Cadets Guard Clip from the Ballad

That IS the point....see how much the vocals (whether brilliant or bas###dized) distracts from the performance? I have to believe that Cadet designers' insistence on sticking with this controversial element may cost them a championship. And that would be a shame for the performers....IMHO.

With all respect, I didn't find the vocals distracting at all, visually(watching the vocalist) or musically. In fact my attention was drawn to the guard work throughout the piece, watching Alice walk across the benches, etc.

I have no idea how this "controversial" element will affect the scoring of The Cadets. All I know is that it was a very beautiful drum corps moment.

Edited by badmatchespartdos

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That IS the point....see how much the vocals (whether brilliant or bas###dized) distracts from the performance? I have to believe that Cadet designers' insistence on sticking with this controversial element may cost them a championship. And that would be a shame for the performers....IMHO.

that may be YOUR point - but that's not the point of THIS thread. See how many other threads are talking about amps? Go talk about the vocals in one of those - the topic here is Cadet's guard staging

that may be YOUR point - but that's not the point of THIS thread. See how many other threads are talking about amps? Go talk about the vocals in one of those - the topic here is Cadet's guard staging

YES; it is the point! If you want the guard to be noticed as a feature element; you try to put into the background other elements that may distract from the focus. This is a design fault that should be addressed, whether you like it or not. The design team should have taken into consideration the controversy (and I am staying on the sidelines on THAT arguement...for this conversation) that the vocal causes in this segment. If the Cadets have a fault in design it is that they have so many things going on that it is at times impossible to take it all in unless you are reviewing it on video. And we all know that DC is best when it is served up live...

YES; it is the point! If you want the guard to be noticed as a feature element; you try to put into the background other elements that may distract from the focus. This is a design fault that should be addressed, whether you like it or not. The design team should have taken into consideration the controversy (and I am staying on the sidelines on THAT arguement...for this conversation) that the vocal causes in this segment. If the Cadets have a fault in design it is that they have so many things going on that it is at times impossible to take it all in unless you are reviewing it on video. And we all know that DC is best when it is served up live...

:worthy::worthy::worthy::blink::blink:

oh brother - thread after thread after thread - no matter the topic - the anti-Cadets talk about amps, singing, whatever other than the topic at hand.

The ballad is extremely well put together - a design masterpiece. The guard work is unbelievable.

So whenever we have a guard feature the brass and drums should stop playing. Got it.

I'm going to have to disagree. If you will, recall last year's Cadet's ballad. The obvious featured element during it was the chess match done by the color guard and percussion. Well, this year is similar. The obvious featured element is the guard work on the benches. There are no visual distractions. The corps is marching slow-paced drill that does not conflict with the guard work. I fail to see how it is a design flaw.

The bottom line is that it is music being performed. I highly doubt that hearing a voice singing throws your sense of sight out of whack so that you cannot appreciate the obvious featured visual element. Give me a break.

I'm going to have to disagree. If you will, recall last year's Cadet's ballad. The obvious featured element during it was the chess match done by the color guard and percussion. Well, this year is similar. The obvious featured element is the guard work on the benches. There are no visual distractions. The corps is marching slow-paced drill that does not conflict with the guard work. I fail to see how it is a design flaw.

The bottom line is that it is music being performed. I highly doubt that hearing a voice singing throws your sense of sight out of whack so that you cannot appreciate the obvious featured visual element. Give me a break.

But... it's coming out of an amp! It's different!

They didn't have it in the 80s, it's not drum corps!

I've got it! Amplification somehow disturbs the brainwaves of the less intelligent! When sound is coming out of an amp their visual abilities are greatly hindered and they are unable to concentrate on anything else :P

Edited by dbc03