Rebirth of the Smaller Corps?

Back when I marched in the 70s and 80s there were so many smaller corps they had their own DC circuit (RCA and ICA). Then in the 90s things got really rocky as there were only 13 to 15 corps at Prelims. And almost all of them were the "same old" corps you saw every year (Cabs, Buccs, etc).

Last year 26 corps showed up to compete at Prelims and this year looks about the same. A lot of last years corps were Class A and new. So what the heck happened that a lot of smaller corps were created in the last ten or so years? Or in Govies case, that they started coming to DCA weekend?

And might there be a connection between this and growth in the Mini and Alumni movements?

Annnnnnd... any thoughts on what the next few years might bring.

Now this is the type of DC evolution I like :beer:

Back when I marched in the 70s and 80s there were so many smaller corps they had their own DC circuit (RCA and ICA). Then in the 90s things got really rocky as there were only 13 to 15 corps at Prelims. And almost all of them were the "same old" corps you saw every year (Cabs, Buccs, etc).

People got tired of seeing the "same old" corps year after year and decided to get off the sidelines and get into the game.

Some very good people with a vision for this activity formed corps outside the circuit and made a go of it.

Expansion is good. :)

the fact that DCA is growing coast to coast is the one thing that gave me hope drum corps won't die. junior corps may be shrinking, but we've doubled in 4 +years

IMO, playing in the band/corps gave people some of their fondest memories and many people (including myself) now realize that they can continue to pursue this beloved "hobby" beyond their school/corps years. It took me 20 years to find out that there was an "all-age" corps in Houston and I thought my career as a person who loved marching band/corps was over with college. It is also an escape for the stresses of life in general. Remember...we do this because we love to do it.

Playing lots of non-traditional gigs, but also crossing over to indoor shows, DCA contest exhibitions, mini-corps competition, etc.

Non-traditional gigs sounds like a great thing. Playing to people other than fellow DC fans and parade crowds gets the word out about corps. As Seniors, oops All Age gets more spread out it's also a way to perform and get some $$$ to pay the bills.

Most "outside" we did last year was doing a standstill at a local (Gettysburg) band concert. Lot of the band folks knew abour DCI but didn't know there was a corps they could join in their own backyard.

Biggest reason for this growth is quite simple, the creation of DCA Class A. While it's not always about winning, it is very rewarding to be competitive.

Using Governaires as an example. If Govies were to come to DCA in 1995. Chances are, the Govies would've known coming in that they probably would be traveling all that way to lead off the Prelims show at 10:00 AM Saturday morning and more than likely, be finished with their competitive duties 12 minutes later. Sure, it would be rewarding to perform for new fans, but chances of a finalist birth probably would've been slim.

Now with Class A, they get the opportunity to perform against corps their size and a chance at a title. Not that the Governaires are only in it to win, I would expect otherwise based on how entertaining they are each year and I can't speak for a group I am not involved with, but it is nice to know that there is a chance at a 2nd show and a title.

Class A have given corps from any area of the country a chance to compete for a title, and compete in front of a rapidly growing fan base every year. While the stands were not packed when Lakeshoremen opened the show last year, they gained about 1000 or so new fans who were there to see them. It levels the playing field for the smaller corps.

Biggest reason for this growth is quite simple, the creation of DCA Class A. While it's not always about winning, it is very rewarding to be competitive.

Using Governaires as an example. If Govies were to come to DCA in 1995. Chances are, the Govies would've known coming in that they probably would be traveling all that way to lead off the Prelims show at 10:00 AM Saturday morning and more than likely, be finished with their competitive duties 12 minutes later. Sure, it would be rewarding to perform for new fans, but chances of a finalist birth probably would've been slim.

Now with Class A, they get the opportunity to perform against corps their size and a chance at a title. Not that the Governaires are only in it to win, I would expect otherwise based on how entertaining they are each year and I can't speak for a group I am not involved with, but it is nice to know that there is a chance at a 2nd show and a title.

Class A have given corps from any area of the country a chance to compete for a title, and compete in front of a rapidly growing fan base every year. While the stands were not packed when Lakeshoremen opened the show last year, they gained about 1000 or so new fans who were there to see them. It levels the playing field for the smaller corps.

:rock:

I couldn't agree with you more Adam! As someone who has been aquainted with the Govies and competed with them for years, the expansion of Class A was absolutely perfect for the smaller DCA type corps that might never get a chance to compete against corps their own size, and to be seen by new fans.

When they started Class A, I'll admit it seemed that it was an outlet for long-standing corps to compete, even though they might down on numbers and finances. I don't think they had the response in mind we see today.

I started telling both John (Govies) and Mike (Chops) Mayer that THIS was the avenue they were looking for, and to try and find a way to look ahead to giving this a shot. Seeing how crowds responded to the Chieftains and the first couple of CorpsVets groups that came in, the "fun" oriented corps from Minnesota couldn't lose. It took awhile, but I guess those ideas came to fruition for both the Mayer boys.

When Lakeshoremen came to DeKalb last year, I was gassed! A virtually new corps, making a big investment in time and money to trek to the corn fields, made me proud to be a real drum corps fan. With Music City Legend and Frontier coming here to MBI and Govies shows in August, this almost brings back the RCA and ICA circuits back to life, with growth potential I don't think they ever expected.

Add the other southern corps and the Left Coast contingent, I can only say:

IS THIS A GREAT ACTIVITY OR WHAT? ^OO^

Pat

As a former smaller corps member I can appreciate the Class A movement. I played in a smaller Sr corps from the age of 13 to 18. We were never quite good enough to make finals (I believe DCA started in 65 or 66)- our best was 13th in '68 (when they were taking 12 corps for finals), and we folded just prior to the inception of RCA. Judging inconsistencies abounded with little standardization of rules, etc.

My thoughts exactly on Class A but didn't want to steer the thread when I started it.

My experiences in 1974 and 1975 were: practice all day Saturday, 1 or 2 run thrus Sunday morning, do Prelims, get changed to watch Finals. Only difference between mid 70s and 1995 is the "lesser corps" went on after the big guns to give the Finals corps a chance to rest up and the audience to go get supper. (Back in the days of one day Prelims/Finals).

Think biggest reason most of the smaller corps went to DCA back then was to try for Associate membership (position 11-14) to get some DCA show invites (for better $$$).