How are the corps doing in the heat

Revo had a performance for the Red River Guard and Percussion camp Saturday near Ardmore in Okla. It was vicious. But they survived. Black unforms + 103 degrees + humidity = rough time.

I about died just watching from the shade.... :P

But they all got to swim in Lake Murray afterwards.

It's hard to get those Revo folks down when it comes to heat. They spend their "all-days" in the middle of San Antonio (#### on earth when it comes to heat and humidity). They seem to handle those situations alot more easily than most. I remember the look on the faces of members from other corps at the San Antonio show last year. Looked like the lot was a giant oven for them. Then there was Revo, handling the heat like it was one of the cooler days they've had.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

High is 106 in DFW today. Yikes.

Thankfully, the forecast calls for it to "cool off" to 99 by Thursday's show! :P I remember when we practiced in Wichita Falls in 92, my parents came out to watch the rehearsal-- for about 30 minutes. It was all they could stand of the 100+ heat & humidity.

(I was hoping to mow our lawn this afternoon-- think that'll have to wait...)

Edited by year1buick

I would venture to say that the heat is a contributing factor to them not performing as well. I can't imagine, I was discussing this with my hubby the other night when I saw it on the news. Wondering how the kids and adults were making it through this heat wave.

I just hope staff is being smart about it all..it can be serious and dangerous if not properly taken care of.

There was a time when heat didn't bother me but I must be getting old....after about 20 minutes in the Michigan sun at the Battle Creek show, I retreated to the relative cool of the concession area. Sorry to have missed a couple of the early corps but the temperatures and bright sunlight were brutal in those stands. At least on the field there was some breeze.

I remember attending my first show at the Championships in Birmingham in 1979, when prelims began about 9:00am and lasted until 3:00 - 4:00 in the afternoon (there were far more corps than today). The heat was intense (as it tends to be in Alabama in August) and it became something of a running bet in the crowd to see how many corps members would go down after each performance. Most units lost at least a couple of members.

From what I remember when marching the heat does not bother you when you are used to being out in day in and day out for the whole summer. I can remember doing stadium days on the old astroturf that would get up to 120 degrees most days in the summer. I know I could not do it now since I am spoiled and used to spending most of my summers inside unless I want to be outside. Kind of that whole adapting to your environment thing in nature I would say.

well, the colts are in my hometown today. (lawrence, KS)

it's 100 here. heat index is 113. we're under a heat advisory until almost 8 tonight.

I just got home after being downtown for a bit, and let me say that just WALKING outside I was dripping w/sweat.

no doubt, it's hot out.

I drove by the colts rehearsal site, and they're all (minus the pit I think) under trees and such.

it's still WAY hot even in shade. :mellow:

yeah, they were mostly in the shade today. which helps, but it's still pretty bad.

I'm thinking of going to their night rehearsal (in the KU stadium) since it will be cooler out.