How do we get DCI Championships to broadcast in HD?

Me...like most people wo have the HD technology will watch anything in HD....Just because it's in HD...#### I've seen them do kite surfing many times just because its on HD. HD Rocks! Drum Corps in HD would be awesome...even the fluff pieces!

I'm watching an IMAX free-diving movie in HD right now -- gorgeous. Really dull, but can't take my eyes off the screen, except occasionally to type.

Kamarag, I'm bummed about the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing. Sounds like the next VHS vs. Betamax fiasco (man, I just showed my age!). I'll be glad when one of them shakes out as the winner and we get some good content. I had my HD tv four years before I could get cable HD; worth the wait and every penny Comcast charges me!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While camera technology has improved greatly over the past few years, the cost to rent the cameras is still insane.

Also, there is currently no viable way to distribute HD content besides hd-cable and sat. It would be stupid for DCI to try to choose a format (hd-dvd or blu-ray) because not only is there no guarantee of the chosen format winning the war, but the market for those discs is very small at this time. Offering the shows for download online is also nearly out of the question at this point because of file size. Assuming that it would take 4 discs as it does on DVD and using the same resolution and compression used on an HD-DVD disc or Blu-Ray, the download size for the finals set would be around 100 gigs (ish). Have you tried downloading that much information lately? If you tried to download all of the div 1 corps you would probably get a letter from your isp telling you that you are in danger of having your service cut off. (this really does happen)

Also, DCI would hear a lot of complaints if the DVD's used a 16:9 aspect ratio. A lot of people hate the black bars. I used to sell tv's and the black bars drive a lot of women (and a few men) nuts. I personally love widescreen, even on a 4:3 tv, but I'm not most people.

I could go on, but you get the point. I would personally love to see drum corps in full 1080p 4:4:4 widescreen glory, but from a money and current market perspective it is not feasible. Give it a few more years when we've got a winner in the format war and more people have widescreen, hdtv's and then it will make sense to do finals in HD.

While camera technology has improved greatly over the past few years, the cost to rent the cameras is still insane.

It's more, but it's not insane.

Assuming that it would take 4 discs as it does on DVD and using the same resolution and compression used on an HD-DVD disc or Blu-Ray, the download size for the finals set would be around 100 gigs (ish). Have you tried downloading that much information lately? If you tried to download all of the div 1 corps you would probably get a letter from your isp telling you that you are in danger of having your service cut off. (this really does happen)

Not at all. Obviously, you aren't into podcasting or vidcasting. The vid-cast "MacBreak" is distrubuted in HD using the h.264 compression protocol (they use QuickTime .mov files). Episode #10, has a length of a 9:57. At a resolution of 720p, the file size is 48mb. They have a 540p and 1080p version of each episode, and thier file sizes are very small given the resolution.

DCI could easily make single shows avaliable for purchase and download.

Also, DCI would hear a lot of complaints if the DVD's used a 16:9 aspect ratio. A lot of people hate the black bars. I used to sell tv's and the black bars drive a lot of women (and a few men) nuts. I personally love widescreen, even on a 4:3 tv, but I'm not most people.

I could go on, but you get the point. I would personally love to see drum corps in full 1080p 4:4:4 widescreen glory, but from a money and current market perspective it is not feasible. Give it a few more years when we've got a winner in the format war and more people have widescreen, hdtv's and then it will make sense to do finals in HD.

A couple of years ago, the black-bar argument would wash...but not today. People know the difference between 4:3 and widescreen, and if they don't, it's very easy to educate them. I used to sell that stuff too, and when you explain it, 99% of folks approve.

Of course, when the RED digital camera becomes avaliable, 4:4:4 will be an affordable reality (DCI could just purchase several for themselves).

Does dci even sell the dvd's in widescreen yet? I hate watching drum corps on my widescreen tv, because of how it stretches the field. I know I can switch to 4:3, but then I have the bars on the sides, and the picture is too small.

You'd think with quarterfinals being in theaters and so many people having widescreen tvs, dci would have changed by now.

Does dci even sell the dvd's in widescreen yet? I hate watching drum corps on my widescreen tv, because of how it stretches the field. I know I can switch to 4:3, but then I have the bars on the sides, and the picture is too small.

You'd think with quarterfinals being in theaters and so many people having widescreen tvs, dci would have changed by now.

No not available in widescreen. In fact, I thought they shot the DVD's with HD camera's but after doing some research, I was wrong (not as up on the technology as I should be, and I work in TV, go figure). I do know that Tom has used two sets of cameras in the past to shot the shows, one for the television gig, and the other set for the DVD, thought I am not sure to what extent he is doing that now.

well for all you people who want to see dci in HD all tv broadcasts will be in HD by 2009. so unless DCI starts selling dvds in HD you gotta wait another 2 years or so

What percentage of the viewing public has HD?

Mike (still has an antenna attached to his house)

you also have to consider in the target audience. what percentage of tv viewers are on HD.. and how many of those even know what drum corps is? now of those who do, how many people will be watching it?

you can have HD sports, because thousands or hundreds of thousands of people will be watching it.. i doubt that many people would for DCI

Can we start a petition to be sent to the producers of ESPN/Disney/ABC or something, please?

As far as I'm concerned, DCI Championships will never quite come across well enough on television until it is broadcast in High Definition.

Aaaahhhh... the picture clarity, the widescreen format, the ability to see horn moves and guard work... I can picture it now...

B)

The problem is that ESPN/Disney/ABC don't produce the DCI telecast. DCI provides the content to ESPN2 and recoups some of the costs from advertising it sells (NAMM, etc.) So, increased costs would be borne by DCI.

I have no idea what the incremental cost of an HD broadcast would be but if they're significant, don't hold your breath.

Dumb question for techies out there: I know there's presently no single standard for DVD-HD. But if DCI did film in HD, does it make a difference? They'd probably need to market DVD's in both formats, just like video stores used to carry VHS and Beta, but the front end production equipment would be the same, no?

Edited by Phillygwm