Cadets Guard Clip from the Ballad

I didn't even notice the guard work at first... the music was too impressive. :worthy:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh brother - thread after thread after thread - no matter the topic - the anti-Cadets talk about amps, singing, whatever other than the topic at hand.

The ballad is extremely well put together - a design masterpiece. The guard work is unbelievable.

Actually - not thread after thread anymore - anyone notice that a lot of threads that were not complimentary to amps, Cadets etc have disappeared?

I am not trying to be anti anything; but you CANNOT tell me that the staff of Cadets did NOT think that there would not be any distraction by adding a controversial element to that segment of the show. Even drum corps does not operate in a vaccum.

And also note that I DID NOT say anything negative...or positive...about A & E in this post. And I am NOT anti...or pro...Cadets (although I have loved many of their shows; and may love this one...). The post is purely about the usage of elements in the segment of the show. Do not turn competitve criticism into the PC hate definition <**>

Edited by prodigal bari

I am not trying to be anti anything; but you CANNOT tell me that the staff of Cadets did NOT think that there would not be any distraction by adding a controversial element to that segment of the show. Even drum corps does not operate in a vaccum.

And also note that I DID NOT say anything negative...or positive...about A & E in this post. And I am NOT anti...or pro...Cadets (although I have loved many of their shows; and may love this one...). The post is purely about the usage of elements in the segment of the show. Do not turn competitve criticism into the PC hate definition <**>

If it's a distraction then it should have nothing to do with the fact it's controversial. If the fact that it is controversial is the reason that people are distracted then they aren't opening their minds to the production. They are only focusing on what they have already predetermined in their head to BE controversial.

If it's a distraction then it should have nothing to do with the fact it's controversial. If the fact that it is controversial is the reason that people are distracted then they aren't opening their minds to the production. They are only focusing on what they have already predetermined in their head to BE controversial.

Isn't it the performers' responsibility (along with a good design) to invite an open response to the performance? And with time; if things are refined as to eliminate technical problems with amps, these distractions will no longer be a factor. But as it stands, Cadets took a huge risk; which did pay off last year. With risks, come potential alienation as well as reward. That is just life.

I know this is not about the guard performance, but it is a critical element which I restate distracts from the focus of the design.

Edited by prodigal bari

Isn't it the performers' responsibility (along with a good design) to invite an open response to the performance? And with time; if things are refined as to eliminate technical problems with amps, these distractions will no longer be a factor. But as it stands, Cadets took a huge risk; which did pay off last year. With risks, come potential alienation as well as reward. That is just life.

I know this is not about the guard performance, but it is a critical element which I restate distracts from the focus of the design.

I respectfully disagree that it distracts from the focus of the design. Hopefully the judges will as well

I respectfully disagree that it distracts from the focus of the design. Hopefully the judges will as well

The only point of reference I have, and I hate to have to keep going back to it, is Devils last year. It was an extreme distraction, at least for me, but I had the same comment from many others. I agree that if the guard is being featured, then other elements should complement the moment, not fight for attention. Again, in a bit of a vacuum here as I didn't see the clip before it was pulled, but speaking in general design terms only.

I still don't see how voice distracts you from seeing a visual feature. I can understand how it might distract you from the brass, but not the colorguard.

Well, in my case because I will admit to an entrenched prejudice against amped voice, I'd be looking to the heavens and saying "WHY?......WHY?" :P