Judging gripes by corps directors

One other point: please read this carefully. No where is there ANY cut down of a judge. He is simply saying that all of a sudden they are getting beat up in some captions. He doesn't say the judge is stupid or call him unprofessional. He does ask the question about whether anyone can really believe that their guard is a point back, but again this is not a cut on any judge.

Are you joking?

Can I borrow your blinders? Mine are broken.

"We have suddenly been pounded in ensemble visual for the use of the benches --- not by all judges but by two, and the guard --- well, one person on two different days has seen it in his mind to put one point spreads between

the Cadets and the top? Does anyone think the Cadets guard is one point from the top? Not for 15 years? and I would venture to say, not this year."

Bolded parts are for emphasis.

I just don't know what to say. Its not even all that subtle.

Edited by geluf

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A blog IS a "public" forum if you place "controversial" statements on there even though you would think it's someone's private blog. I know it's supposed to be the "thoughts" of what an individual is thinking but to air it out for all to see isn't necessarily a good thing either.

Edited by announcerguydrew

This is nothing new. Last year he was complianing early in the season about the judges not giving Cadets credit for the show when he felt they deserved it. I think the judges were dead on at the time - their show was a mess at that point, and didn't deserve credit. They did deserve it later when they actually cleaned the show up and made necessary changes to improve the product. Once they did that, they received credit - and a tie for the record high score. I don't recall seeing Hoppy praise the judges when the judges gave Cadets credit when it was deserved - just whining when he didn't believe they were getting credit (e.g., were getting beat).

Totally agree with you. He was complaining about the judging in 2004 on his blog. You live by the sword and you die by the sword. Works both ways.

Sorry, Geluf, but you are wrong. I see your quotes, but again, where does he cut down a judge. Calling into question something is not cutting someone down. Asking a questions about his guard and the point spread is not a cut down or an attack. Maybe I can borrow your reading glasses so I can learn to read between the lines the way you do.

I'd *really* like to see a regularly updated blog by a corps' program coordinator, dealing with show design and performance issues starting at day one of the winter program.

That would be very cool. I would've loved to have heard what Zingali would say in his blog...it would've been nice if we had DVD's back then so he could give his commentary on his work...sigh

Stop looking for some conspiracy theory or some "he does it yet the others don't." A blog is NOT a public forum, it is a blog. They can be read by those who wish to go there, but he DID NOT post that topic on DCP or RAMD, and he did not try to publish it on the news or in DCW or DCI news.

This is complete and utter nonsense - to say a blog is not a public forum is like saying the New York Times is not a public forum because I choose not to read it. It's the Internet!!!! Open to the world! And if you think someone is not accountable for the things written on a blog, you are sorely mistaken.

Whether or not you agree with what Hopkins has written on his blog, you simply can't defend it by saying he wasn't writing it for public consumption - that's why people write blogs. If he didn't want others to read it, he would have written in a good old fashioned paper diary under lock and key. He links his blog to the YEA! website - there is simply no doubt he wishes to share it with the public.

And to say he didn't post it on DCP and thus, no one should talk about it here, is equally nonsensical. Again, that's like saying commentators on ESPN can't discuss comments made by Mark Cuban on his blog (to borrow the reference from the previous poster). Both are public figures and their public comments are subject to public discussion in any forum one may choose.

Either way, you're not doing Hopkins any favors by defending him with this line of argument. Better to defend his substantive comments if you agree with them. But the "blog is not a public forum" defense just ain't gonna fly.

Mark Cuban takes pressure off of his team by putting it on his own shoulders. He's a master at redirecting pressure.

By the way, Mark's blog is great.

I think Hopkins can and should talk about judges in his blog...but there's a right way and a wrong way. In this aprticular case, I don't see that he's done anything wrong. He's not calling them out, and he's not taking shots at thier credibility. He's simply mantioning that they don't "get" the show, and they aren't seeing it the way Hoppy himself sees it.

I've been a reader of Hop's blog since the beginning, and only once or twice did I feel he posted something he shouldn't have. Like him or not, and like Cadets program or not, I'd like to see more openness from other corps directors.

I'd *really* like to see a regularly updated blog by a corps' program coordinator, dealing with show design and performance issues starting at day one of the winter program.

Cuban does a lot of great things and I wouldn't mind it if he owned the Krockets, but I just have this feeling that his team follows his lead and therefore they get distracted by referees instead of playing ball.

Sorry, Geluf, but you are wrong. I see your quotes, but again, where does he cut down a judge. Calling into question something is not cutting someone down. Asking a questions about his guard and the point spread is not a cut down or an attack. Maybe I can borrow your reading glasses so I can learn to read between the lines the way you do.

I'd be happy to lend you a pair.

I'm sorry, but when you write things like that, and LINK to them from your orginization's web site, it becomes public. Then you slyly imply that you aren't getting the scores you think you SHOULD be getting, and while you don't say NAMES, you DO make it pretty easy to find out who you're talking about (come on, how much work does it take to find out who judged color guard and ensemble visual on the nights in question? Not much at all.), give me a break. There's only one possible conclusion.

Folks, I am sorry but turning this into something it is NOT is just another way for many of you to cause trouble, to cry foul. Gosh, GH is such a horrible person I can hardly believe it. Hey, if you don't like the guy, fine, and if you don't like the direction he is going in, fine, but this is just trying to paint the picture a completely different color, and I am not buying it.

Don't buy it. That's your choice.

But George created his blog for people to read. And he linked that blog to the main YEA site to reach as many people as he could. He knows exactly what he's doing. And there's a legitimate discussion to be had here about what is or isn't appropriate for a corps director to "put on the net," regardless of how or where it is put. Especially about the judging. Sure, there will be those who will just use this as an excuse to slam George because they don't like him, or his corps, or what he's done in DCI, or whatever. But I think this is a discussion that deserves to be talked about. If you don't, and you think we should all just ignore this as a case of someone just "thinking out loud," well that's just not going to happen. He put it online. He wants people to read it. And to react to it.

This is complete and utter nonsense - to say a blog is not a public forum is like saying the New York Times is not a public forum because I choose not to read it. It's the Internet!!!! Open to the world! And if you think someone is not accountable for the things written on a blog, you are sorely mistaken.

Funny, but his Blog is not the New York Times. And what part of it would you like to hold him accountable for? And what is the punishment for this so called horrible action that has created such outcry? No judge was insulted, the judging system was not insulted, he simply states that they are getting beat up in certain areas and then honestly questions why such a large point spread in guard.