passion of shostakovich part 2

it was a well performed show and this isn't the first time i've seen DCI shows copied by high school

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it's Valid. Phantom took material and arranged it for a drum corps. This high school took the same material and arranged it for an ensemble with different instrumentation. Do I agree with it? NO. But that high school does not have to ask anyones permission to do what they did. If it was original music that was written and copyrighted by someone on staff than they would. Public domain means anyone can use, play or adapt however they choose...and that was what they did.

Shastokovich's works are not under public domain according to the US Copyright Code; and it is debatable whether the arrangement is a copy. I would hope the band got the copyright clearances for the arrangements; especially with the video posted on the net. That would otherwise be asking for a lawsuit.

But that aside, remember that imitation is the severest form of flattery....

They weren't bad from an ensemble standpoint. Pretty good teaching going on there.

Shastokovich's works are not under public domain according to the US Copyright Code; and it is debatable whether the arrangement is a copy. I would hope the band got the copyright clearances for the arrangements; especially with the video posted on the net. That would otherwise be asking for a lawsuit.

Wow you are right. They were taken out of public domain in 1994. That is good info to know. I am sure that the band got permission to do the arrangements. Most marching band circuits now like BOA require you to show proof of copyright clearance in order to compete.

Hmmm.... I think I have heard on a similar thread that many marching bands ask corps for their book, including drill and music and sometimes their props. Once the corps is finished, I assumed they cold sell the show to marching bands to use. We could ask Phantom, but they are on tour and probably a little busy.

I thought they did a good job, is it drumcorp? Of course not, but for a band they did a good job.

So what if they copied Phantoms version. I as a former member take that as a compliment.

Oh and by the way my brother was a drum major for Phantom Cadets so I know how hard they work!

Edited by Phantombari1

I know that HS, it is not far from where I live. It was funny becuase me and a friend work with another HS band. I marched Glassmen 04 and he marched Phantome 04 and he is currently on tour with them. So we had a game against Donna (the school that ripped the show) and our kids did their show and it was Donnas turn since they were Home. As soon as me and my friend heard it we were schocked and not liking the idea too much. I mean yeah its a cool show and i give them props for performing it but its not original. They coppied it form Phantom 96, thats messed up. Im not bashing them but Im just saying.

My HS band director ripped off '88 Sky Ryders almost to the note, including the "note" props in the colorguard. Through the years I can remember ('92-present) my HS has played well known music that corps have played, but the arrangements weren't direct rips. Then, in '03, a new director took over...he doesn't rip complete shows, just various music and visual ideas. In '03, a 1950s rock show, cool music, but at the end they threw in the visual from the '02 Cavies where they put their horns on the ground and did that body movement. In '04, "GI Jive" with a '95 Cadets look throughout, but the kicker was an almost direct copy (size and look) of banner at the end of '92 Star. :worthy: