Current DCA Standings

Well maybe because Brigs had to compete against last year's top 3 corps and Hurcs and CV only had themselves to compete with? Who knows since they weren't competing all together. This should be interesting comes DCA weekend!

Go Brigs!

Lets also not forget that the Brigs had an off weekend before Lewisburg except for those of us that came in to fill up the holes. Plus those of us that did come to fill the holes had just learned the rest of the show. Once we are all confident and performing we could very well make a jump ourselves. Personally though I am just looking forward to getting our achievement of the book up to the level where the book is written. The scores & placements will all shake out from there.

Best of luck to all corps!

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well maybe because Brigs had to compete against last year's top 3 corps and Hurcs and CV only had themselves to compete with? Who knows since they weren't competing all together. This should be interesting at DCA weekend!

I was going to say the same thing, meaning no disrespect to ANY corps being discussed here.

Some of the scoring will get sorted out in Kingston, but some will have to wait until DCA weekend.

Should be a great competitive year across the board, that's fer sure!!!

Well maybe because Brigs had to compete against last year's top 3 corps and Hurcs and CV only had themselves to compete with? Who knows since they weren't competing all together. This should be interesting comes DCA weekend!

Go Brigs!

That's the point of my question. Do the different circumstances mean that the scores are not comparable?

That's the point of my question. Do the different circumstances mean that the scores are not comparable?

Technically, yes...

But, we do like to compare them anyway. And they do give us a generalization of what the current standings are. If I may quote my original post:

Since DCP isn't running their ranking system for DCA corps, here's what Finals would look like if only the corps with scores were in it, and their most recent scores were the ones that counted:

For all of those who keep harping about how comparing scores of different corps at different shows (and even on different dates) isn't 100% accurate, we realize this. But we do it anyway. Why?

1) Because this is a competetive activity, and like any other competetive activity we like to see how the home team stacks up.

2) Because, even though they are slightly innacurrate, comparing standings is at least partially accurate. But only for that one moment in time. It may not be a good way of predicting who will win it, but it is a good guage of how far some corps need to go in order to win (or even get into Finals).

Go Brigs! Go Govies! Go Chops! Go Everyone!

Edited by CallipygianKing

I can't speak for the East coast this season, since my corps is on the west coast, but I will say that the west cost scores are completely irrelevant.

Exactly. Not comparable.

My feeling is the same. And I suspect (though, I admit it is a barely-informed observation- so don't flame me) that the scores MAY tend to be higher at a show in the absense of the top few corps.

We'll see in a couple of weeks when the mix is different, and I'll be all wet, or closer to being right about this.

It's tiresome to have to do this, but... THIS IS NO KNOCK ON THE HURCS OR CV, just an observation about the comparative scores for the weekend. I have no dog in the fight, and as a fan, watching the out-of-town scores is part of the activity. And comparative scores IS ACTUALLY THE SUBJECT OF THIS VERY POST! If you you can't compare scores from different shows,at least for discussion, what is the point of the rankings at the start of this post?

And in the absence of anyone else commenting on this, I am either WAY off or it's yet another DCP NO-NO to mention whether a score might be high or not.

Edited by brassomaniac

And comparative scores IS ACTUALLY THE SUBJECT OF THIS VERY POST! If you you can't compare scores from different shows,at least for discussion, what is the point of the rankings at the start of this post?

There is no point. It's fun anyway. And some people get far too hung up on the fact that there is no point, therefore spoiling some of the fun.

And in the absence of anyone else commenting on this, I am either WAY off or it's yet another DCP NO-NO to mention whether a score might be high or not.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. This is, after all, a discussion board. Everyone on this board is, to some degree, an armchair director (unless they're one of the few actual directors that talk frequently here).

hey Cozy....thanks for the DCWorld backissue...;d forgotton jeff an I wrote that article!

See ya in Rachester!

Sam,

It was a pleasure to deliver that DCWorld to you. You and Jeff put a lot of work into the January open house of Nightfire. I just re-read the article again. What we do for drum corps. November 12, 1994 was the open house of my new corps. I still run into former members throughout corpsdom, staffing corps and bands.

Can't wait to see Dream in Rachacha. Say "hi" at the party, I&EMC!