All the singing /Narration folks

The more I read, the worse it gets. I'm not so sure what us drum corps purists are supposed to do. This same controversy has been going on and on and on. Are we stuck with all these new ummmm, ummmm "elements"? We not only have amps and narration, but now we even have picnic tables. Too bad Hop won't let us use them during intermissions. Will the day come when a hornline is going to let loose for a change and blast me 5 rows back? Will we ever see marching again as opposed to what is referred to as dancing??? I already know the answers....maybe I was just setting myself up for the inevitable.

A) There are lots of corps without narration or amplified voice this year

B) Props have been used for years and you act like they came after amplification

C) Plenty of hornlines still let loose

D) Umm? What? Corps are dancing instead of marching? I've got to see this!

Edited by dbc03

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure we have. The problem is, it's not the answer you're looking for. SCV '89 was a great show without amps. Bluecoats '06 is also a great show without amps. Adding amps won't automatcially make a show better, but no one ever said they would.

I am not looking for a specific answer.......What the H.... good are they for? your answer is "adding amps won't make a show better.....

Again, what has there been gained.......

your answer is "adding amps won't make a show better.....

I said "automatically", an important word which you omitted. Like all elements of a show, it depends on how amped vocals are used as to whether they make a show better or not. IMO, when used correctly they do have that effect. SCV '89 was a great show, I can't convince you that amped voice would have made it better because it probably wouldn't. But that doesn't mean amped voice didn't make Bluecoats 2005 a better show.

Edited by Maedhros

Exactly. It completely depends on the show. Like anything else, it can be done poorly or done well, but it depends entirely upon the individual show whether or not it fits. I don't always like amps and vocals and such, but I can think of a few place in SCV '89 show where a strategically placed vocal might have worked.

I can think of a few place in SCV '89 show where a strategically placed vocal might have worked.

NO - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO! DON'T PUT ARMS ON THE VENUS DE MILO! - OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!

Again, tell me what does narration/singing bring to the table?............

It gave us a magnificent 2005 Cadets drumspeak feature, one of the highlights of last season and something that could not have been accomplished well without amps.

There. Now you know.

Projecting ahead, there will be other success and failures, same as with horns, drums, flags, etc.

HH

Exactly. It completely depends on the show. Like anything else, it can be done poorly or done well, but it depends entirely upon the individual show whether or not it fits. I don't always like amps and vocals and such, but I can think of a few place in SCV '89 show where a strategically placed vocal might have worked.

Again, worked for what? They already scored 98.8. What would it have added? Would they have scored higher because of it?

Or am I hearing do it, just because you can?

Which is ultimatley what i am trying to get across in this thread.

I

Again, worked for what? They already scored 98.8. What would it have added? Would they have scored higher because of it?

Or am I hearing do it, just because you can?

Which is ultimatley what i am trying to get across in this thread.

I

Yeah- I think we all get what you're trying to say. It's the same thing a lot of people have tried to say weekly, if not daily on these boards for three seasons. What some of us are trying to say, whether you agree or not, is that we believe narration has the potential to make things better, and that we're willing to let some corps designers make mistakes while allow others to succeed at it.

No one is saying that narration would instantly make every show better. No one's arguing that narration has been used effectively in every single instance. All we're saying is that there's been some isolated times that it's been used where some have liked the effect and that it is likely to happen again in the future.

It's subjective, folks. Clearly it will never please everyone- but isn't that the case with all art in the history of the world? One man's neat effect is another's encroachment upon tradition... and that's fine, as is a healthy dialogue on the subject.

Personally, I'd like error on the side of creative freedom than traditional restriction. Maybe it's because I'm relatively young to the activity compared to some of you, and maybe it's because that's essentially why DCI was founded, but regardless, it's my carefully crafted opinion, which is equally valid as anyone else's on the subject, whether or not it's the opinion that you would like to hear.

Although I would generally prefer shows without amped singing and narration, it is usually short and only temporarily distracting. I just broke down yesterday and bought the 06 DCI Season Pass. In listening to the clips, it struck me that the amped pits are overwhelming the brass. Is this noticeable at live shows?

Vic Russell