My ten favorite "Cadet" shows of all time

G, I have to agree with your list. I think just about every Cadets show between 83 and 02 had their moments that really pulled me into them.

Be they the ballads (02, 95, 96), the closers (89, 95, 91), the color guard (02), or just the hornline (put a year here). They put together fine packages that consistently placed them in the top 4.

Can we bring one of those years back?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post, G. Those are some good choices. I agree with many of them.

1. 1984 - Still perhaps in my mind the quintessential show for this activity (perhaps only BD 1988 or 1982 are better in this regard).

2. 1987 - Classy and full of emotion. Zingali's company front at the end was classic

3. 1990 - This is classic Cadets. Subtle, complex, stately, and demanding (with a hint of cute, and a reverse Z-pull to boot)

4. 1985 - Still one of the very best horn lines I have heard in the activity (close to Star 1992 and BD 1988)

5. 1995 - I just loved this show. Killer horns, fun production number (kind of a throw back to the concert number, even though everyone complained about it), and what a patriotic ending, complete with 8th and I rifle feature.

6. 2000 - Just amazing GE

7. 1988 - Count me as one of the few who like this version of Copland's 3rd Symphony, but this show was great, and a very tough musical book.

8. 1993 - In the Spring: At The Time When Kings Go Off To War is perhaps the most demanding show I have seen in terms of body movement, speed, and sheer notes. It is a bold, stately show with a goosebump ballad (It Is Well With My Soul). And holy cow, can the bass drums get any better than this?

9. 1992 - Imaginative, colorful, and energetic. The guard is just tremendous, and those outfits are classic. The moving airplane is a highlight.

10. 2001 - At quarterfinals they were nothing short of brilliant, and perhaps should have won the show that night. Horns, brass, guard, it was all there. The Farandole closer is one of the great show endings for the Cadets.

I do like 1998 a lot. Not really sure where I would put them, but perhaps at 11 or 12. The integration of 1998 is super, but for me, a horn guy, I guess they had just enough problems on finals night that I discount it to some extent. Still a great show, and that Guard. WOW!

I agree with you also that in 1983 the old method of drum corps died. Garfield changed everything during that summer, and the next, and the next. Others did not have to follow, but they chose to because they wanted to keep up. I greatly respected corps like BD and Phantom and Cavaliers who kept their identity for the most part during that time. BD had some down years (for their standards) from 87 to 93, although all of those shows are great and some of my favorite, but they found their own unique twist come 1994, and have revamped it since. Cavaliers were much more geometric than linear and curvilinear like the Cadets. Phantom retained their distinctive classical style, and even SCV found their own twist with the theatrical productions of the mid to late 1980s. SCV did however go full bore with the Garfield style drill as most corps did.

It is interesting to me that two of those corps that I mentioned, who did not necessarily follow Garfield, would go on to win 6 more titles a piece. Of course Garfield would go on to win 6 more as well after their 3-peat. When you watch those 3 today, they are still very distinctive and have found much success from their unique ways. I always thought that when many of the old drill designers were trying to copy Zingali in the early 80s, that they really didn't know what they were getting into, or how to do it. Things were just so experimental, which is fine, but it seemed like many corps lost their identity.

1. 1984 - Still perhaps in my mind the quintessential show for this activity (perhaps only BD 1988 or 1982 are better in this regard).

2. 1987 - Classy and full of emotion. Zingali's company front at the end was classic

3. 1990 - This is classic Cadets. Subtle, complex, stately, and demanding (with a hint of cute, and a reverse Z-pull to boot)

4. 1985 - Still one of the very best horn lines I have heard in the activity (close to Star 1992 and BD 1988)

5. 1995 - I just loved this show. Killer horns, fun production number (kind of a throw back to the concert number, even though everyone complained about it), and what a patriotic ending, complete with 8th and I rifle feature.

6. 2000 - Just amazing GE

7. 1988 - Count me as one of the few who like this version of Copland's 3rd Symphony, but this show was great, and a very tough musical book.

8. 1993 - In the Spring: At The Time When Kings Go Off To War is perhaps the most demanding show I have seen in terms of body movement, speed, and sheer notes. It is a bold, stately show with a goosebump ballad (It Is Well With My Soul). And holy cow, can the bass drums get any better than this?

9. 1992 - Imaginative, colorful, and energetic. The guard is just tremendous, and those outfits are classic. The moving airplane is a highlight.

10. 2001 - At quarterfinals they were nothing short of brilliant, and perhaps should have won the show that night. Horns, brass, guard, it was all there. The Farandole closer is one of the great show endings for the Cadets.

I do like 1998 a lot. Not really sure where I would put them, but perhaps at 11 or 12. The integration of 1998 is super, but for me, a horn guy, I guess they had just enough problems on finals night that I discount it to some extent. Still a great show, and that Guard. WOW!

I agree with you also that in 1983 the old method of drum corps died. Garfield changed everything during that summer, and the next, and the next. Others did not have to follow, but they chose to because they wanted to keep up. I greatly respected corps like BD and Phantom and Cavaliers who kept their identity for the most part during that time. BD had some down years (for their standards) from 87 to 93, although all of those shows are great and some of my favorite, but they found their own unique twist come 1994, and have revamped it since. Cavaliers were much more geometric than linear and curvilinear like the Cadets. Phantom retained their distinctive classical style, and even SCV found their own twist with the theatrical productions of the mid to late 1980s. SCV did however go full bore with the Garfield style drill as most corps did.

It is interesting to me that two of those corps that I mentioned, who did not necessarily follow Garfield, would go on to win 6 more titles a piece. Of course Garfield would go on to win 6 more as well after their 3-peat. When you watch those 3 today, they are still very distinctive and have found much success from their unique ways. I always thought that when many of the old drill designers were trying to copy Zingali in the early 80s, that they really didn't know what they were getting into, or how to do it. Things were just so experimental, which is fine, but it seemed like many corps lost their identity.

Fantastic post.

Not sure if I can put them all into order but here are some of my favourite Cadets shows....

1987 - Appalachian

1992 - To tame the Perilous Skies

1993 - When Kings go off to war

1995 - An American Quintet

2002 - An American Revival

2005 - The Zone

2006 - The Zone Part 2

Can't put them in any order but chronological:

I'm not as familiar with the shows between '93 and '99, inclusive; I have recordings of all of them, but never got to see them live, so they don't have the same long-lasting effect as some of these other shows (not that I got to see '83 through '89 live, either, but... ah, the '80s...). I'd be happy to hear any of their '80s shows come on the radio, though.

Jonathan, your list reminds me of the flawes in mine. If done over, 1985, 1995, and 2001 will definetly contend for the top ten, but what gets dropped ?? :P I used to be so critical of 1995, but in retrospect, its classic and full of innovation and imagination. They effectively told a story with their brass, percussion, and colorguard. I am in love with that show now.

Your take on Zingali and trying to play catch up !! So true, Remember 1985 Blue Devils drill ?? Unlike anything they ever did before and so influenced by Zingalis style. 1985 was th year of three things I rememebr clearly. 1) The "Solo dancer" 2) The quiet second number, and 3) All drills starting to look the same. When I look back at the high camera vids, I am also shocked at the lack of executiuon in ALL of the corps visually. Its like they said "we must attempt new drill patterns to **** with execution", or nobody knew how to tech these types of drills yet, except Zingali and Co.

~G~

ps. I also loved 1988, especially those snake-y blue and green things the guard used ! we used to call it 1987part II LOL

Edited by GMichael1230

Not sure if I can put them all into order but here are some of my favourite Cadets shows....

1987 - Appalachian

1992 - To tame the Perilous Skies

1993 - When Kings go off to war

1995 - An American Quintet

2002 - An American Revival

2005 - The Zone

2006 - The Zone Part 2

2007 - The Zone Part 3

2008 - The Zone Part 4

:spit:

See, it's because there can be a topic by this and how we can look back simply in amazement over how masterful these 25+ productions were that I'm so disappointed that the Cadets show this year, in my opinion, is nothing short of just plain terrible. I think that's what I'm so vocal (<_<) about this issue.

In somewhat of an order top to bottom (not a firm order except for the top two)