What's missing in today's shows?

Hmmm??? I could go on for days on this topic, but here's a few things I think are missing from today's shows:

1). A hornline that can play more then whole notes, half notes, and quarter notes for 50% of their show.

2). A drill that would make George Zingali proud, which includes PLAYING while doing 3 steps to 5 yd movements!!!

3). Snares that don't sound like your playing on a formica countertop.

4). Guard work that matches the ENTIRE show musically and visually!

5). Horns in the key of 'G'

6). Ballads that make you cry every time you hear them played.

7). "Trademark" corps songs that are actually a part of a competition show rather then something played during retreat, or at a victory encore concert!!

Should I go on?????

:)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspections :)

This is so true. The tuning of today does not present the robust sound of the battery.

I wasn't able to make it to the Seattle Show, but the feedback I got from drummers, (at the Oregon show too), was the visible lack of drumming. From what I hear Santa Clara played a little drum feature, but there was not noticable drumming out there. Is this a trend this year??? I hope not. I always thought something that made drum corps special was that it was different, but you could tap your feet to most of the tunes, (instead of looking puzzled), and the thought, "WOW, I want to do that!!!" What's missing? DRUM SOLOS!!! While it's nice to bring new things to the table and experiment, but let's not do it at the cost of losing what made this activity special. I appreciate the athleticism of people running around at fast speeds, (very, very demanding), but please let's bring back some tasty, musical drum solos. That's what's going to bring drummers in, and more alumni in the stands.

This is so true. The tuning of today does not present the robust sound of the battery.

I totally agree. While Mylar may be a pain in the arse, it makes the snare drum sound like a snare drum, or loosen the black, or white max head. Sounds choked, but it's better than that high pitched countertop.

Although I agree to an extent, I would say that the snare sound is MUCH improved over the past 10 or so years. After the novelty of the "Kevlar Cranking" wore off, IMHO, corps seem to have sought more of a full-bodied sonority (with the possible exception of most Dynasty snares which seem to have NO shell resonance).

Edited by Storkysr

More than likely...but you have to admit, for some people who may not have a large breadth of musical experience/knowledge, some of todays shows take a while to process, and certainly aren't tunes you take out of the stadium with you immediately.

This year is a lot better about that...BD's "Godfather" theme is pretty recognizable, the Cadets "White Rabbit", and Glassmen's Beethoven amongst others. :)

Even some of us who do have a fairly large breadth of musical knowledge think that un-melodic "hack'n'slash" arrangements (or recompositions) are a problem. That doesn't mean that it has to be "recognizable," just that it's nice when there's a tune there that you can relate to. 'Course, I prefer a strong melodic content in symphonic and wind music, too. And, man, I respect you too much to think that you don't realize this, but what you said there could be taken as mildly insulting ... just because someone's tastes run towards music with more accessible melodies doesn't mean they're inexperienced or ignorant.

Did someone say this already? Guess I really ought to read the entire thread before responding. :worthy: