Cadets Guard Clip from the Ballad

So true, that's why, imo, the moving parts are so important. Someone said it was nothing but a chord progression; I guess they didn't hear the mello and bari stuff which was really cool.

I like the guard stuff, but the fact that the guard is making that line has the brass all boxed in. The brass can't cover much of the field, which, imo, is making the drill a little boring. Of course ballad drill doesn't usually fly, but it needs something with the music being pretty simple.

I think the singing is distracting, but at least it isn't as out of tune as it was earlier in the season (this is all based off recordings though). It may just be the recording but it sounds like the hornline is holding back in the volume dept. Could this be due to balance issues with the singer? If so I really just wish they'd let the brass loose and blow some faces off because the music is really good. Also, I think the last note that the singer holds out after the brass stop playing (not in video) would sound better done by a mello.

I look foward to seeing it in Dallas, but I doubt I'll have anything other than mixed feelings afterwards.

I totally agree with you, lbjazz. The question is why are so many people upset about it? It's one show for pete's sake. Don't let this show divide the drum corp community. If you don't like it, please support another corp and help them win a championships. If you do like it, great. What difference does it make what that other don't? I myself, tend to like the controversy. It's exciting.

Edited by QuentinTarantino

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. My. Goodness.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Honestly, I don't know whether to cry, or just stand in awe, or what... but that is beautiful. Where do Cadets get these ballads? Last year, the ballad was DEFINITELY the high point, and this year, I can't imagine anything (except maybe Ave...) topping that.

Beautiful. I'm still not rootiing for 'em, but that was amazing. The singing, I no longer mind. Do any of you "Cadet Borg" want a hug? :)

Oh. My. Goodness.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Honestly, I don't know whether to cry, or just stand in awe, or what... but that is beautiful. Where do Cadets get these ballads? Last year, the ballad was DEFINITELY the high point, and this year, I can't imagine anything (except maybe Ave...) topping that.

Beautiful. I'm still not rootiing for 'em, but that was amazing. The singing, I no longer mind. Do any of you "Cadet Borg" want a hug? :)

My only gripe with this year's balad is the lack of the HUGE drumline push. But hey, got to have variety.

So true, that's why, imo, the moving parts are so important. Someone said it was nothing but a chord progression; I guess they didn't hear the mello and bari stuff which was really cool.

Not necessarily. A chord progression was all the ending of Lord's Prayer was (Phantom 03), and that is one of the high points of the show for me. Very, very emotional, like this clip. Only LP was joyful, this is sad, yet hopeful, IMO.

yes!!! very much agreed

I'm not so sure I agree anymore. I DONT want this to be a normal thing, but this, as an exception, is amazing. I'm listening to the video, over and over, as I type this! :worthy:

My biggest problem with this ballad has been that its really just a chord progression.

The singer isn't singing a melody, she's just part of the chord.

Its a PRETTY chord progression...but thats all it is. There's no melodic content.

The mix seems off here too...like its not blending well. But I can probably blame the recorder for that.

The vocal lines are very melodic. As with any melody, there are parts that fit within the chord progression, but if you listen carefully there are plenty of non-chord tones and nuances. Additionally, there is a definite flow and direction to the vocal line. I think what throws people off is that it sounds very spiritual and improvisatory. That does not mean the content is not melodic.

Edited by badmatchespartdos

I agree with the original premise - the guard work / staging is unbelievably good in this number. I can't keep my eyes off the progression from left to right during the number - with her being lifted "flying" from platform to platform a different way each time. The paired sabre-dancer work is fantastic - an absolute masterpiece in terms of the writing. I know I sound like a broken record but I love it.

The brass / vocal mixing has been an issue - the last time I heard it (in Elizabeth, PA) they had it perfect - not sure if that was luck or they've "fixed" it. When the blend is good the effect is VERY powerful - the sound of her voice playing off the brass line - its like another voice in the brass choir the way they have it written. When I first heard it I couldn't picture it this effective (I thought they could just as easily use a solo on a mellophone to play her part) - but now that I've heard it live several times the horn sound against the texture of her voice is extremely compelling.

I haven't seen all the shows on the field this year - but other than a few moments in PR show and in the G-men production the Cadets ballad is my "wow" moment so far for 2006