Cadets Characters?

If it's one of the most entertaining shows on the field, how come nobody is entertained? Seriously. They've been getting tepid responses from the crowds.

I saw the show, I felt the lack of response, I know how to fix it, and it's not Amps or anything else radical being done with the show.

The. Last. Two. Minutes. Don't. Sell. The. Show. The opening's fine, the drum solo is fantastic, the ballad is beautiful, and then... huh? I loved the show when I saw it in Indy, but the ending left me feeling flat. Really flat. WTF? flat.

They've already said that they're changing the ending. Good. Can't wait for Madison.

(Oh, wait? A reasoned response with specific examples? Not knee-jerk Cadets bashing and people talking past each other? No one will read this, will they? I'm sorry if people feel like fighting instead of taking the time to analyze.)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's one of the most entertaining shows on the field, how come nobody is entertained? Seriously. They've been getting tepid responses from the crowds. People aren't standing. Usually when I go to shows, everybody stands for everyone. They've gone so over-the-top this time, tripping over themselves to provide ENTERTAINMENT 4 EVERY 1!® that it ends up just being silly and doesn't endear itself to drum corps fans. Sorry, I know you're a Cadets fan and all, but this show was an unfortunate misfire. I feel bad about the whole deal.

Thank you for your civil response. I guess I'm in the minority, I honestly think the Cadets have a great product this season.

I think they have a good product, but I just don't think it is as well designed and fluid as last years. I don't see them repeating unless they make the show flow better and make the story easier to follow (or actually put some kind of story in the show).

I think they have a good product, but I just don't think it is as well designed and fluid as last years. I don't see them repeating unless they make the show flow better and make the story easier to follow (or actually put some kind of story in the show).

I agree. I love the "dreamscapes" concept, and we saw last year how amazing and surreal it could be. This year... not so much. Just like most movies with a sequel, the original was better.

I (and I'm sure many) still remember the responses directed to The Cadets' show last year DURING the season and many of the same people AFTER the season...and they were night and day.

Let's give the show a little time to evolve and see if the responses from the fans evolve as much as the show and those responses from last year.

I (and I'm sure many) still remember the responses directed to The Cadets' show last year DURING the season and many of the same people AFTER the season...and they were night and day.

Let's give the show a little time to evolve and see if the responses from the fans evolve as much as the show and those responses from last year.

I'd agree. The first time I saw the 2005 show, early in the season, there was no way I thought it could win. Between the changes they put in and the show just growing on me, I loved it by Finals.

I'm not sure the 2006 show will grow on me like 2005 did, but I'm trying to keep my mind open. The big difference between the two shows, IMHO, is that 2005 seemed to use the storyline to focus on the performance. Maybe you liked the use of amps or maybe you didn't, but it was easy to see the difficulty in the music and visual. This year the focus seems to be on the storyline. You almost need to block all the extraneous stuff out in order to see where the sections may become as good as last year; it's become too much like work.

My complaint with the Cadets show, last year and this year, is that it's inaccessible. It takes multiple viewings to understand. Add in the stuff they put in over the last few days (Alice finding the hardhat, etc.) which you don't get if you didn't see LAST year's show, and it becomes a bit too "inside" for an awful lot of people. I'm not saying all shows should be "dumbed down" for newbies but if the casual 1-2 show a year fan can't see the excellence, maybe the show is over-designed.

I'd agree. The first time I saw the 2005 show, early in the season, there was no way I thought it could win. Between the changes they put in and the show just growing on me, I loved it by Finals.

I'm not sure the 2006 show will grow on me like 2005 did, but I'm trying to keep my mind open. The big difference between the two shows, IMHO, is that 2005 seemed to use the storyline to focus on the performance. Maybe you liked the use of amps or maybe you didn't, but it was easy to see the difficulty in the music and visual. This year the focus seems to be on the storyline. You almost need to block all the extraneous stuff out in order to see where the sections may become as good as last year; it's become too much like work.

My complaint with the Cadets show, last year and this year, is that it's inaccessible. It takes multiple viewings to understand. Add in the stuff they put in over the last few days (Alice finding the hardhat, etc.) which you don't get if you didn't see LAST year's show, and it becomes a bit too "inside" for an awful lot of people. I'm not saying all shows should be "dumbed down" for newbies but if the casual 1-2 show a year fan can't see the excellence, maybe the show is over-designed.

I agree with most of what you said; however, I really don't think their show is difficult to understand at all. It just takes multiple viewings to appreciate what they are doing. 2006 is very difficult to understand if you are not familiar with 2005, which I believe is a serious problem - it cuts out new fans from truly appreicating what is going on. Also, it seems the Cadets are almost trying to create something like the Blair Witch Project or Lost, where going to the internet to find out more is intergral to the show. For example, how would anyone know that the catholic school girl's name is Dani without reading Hop's blog? Use of the internet in this manner was brilliant for BWP and Lost, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea for a drum corps show.

I don't have one in front of me at the moment....but I think the DCI program this year calls her Dani?? :worthy:

Can you imagine coming home from tour and finding out there was a DCP thread discussing (among other things) your weight? It's kind of a touchy subject for most women.

And I have a feeling most of the people posting in this thread are probably not exactly underwear models. Far from it.

I know we're talking about the "inapprorpiateness" of her costume, and not her, but really..... it's this topic that is not appropriate.