety sprain, you should be ready to go by the weekend. I'd continue to wrap, ice, and elevate (when you get a chance) over the next weekend's rehearsal and competition. I get good results with ibuprofen for pain management. If you have no improvement over the next couple of days. You should go to your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Edited by xrifle

Our center snare broke his toe a few weeks back, he's just now getting back to the field.

sorry to hear about your accident, Elizabeth.

By the description of your accident, I am going to guess that you turned your ankle inward - it is the most common result of stepping down hard like you describe.

RICE is always good advice, although the ice does lose its effectiveness after a while. it is only good to minimize the initial swelling. after that, rest and elevation are your best options. Pain meds are okay, and if you have an NSAID prescription, that would help too, although you should see your physician for definitive medication advice.

Compression? subject to debate - IMO it doesn't really do much to mend the physical injury, but if you get relief through supporting the ankly, guess it won't hurt.

Unfortunately, full recovery could be as much as 4-6 weeks - that means you should expect to still be hurting this weekend. As I mentioned to you (I think) several months ago in another thread, I would ask someone in Gold with an EMS or sport medicine background to exercise/massage your ankle before rehearsal and the show, and stirrup tape wrap that ankle to give it support and prevent further injury or longer recovery time.

If no one is familiar with the proper way to do that for you, I would be happy to speak with them for you and give them some online instruction.

If done properly, and you don't overdo it, you should be fine for your performance, and not prolong your recovery.

Best of luck!

Hi, All,

Thanks, Elizabeth

rest ice and aspirin and wrop it up. you might have to wrap it for the weekend. it takes some getting use to marching with a wraped ankle but it feels fine after a coupple of minuts.

Edited by krazyivan

Instead of the "I" in rice being peas/corn - I get the best results from using spinash/cauliflower....

John Z helped me with a sprained ankle during a show in the 1980's....My money is on his recommendations....

Stay off your feet until the day of the show if possible.....Speedy recovery....

Pgh Guy Bari 2

John G

NSAIDS are available OTC.

Aleve. :)

Take 2 instead of 1 every 12 hours.

Looking for something a little stronger than OTC Naproxen, Mike. IMO, the otc stuff will only take the edge off the ankle sprain pain, and do little to help with the inflammation, especially when someone is preparing for field time in less than a week. Shouldn't take it longer than 7-10 days straight, and *shouldn't* hyperdose because of the side effects.

It goes without saying that I am far from an expert on this. Good luck, Elizabeth, and I hope you are a quick healer! If you are like the rest of us drum corps knuckleheads, you'll probably forget about your ankle on the first note of your performance, and be not so gently reminded of it after you leave the field.

Edited by lipsprain