Judging gripes by corps directors

A quote from George Hopkins' blog:

We have suddenly been pounded in ensemble visual for the use of the benches --- not by all judges but by two, and the guard --- well, one person on two different days has seen it in his mind to put one point spreads between

the Cadets and the top? Does anyone think the Cadets guard is one point from the top? Not for 15 years? and I would venture to say, not this year.

So, who is right? How will it shake out.

Notice how Hopkins seeks to single out and discredit certain caption scores that didn't work out in his corps' favor. I don't think that's unusual - except that he's doing it publicly. I don't see Dave Gibbs complaining about caption scores in a public forum, or Jeff Fiedler, Pat Seidling....or any other corps director in any division.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought up the same caption scores - they were nuts. As far as Hopkins doing it in his blog - well - as you guys like to point out so often "freedom of speech" baby. It works both ways.

IMO the weak judging line up in Indy - and the weak scoring the next night - deserve a second look by someone in the judging leadership - I am certain a lot of eyebrows were raised.

A quote from George Hopkins' blog:

Notice how Hopkins seeks to single out and discredit certain caption scores that didn't work out in his corps' favor. I don't think that's unusual - except that he's doing it publicly. I don't see Dave Gibbs complaining about caption scores in a public forum, or Jeff Fiedler, Pat Seidling....or any other corps director in any division.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Hopkins is an egotistical taint. No other director would lack the professionalism to make these types of comments, this public even if they were ticked off or bugged by a judge.

Is GH the only Drum Corps Grand High Poobah <$1 to Flintstones?> with a blog?

Jes' wonderin'......

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Bad form George! You would think after all these years he would know better. I would say this is over-stepping his bounds by a lot.

I appreciate his honesty.

I disagree with his being upset about a JUDGE being honest. (I happen to agree with those ensemble visual judges, and that is the caption they should be getting hit with, the way I see it.)

I also think it's probably best that he follow his own advice and take his complaints to the people who can do something about it. He preaches that to his members all the time, telling them that complaining to people who can't do anything about it is a waste of energy.

Side note/Possible future thread: Do we really want the judges to be honest? Only if they like us? Hmmm.

I agree that Hop or any other director has the right to say whatever he wants. I also agree that not every judging panel is as good as every other. I don't see where Hop is bashing anyone, he's just being honest about where they got hurt on the sheets.

That said, consider the NBA... If a coach comes out in a post-game press conference (or in Mark Cuban's case later on his blog) and says that the officiating s*cks, the league is quick to follow with a fine. Granted there's no rule in place to cover this, thank goodness, but most leagues have similar "save face" policies. I guess it's up to DCI and the members to police themselves.

Oh man..another thread about this? :rock: