Hi Jeff,

I understand your points. My apologies for missing your name the first time.

Happy to hear about the lack of wrath. :P

I don't know who Simon Cowell is.

I never said "honest truth". I said "honest opinion".

I never said "sugar-coat" in my original review, and did say "un-candy-coated" in my followup.

Just like Charles Barkley said many years ago, I am not a role model, no matter how much weight anyone may or may not attribute to my words. I'm just a guy who spent a long time in the trenches who is now enjoying my time away immensely.

Oh yes, I am the world's nicest guy! :P

What I find mildly interesting is the attention the Crossmen review has generated, yet I was far more "direct" in my assessment of the Seattle Cascades, and received no such reaction -- nor did anyone imply that I have an agenda because of any former involvement with them (I have none). Does anyone else find that just a tad odd?

Finally, I have no crystal ball -- maybe they'll make it. My experience does not make me believe that statement in actual fact, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll be the first one to say it should it happen. Because, from beginning to end, I have nothing emotionally wrapped up in their placement. They are just one of many drum corps, one I've already spent far too much time talking about. So, I'll resist the urge to further qualify my opinions, which I did only out of courtesy.

I look forward to reading other critical (the real meaning of critical) reviews of the remaining shows.

My best to you, Jeff. May we both find what we enjoy in drum corps, and elsewhere!

Chuck Naffier

PS: I choose to refrain from further comment, not out of rudeness or smugness, but because I simply cannot afford to spend any more time on what was, afterall, just my reaction to a single evening of drum corps -- a mere blip on the radar compared to my "real" life, which calls me back even now. Best to all!

Chuck,

You can call me Jeff if you want...(my name is in my sig, like yours).

Wrath? There's no wrath here... :wink:

I understand that you were "calling it like you see it". Simon Cowell does the same thing. Simon Cowell is an ###, in my opinion. Anytime someone says "I don't sugar-coat my opinions" means they're probably about to say something rude. Please don't take this as me trying to insult you in any way. I am just offering my opinion of the "honest truth" mentality. You SHOULD be honest, of course! But, I believe there are nicer ways of expressing that honesty.

I can't believe I'm arguing for reviews to be more "PC"...

It's not WHAT you said, but HOW you said it. Your statement about the Crossmen not making finals was said in a way as if it was solid fact, and unavoidable. And, your past involvement in the activity may lead some to believe, "Well, he used to arrange for them, so he MUST be right!.." Just look at the number of people that jumped in here to say how great your review was. I'm not saying it wasn't a great review, but the fact that all these people came in and commented on it...You yourself were surprised by this. It's the "celebrity factor". Yes, I know you are not really a "celebrity" per se, but you are a very well-known arranger, and for many on this board (unfortunately), you word carries more weight than others. I'm not saying your experience means nothing, either....it most certainly does....but, anything can happen, and the season is not over yet. (and I DO realize there is not much time left.)

All that being said, you have every right to post your opinions as you see fit, and you shouldn't have to "censor" yourself just because many on this board may lose hope for the Crossmen's chances to make finals after reading your review. I'm not a huge Crossmen fan. In fact, I am a pretty vocal representative of the "anti-amped voice in drumcorps" movement (if you wanna call it that...lol). Heck, just look at the pic in my sig...(never took the time to change it to "Amped vocals"). I have only seen the show on youtube.com, and I liked it okay, but this is not a case of a "huge Crossmen fan" trying to defend his favorite corps. I like the Crossmen, and always have. My only reason for posting was to just express my opinion that your statement could be interpreted as being a bit rude.

But, in the end Chuck, it doesn't really matter. Do what you want to do. People obviously enjoy your reviews (I did as well), and it's a free country. I hate to seem like I'm all worked up over this, because I'm not. I don't know you personally. As far as I'm concerned, you're the nicest guy in the world, because I have no idea. I was just trying to offer a suggestion to maybe take a little bit softer approach to criticism (unless you're talking about the Cadet's show, lol ^0^ ). Okay, I have to get a life...This isn't really important at all... :sos:

Okay, take everything that I said above, and multiply it about ten times. "off-the-shelf highschool-band show"? (that's a lot of hyphens, lol) Don't be so rude. People are going to put you on their "ignored users" list if you keep this sort of thing up. <**>

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the shows in Denver - it will be great to see these and all the others in Madison.

I'll take my prozac before I post again -- I just re-read it and I sounded pretty crotchety, didn't I ?

Your review was pretty good.

I was there with even better seats than yours (unless you were in the upstairs judging box - we kept getting distracted by their loudness while taping their comments..), and can comply with most of your opinions.

Yes, the judges did get the order right - I didn't like the gaps though, and that's what the judges who didn't see the head-to-head will use against the 2nd 4th and 6th Corps when they all get to san antone.

Cavies smoked it, but there were some harsh moments in drill, sound and guard.

Cadets are ~good but have a really stupid show.

Vanguard is in a race against time to clean, as usual, but may just make it.

Blue Knights carry their tradition of intricate boringness to new "heights".

Crossmen are kinda almost ~good but have a really, really (really) stupid show.

Blue Stars are _way_ too good for their off-the-shelf highschool-band show. Turn off the mics and let actions speak louder than words.

Cascades are loud and proud. There's plenty more to clean, and I think they're the only one of the bunch that will actually acheive their full potential come Madison.

All-in-all I was a little depressed for the activity after this show. I'll be in Madison and will probably report more simmilar cynical carping...

I guess I'll have to join you in the "cynical carping" section at Camp Randall Stadium, because I find myself mostly agreeing with your comments. A few thoughts:

Cadets - I half think this is Hopkin's way of seeing how much he can get away with... rather than creatively pushing the envelope. (You liked ladders? I'll do ya one better!) My buddy said, "Is this like 'The Producers' - a show designed to be bad; but it's so bad, it's good (by judges standards)?"

Blue Knights - Every year I hear how great BK is, and every year I am bored to tears with their show. But to their credit, they have found the magic formula for a top 12 finish every year - so why mess with it (no matter what the audience must endure). I salute their consistant achievement.

Crossmen - I can't believe anybody looked at that show concept last December and said, "Yep - that's going to put us back in the top 12!" Aren't they able to share creative resources with Cadets through YEA? Or are the two corps kept very seperate? There will be a lot of angry Crossmen fans once again come August.

Blue Stars - Agree! From other's reports, I expected a much more integrated program. But it's still pretty good for first year back in Div 1.

Maybe I'm getting older, or just need an attitude adjustment - but I find very, very few corps this year that I want to see more than once. Maybe things will get a little more entertaining in San Antonio.

Your review was pretty good.

I was there with even better seats than yours (unless you were in the upstairs judging box - we kept getting distracted by their loudness while taping their comments..), and can comply with most of your opinions.

Yes, the judges did get the order right - I didn't like the gaps though, and that's what the judges who didn't see the head-to-head will use against the 2nd 4th and 6th Corps when they all get to san antone.

Cavies smoked it, but there were some harsh moments in drill, sound and guard.

Cadets are ~good but have a really stupid show.

Vanguard is in a race against time to clean, as usual, but may just make it.

Blue Knights carry their tradition of intricate boringness to new "heights".

Crossmen are kinda almost ~good but have a really, really (really) stupid show.

Blue Stars are _way_ too good for their off-the-shelf highschool-band show. Turn off the mics and let actions speak louder than words.

Cascades are loud and proud. There's plenty more to clean, and I think they're the only one of the bunch that will actually acheive their full potential come Madison.

All-in-all I was a little depressed for the activity after this show. I'll be in Madison and will probably report more simmilar cynical carping...

You really think the Cascades can reach their full potential? What do you think their potential is?

Did you enjoy their show? Care to expand? It's just nice to see a "positive" review of their show. I know it's a rough one, but I wish them luck!

Thanks!

Great review -- thank you!

I haven't seen several or the corps so I like it when people say what they really think -- just like you would tell your old drum corps buddies over a cold one after a show. (My first smiley ever:) :grouphug:

And I also liked the second candid review mixed in the replies. Simple and straight to the point.

Keep 'em coming ! Thanks.

Chuck,

Being in a similar situation as you are..... of being a fan, with a smattering of some previous background in the activity.

Your review made me feel as if I was there. (I could hear the inflection of your voice as I read it.)

Also, your candor and detailed review of design elements along with the projection of each corps performance prowess and potential for the remainder of the season seemed firmly grounded, (only time will tell for it to be proven to be right on.)

Thanks for some good reading on a hot, NJ evening.

Now it is time for Yankees pregame some cool beverages

Take care,

L

SNModdison :

I think the Cascades are un-pretentious and focused at the ability level of their members and staff.

They will reach their full potential because their target is reachable.

This is the true mark of a successfull Corps planning cycle.

Chuck,

Being in a similar situation as you are..... of being a fan, with a smattering of some previous background in the activity.

Your review made me feel as if I was there. (I could hear the inflection of your voice as I read it.)

Also, your candor and detailed review of design elements along with the projection of each corps performance prowess and potential for the remainder of the season seemed firmly grounded, (only time will tell for it to be proven to be right on.)

Thanks for some good reading on a hot, NJ evening.

Now it is time for Yankees pregame some cool beverages

Take care,

L

The Mariners were robbed tonight. That bad call at first during the bottom of the ninth changed the outcome of the game. It was stone cold obvious he was OUT!

I was disgusted.

Now back to our regular programming.............................

after replay you are rght. but in real time it was really close and umpire error is part of the game. way to go melky for becoming the youngest player ever to hit a walk off HR. GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!! ironically im from washington and cant stand the mariners haha